Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 650i M-Sport Coupe
Survey on hardwiring

2013 650i Coupe.
I have an appt at the dealer to see about hard-wiring my radar detector into a switched source somewhere around the rear view mirror AND hard-wiring my Droid X Proclip mount to a switched source....somewhere (mounts by center vent).
http://www.proclipusa.com/image.aspx...-4.jpg-350x350

So the question/survey is....do I:

1. Try and do this myself. I did it on my GM, but not familiar with this setup and don't know where to find a switched power source for either one. Is there a write-up for the F13 models somewhere for either scenario?

2. Pay out the whazoo for the dealer to do it (assuming they will)?

3. Take it to an audio shop and have them do it?

All opinions and thoughts welcomed.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
It should not be difficult to tap into power by the rear view mirror since there is power there already. There is a fuse box on the glove compartment so that would be a good place to get power for the phone.

If you are thinking of letting someone else install I would use a good high-end audio store. They will probably charge you 1/4 what the dealer would and can easily handle the job. Just make sure you see some other European cars in the shop to ensure they are familiar with BMWs.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 650i M-Sport Coupe
Yeah, finding a install shop that I trust is going to take some research. I may have to drive up to Raleigh NC to find a good one. I have almost talked myself into an iPhone. After fighting it for years, I'm starting to cave. My hospital just announced it will only be supporting the iPhone for corporate synch and then there's the car and all the things you can do with an Apple product you can't with an Android (wouldn't need the mount or hardwire). Still thinking.....
Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Generally I am not an Apple fan but I do have an iPhone. You just can't beat the universal 3rd party support and the high quality apps.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater