Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i - Steel Gray
Extended Maintenance & Warranty - difference?

I just purchased a 2003 325i with 46k miles from a private party and I am currently researching the extended maintenance and warranty. I need some help here. Was is the difference, ie coverage, between the extended maintenance and the extended warranty? I am just looking to educate myself and I am a newbie. Also, ballpark figures, how much does it cost to extend each one to 100k miles?

Thanks as always!
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
The point is kinda moot to purchase a product from BMW as they are only available to the original purchaser of the car.

Just FYI....
extended maintenance covers the scheduled services (oil changes, inspections, etc)
extended warranty covers things that break

If you want an extended warranty you will have to go 3rd party. Be careful as those companies go bankrupt fairly frequently.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Peter

Mein Auto: '03 German Panther Li
I would tend to disagree with that as the maintenance (maybe even the warranty), follows the car, not the original owner. So if the car purchased had 4yr/50k miles maintenance, it can be extended to 6yr/100k miles by current owner for about a grand (depending on the model).

Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Warranty - to fix it if it breaks.

Maintenance - to keep it from breaking.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:19 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_sissy
I would tend to disagree with that as the maintenance (maybe even the warranty), follows the car, not the original owner. So if the car purchased had 4yr/50k miles maintenance, it can be extended to 6yr/100k miles by current owner for about a grand (depending on the model).
What you have stated is NOT true.

The original warranty and maintenance plan definitely follows the car. Any extension to those plans (above the 4/50 that comes with the new car) can ONLY be bought by the original owner OR could be added by the dealer in the CPO process. The 2nd owner CANNOT purchase an extended BMW warranty or maintenanace plan after they have purchased the car.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce

The original warranty and maintenance plan definitely follows the car. Any extension to those plans (above the 4/50 that comes with the new car) can ONLY be bought by the original owner OR could be added by the dealer in the CPO process. The 2nd owner CANNOT purchase an extended BMW warranty or maintenanace plan after they have purchased the car.
Strange. I asked my SA all about the extended warranty and maintenance plans the first time I brought my old 330 in for work. This was a car he definately knew I just bought with 29k miles on it (i.e. not the original owner). I chose not to buy either but I could have bought both on my non-CPO'd car. "The warranty and maintenance follow the car just like the service records follow the key," he said.

He might be wrong, but if that's true then there's misinformation coming straight from the dealerships.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Anyone have any idea of how much does it cost for extended warranty 6 years/100,000 miles from easycare? For now the dealer offer me 4 years/100,000 miles for $3,800 (both warranty/maintenance).
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Warranty - to fix it if it breaks.

Maintenance - to keep it from breaking.
That's not quite correct. The maintance program covers scheduled service and some wear items like brake pads and rotors. The maintance program keeps it braking.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325csi
I think that this discussion is comparing apples and oranges. I purchased a 2002 325 csi privately before the original warranty/maintenance period ended. My BMW dealer honored it for the remainder of the original period and then (before the end) sold me an extended warranty. However, the extended warranty was with a third party, not BMW. The extension does not cover maintenance but the warranty is equivalent to BMW and transparent to me because the dealer deals with the thrid party providing the coverage.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Peter

Mein Auto: '03 German Panther Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce

Unfortunately you are still wrong, as I am the 2nd owner and made the extension purchase before the original maintenance expired. Through a dealer.

Peter
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ilkhan4 Send a message via MSN to ilkhan4
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGT
Strange. I asked my SA all about the extended warranty and maintenance plans the first time I brought my old 330 in for work. This was a car he definately knew I just bought with 29k miles on it (i.e. not the original owner). I chose not to buy either but I could have bought both on my non-CPO'd car. "The warranty and maintenance follow the car just like the service records follow the key," he said.

He might be wrong, but if that's true then there's misinformation coming straight from the dealerships.
Of course the warranty follows the car, but only if the first owner has purchased it. Once it transfers to you, you can no longer extend the warranty. However, if it's already been extended, it still applies.

Maintenance, however, can be extended at any time before the existing maintenance plan is up. I know because I extended it from 3/36k on my 2001 M Coupe to 4/50k and I was the second owner at the time.