Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 3.5i
New 3.5i, 12mpg?!

I've just purchased a new X5 3.5i and haven't yet burned through the first tank of gas that was in the car when I took delivery with 3 miles on it. I'm consistently showing about 10-12mpg and there's black soot all over the back of the car indicating that it's running very rich. The dealer is telling me to run another couple of tankfuls of gas through it before I bring it back in for service saying that this is normal. I'm smelling bovine scat but was curious what the collective wisdom here thought about my fuel economy and exhaust debris? The car has only about 250 miles on it.

I'm thinking bad gas from the dealer and hoping that it'll clear up when I put a fresh tank load in it. Hopefully nothing bad will come of it otherwise.

Thoughts?

Wes
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
What kind of driving?

Give it another tankful, but if it is highway driving I'd insist that look at it- and not just pull codes but look at fuel trims.

BTW, I've driven over a million miles and never had a tank of 'bad gas'. Yes it happens, but not nearly as often as rumored. IMO

A
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 SAV
I've had my 2011 3.5i SAV for about 20 months and I only get 17mpg for 12mile each way commute to work on 75% highway and 25% city streets. Not brilliant fuel economy and not spirited driving either. I'm attributing it to the wider 20" SAV tyres. It works out to be about 350 miles between fill ups of premium.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
I just got my X5 Msport 5.0 yesterday and it says 6.2 around town for the first 100 miles

Im not paniking yet

Im sure the car needs to be broken in to determine an accurate gauge!

but this sound makes it worth it..........
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 12-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I really don't think broken in occurs in such a short period of time. I have noticed that the X5 35D has consistent given me the same results in fuel economy. It is a function more of the driving style and path I take. I am sure the break in occurs after about 50k miles. Until then, break in is really a slow and gradual pace. You are effectively polishing the engine with stress.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
I just got my X5 Msport 5.0 yesterday and it says 6.2 around town for the first 100 miles

Im not paniking yet

Im sure the car needs to be broken in to determine an accurate gauge!

but this sound makes it worth it..........
Rob

Welcome to the club!

The club of trying to make it to the next gas station
Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I've just purchased a new X5 3.5i and haven't yet burned through the first tank of gas that was in the car when I took delivery with 3 miles on it. I'm consistently showing about 10-12mpg and there's black soot all over the back of the car indicating that it's running very rich. The dealer is telling me to run another couple of tankfuls of gas through it before I bring it back in for service saying that this is normal. I'm smelling bovine scat but was curious what the collective wisdom here thought about my fuel economy and exhaust debris? The car has only about 250 miles on it.

I'm thinking bad gas from the dealer and hoping that it'll clear up when I put a fresh tank load in it. Hopefully nothing bad will come of it otherwise.

Thoughts?

Wes

Thats the new reality of a BMW turbo. I've had the same experience in my brand new 5.0, except my milage is about twice as bad. Get used to the black tips and the smell. Or get a mercedes

Here is my writeup on the deal. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657057
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
Thats the new reality of a BMW turbo. I've had the same experience in my brand new 5.0, except my milage is about twice as bad. Get used to the black tips and the smell. Or get a mercedes

Here is my writeup on the deal. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657057
I looked around before I posted and did see your thread on the experience you've had with your X5M. I hope your wrong about having to get used to this because if my car continues to leave black soot all over the back of it and get a consistent 12 mpg, that'll be unacceptable. There's no reason for this car to run that rich.

One thing I did notice in the owner's manual is that they approve the use of E10 gas but no higher. I wonder if the factory A/F map doesn't account for the only gas I can buy, E10 and if an additive would help? Also, we should all be watching the E15 mandates that look to be gaining inertia in the USA - that's going to spell trouble for our warranties.

Back on the soot and fuel econ - my wife and I are driving it very sedately. We're occasionally getting it on the 2nd pipe but not always in around town driving. I wonder if I could get better mileage driving it in manual mode and keeping the revs up a bit but with still a light touch on the throttle?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
Welcome to the club!

The club of trying to make it to the next gas station
Vette or anyone else that has an Msport is that the best gas mileage uve gotten since purchase? in the 6's?

Has anyone in the service depts been able to explain why these cars cannot get the advertised mileage or even close?

ROB

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I looked around before I posted and did see your thread on the experience you've had with your X5M. I hope your wrong about having to get used to this because if my car continues to leave black soot all over the back of it and get a consistent 12 mpg, that'll be unacceptable. There's no reason for this car to run that rich.

One thing I did notice in the owner's manual is that they approve the use of E10 gas but no higher. I wonder if the factory A/F map doesn't account for the only gas I can buy, E10 and if an additive would help? Also, we should all be watching the E15 mandates that look to be gaining inertia in the USA - that's going to spell trouble for our warranties.

Back on the soot and fuel econ - my wife and I are driving it very sedately. We're occasionally getting it on the 2nd pipe but not always in around town driving. I wonder if I could get better mileage driving it in manual mode and keeping the revs up a bit but with still a light touch on the throttle?
It's nice to try and calm yourself, theorize about different gas grades and formulations, unfortunately that's not going to reduce the smell, increase your milage or cleanup the soot being expelled out of the tips. So better get used to it

Last edited by z51vette; 12-21-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I really don't think broken in occurs in such a short period of time. I have noticed that the X5 35D has consistent given me the same results in fuel economy. It is a function more of the driving style and path I take. I am sure the break in occurs after about 50k miles. Until then, break in is really a slow and gradual pace. You are effectively polishing the engine with stress.
MPG improves past 10k miles on the diesel
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 sport M-package
I believe there is a big difference in highway and city

mileage - when I drive on highway I am close to 20-21 mpg, however city driving is very gas consuming.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium68 View Post
mileage - when I drive on highway I am close to 20-21 mpg, however city driving is very gas consuming.
When u say consuming
Any actual #'s for city driving for u sir
Rob
ps which model do u have

Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:

Thoughts?

Wes
I drove my 2013 X5 3.5 from the factory in South Carolina to my home in Maryland and could have made it without stopping for gas. On the Maryland beltway I get 25-26 mpg, on weekends driving locally it drops to about 19-20. Since I drove from the factory directly home the only breakin period was the request to keep it under 100mph for the first 1000 miles I owned it. I don't think you indicated in your original post you had an M - maybe I missed it - but you're getting worse mileage than our 2007 Yukon Denali which averages 14mpg on a good day.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
I drove my 2013 X5 3.5 from the factory in South Carolina to my home in Maryland and could have made it without stopping for gas. On the Maryland beltway I get 25-26 mpg, on weekends driving locally it drops to about 19-20. Since I drove from the factory directly home the only breakin period was the request to keep it under 100mph for the first 1000 miles I owned it. I don't think you indicated in your original post you had an M - maybe I missed it - but you're getting worse mileage than our 2007 Yukon Denali which averages 14mpg on a good day.
Mine's a 3.5i gas and I have an update on this since yesterday. For the entire first tank full of gas the onboard computer was reporting 10 - 12 mpg even after being reset at the beginning of the day several times. With exactly 300 miles on the car I put 20.5 gallons of premium Exxon gas in it which on my calculator says I actually got 14.63 mpg - not terrible. The real kicker though is that I put about 80 miles on the car today and now the computer is telling me that I'm getting 17.6 mpg average consumption in my urban (well, as urban as Annapolis gets) holiday driving.

My conclusion which I've already informed the dealership of is that they put a load of bad gas in my car before delivery. I'm personally suspicious that they knew that given the advice I got from their service desk who told me it would get better after another tank or two of fuel. Leaving that aside, I'm pretty happy with the way the car ran and the economy I'm getting now. I romped on it several times so it wasn't all *****footing around and still got over 17 mpg. YMMV.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 sport M-package
I have 35I Premium and when I said gas consuming

I meant about 11/12 mpg in city.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
MPG improves past 10k miles on the diesel
Is that considered a " low blow " ???
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Mine's a 3.5i gas and I have an update on this since yesterday. For the entire first tank full of gas the onboard computer was reporting 10 - 12 mpg even after being reset at the beginning of the day several times. With exactly 300 miles on the car I put 20.5 gallons of premium Exxon gas in it which on my calculator says I actually got 14.63 mpg - not terrible. The real kicker though is that I put about 80 miles on the car today and now the computer is telling me that I'm getting 17.6 mpg average consumption in my urban (well, as urban as Annapolis gets) holiday driving.

My conclusion which I've already informed the dealership of is that they put a load of bad gas in my car before delivery. I'm personally suspicious that they knew that given the advice I got from their service desk who told me it would get better after another tank or two of fuel. Leaving that aside, I'm pretty happy with the way the car ran and the economy I'm getting now. I romped on it several times so it wasn't all *****footing around and still got over 17 mpg. YMMV.
That's great to hear happy for ya
I'm sure mine will be the same scenario
Rob

Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

The dealer could have left it idle for a day. This would ruin the mileage.

It CANNOT explain why you kept seeing only 10-12mpg even after reseting the mpg, although I wonder if there is some digital 'history' in that calculation.

If the dealer used 87 octane, I'd only expect 1-2mpg worse.

If the dealer put in a few gallons of diesel before someone caught the error, different story!

A
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Well this explains it
Barely touching the throttle on this beast and the MPG gauge goes to 12 ....lol

It is what it is....cant wait till i romp on it after 1500 miles and see what the mpg is then.

im on this planet once, mind as well spend a ton of money on gas!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1 (9).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	354093  

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM

As an addendum, I use premium only - from Costco so I have no idea what "brand" it actually is. I think they sell 87 reg and 93 (or maybe 91) as premium - last tank was $3.44 per gallon (gas station in my neighborhood charges $4.19).
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
Is it just me or does it annoy the crap out of you guys as well when people say 3.5i or 3.5d? The engine is a 3.0L inline 6 ... PERIOD. And the models are 35i or 35d.

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way ... I've driven my car almost 7,000 miles over the last 4 months. It's a 2013 X5 35i and I average around 17/18mpg if I run 75% Highway and 25% City. It's a lot worse than I expected. When the wife drives it in town only (we live in Chicago) it's around 10mpg. It's really bad.

I also have the problem with the exhaust spitting out black stuff and it never gets better, apparently. I love the car a great deal, I still think it's the best car I've ever owned, but the fuel economy (or lack thereof) is pretty ridiculous.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
As an addendum, I use premium only - from Costco so I have no idea what "brand" it actually is. I think they sell 87 reg and 93 (or maybe 91) as premium - last tank was $3.44 per gallon (gas station in my neighborhood charges $4.19).
We buy a lot of gas at Costco also. When I mentioned this to my dealer salesperson, he said I should go talk to the dealer's service people about Costco and Sam's Club gas. I haven't verified this but he said that every time they've seen a clogged injector on a car it's been an engine that's been fed a steady diet of Costco/Sam's fuel. It was his strong recommendation to not put their gas in these newer BMW engines - something about not adding Techron or some other additive that just about everyone else adds. That was right before I drove off with what was apparently a bad load of gas that the dealer put in the car.

grilodan, my apologies for offending your sensibilities. I'm new back to BMW after a 10 year hiatus from their cars and not that familiar with why they call the new models what they do. I'll be sure to name it correctly when I post.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM

I will admit that I will get Shell or BP every several tanks because Costco gas doesn't indicate it has any "detergents". I used to pass a Costco with a gas station on my way home from work daily, but as I will likely retire in a week I won't have access to a Costco gas station (but I also won't be driving 96 miles a day).
Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 650i M-Sport Coupe
Jeez-o-pete, that's bad. I averaged 27mpg highway in Comfort+ mode during a recent 400 miles trip and the car had 32 miles on it when I left. Use BP gas only (free since the company pays for it )