Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
My stock exhaust mod

At the risk of ruining all of my credibility in this forum, i'd like to share my free exhaust mod, and i'm pretty happy with the results.

All of the exhaust shops in my area close before i get off work, and i'm not really interested in taking a day off for car modding right now. Eventually i'll change this out for some magnaflow quads, bu this will hold me over until then.

I took a page out of the Honda Civic Ricer's handbook for this one. I was bored on a sunday morning and decided to experiment, just to see what would happen, if it sounded like crap, i could easily patch it back to the way it was.

with an angle grinder, i made 2 slits on each pipe (4 total), just in front of the muffler. The slits are about 3 inches long the whole thing took less than 5 min.

The results are amazing. Totally silent at idle, just like stock, revving sounds similar to stock, but with more volume, more deep bass, a little more crackle. There's no additional rasp, no ticking or hissing like you would hear from an exhaust leak. Inside the car, i can actually hear what the engine is doing now, rather than being totally silent like it is in stock form, i can hear it about as well as any average car, and NO HIGHWAY DRONE, I can't really say for sure but it may be close to stock volume at highway speed, I can't tell with music on. This should hold me over until the Magnaflows come.

If you are wearing good headphones, this video is a pretty good representation of how the new setup actually sounds. i may make one more cut and open it up a little more.

Advertisement
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Forgot to add, WOT in the cabin sounds AMAZING!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
You know, I have often thought about just drilling a couple of holes in the pipe to see how it would sound, I like the initiative for this mod!!! To be honest I have never desired more exhaust note enough to give it a try, I just never hit that tipping point of actually giving it a shot.

The reason I thought of that was due to my previous car, many Porsche folks would put in a "bypass pipe", from before to after the cans to deliver a mix of unfiltered sound. Seems like this does the same. There are some M6 folks who have put in bypass valves on the BMW to open a direct output from the pipes with a cabin controlled switch.

In the end if it delivers the sound you like then it is a worthwhile mod.

Last edited by tampamark; 10-19-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Custom Emblem Maker :)

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Convertible
Sounds pretty good
I LOVE my magnaflow though

2007 650i Convertible - 20" Lexani BBS Rims
MagnaFlow cat back exhaust system
Old 10-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
You know, I have often thought about just drilling a couple of holes in the pipe to see how it would sound, I like the initiative for this mod!!! To be honest I have never desired more exhaust note enough to give it a try, I just never hit that tipping point of actually giving it a shot.

The reason I thought of that was due to my previous car, many Porsche folks would put in a "bypass pipe", from before to after the cans to deliver a mix of unfiltered sound. Seems like this does the same. There are some M6 folks who have put in bypass valves on the BMW to open a direct output from the pipes with a cabin controlled switch.

In the end if it delivers the sound you like then it is a worthwhile mod.
if by Bypass Valve, you mean exhaust cutout, i've been there, done that. i had one on my camaro back in my college days. it was cool to go from sporty to drag car loud by flipping a switch, but i had so many issues with the dam thing, and it was so dang expensive, i'll never do cutouts again.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Great idea.

BTW Mattymetzger did a bypass valve himself. The sound is crazy loud with the ports wide open and I don't think it was too expensive.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 10-20-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
I just recently had a X-pipe installed and my resonators removed with not much of a difference. I still want a little bit more throatyer sound though so I am going with a MagnaFlow of some kind as soon as I can figure out whats the best model for my car.
Once I am about to pull the trigger on the new muffler I was going to see if I could snake a 1 inch drill bit down the exhaust pipe to the muffler and drill a hole or two like kids did back in the old days to see what difference it would make.....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades

Last edited by coug60; 10-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Post vids bro! Im still looking at exhaust options. I considered removing the resonators but just decided not to due to mixed reviews and poor descriptions on youtube. I'd be interested in hearing a drilled out stock muffler as well.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:19 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eval6series View Post
Sounds pretty good
I LOVE my magnaflow though
So are your MagnaFlow mufflers any louder and what model did you get?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades