Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Re: Bluetooth without iDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljumper View Post
Signed a 3 year lease on a 328i this past March and just assumed that bluetooth audio streaming would have been a standard feature! Geez, my 2012 Camry SE had BT streaming and touchscreen (non-entune) standard.

I did ask the salesman if it had bluetooth to which he answered yes.. and it does have bluetooth, for calling, but not for audio streaming. C'mon you cheap bastards!, you're better than that!! Just glad I'm leasing it so I can ditch it soon..

Anyways, just ordered this thing on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , half the price of the crackberry gateway and just as Chinese

The blackberry gateway might be more expensive but it saves you from turning the module on and off all the time. Instead it comes on when you start your car and goes off when you turn your car off. Much cleaner and more OEM like.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
The blackberry gateway might be more expensive but it saves you from turning the module on and off all the time. Instead it comes on when you start your car and goes off when you turn your car off. Much cleaner and more OEM like.
Dang, when you're right you're right! I didn't think about the switching on/off and was somehow mesmerized by it having a battery.. I'll give the cheapie a try but will probably end up sending it back and going with the BB gateway
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
Bluetooth without iDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwelle View Post
I have a 2014 X1 without iDrive, and an iPhone 5. Bluetooth works great for calls, etc, but not for music and I get why -- they chose not to enable bluetooth audio streaming for the "Professional" Radio.

I see that many of you have suggested the Blackberry Music Gateway. Before I buy one of those, has anyone tried the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver instead? It's half the price, and also seems to somehow not require a separate power input, which would leave the USB port free to charge the iPhone itself...

thx!
I have the Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver. Overall, I like it. It works well and is hiss free. The audio does sound a little compressed, but there's a mod you can do to fix it. There's a metal plate inside that can be removed, and that helps the audio quality.

It does need power, and I use the 12V port with a USB charger. That leaves the USB port open.

I have my iPad Mini mounted to my dash. I play the audio from the iPad to the Belkin. My iPhone still answers through the pro radio.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by tonydetiger; 08-07-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Dang, when you're right you're right! I didn't think about the switching on/off and was somehow mesmerized by it having a battery.. I'll give the cheapie a try but will probably end up sending it back and going with the BB gateway
Got the BB gateway yesterday and it's like the OEM experience.. good BT sync and turns on and off with the vehicle. The sound out of this thing is pretty low though, as someone had previously mentioned. The sound from the cheapie is much louder and better.. i guess it's not a big deal but i'll need to make sure and latch my seatbelt as the incredibly loud 'ding' can be somewhat un-nerving

Peace out folks, slayer is in the queue and ready to jam!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Help!

So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 PM

So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!
Edit/Delete Message
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM

As I understand it, you have to have the Premium package to get the Bluetooth for the phone.

When you hit the MENU button, it should look like this Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1376165636.158566.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	390791

Also, the area around the map lights should look like this. If you don't have the SOS button, then you don't have Bluetooth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1376165764.348465.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	390792

Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
As I understand it, you have to have the Premium package to get the Bluetooth for the phone.

When you hit the MENU button, it should look like this Attachment 390791

Also, the area around the map lights should look like this. If you don't have the SOS button, then you don't have Bluetooth.

Attachment 390792

So what exactly would the phone button on the steering wheel & the one near the radio be for?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Without the Bluetooth module, those buttons do nothing.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Regarding the blackberry device, is the cigarette lighter necessary? I am looking for a solution that wouldn't require external wires. If the device needs to be plugged into the cig lighter at all times, and then also plugged into the aux port under the arm rest, I imagine the tangle of wires would get annoying. Can it be charged via the usb port next to the aux port under the arm rest?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm1283 View Post
Regarding the blackberry device, is the cigarette lighter necessary? I am looking for a solution that wouldn't require external wires. If the device needs to be plugged into the cig lighter at all times, and then also plugged into the aux port under the arm rest, I imagine the tangle of wires would get annoying. Can it be charged via the usb port next to the aux port under the arm rest?
The problem with the USB port in the armrest is that it is always on, at least in mine it was. I ended up using the cig adapter in the armrest and plugging in a usb power adapter in there which powers the blackberry. all out of sight and quite seamless
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
The problem with the USB port in the armrest is that it is always on, at least in mine it was. I ended up using the cig adapter in the armrest and plugging in a usb power adapter in there which powers the blackberry. all out of sight and quite seamless
If you are comfortable with doing a little wiring, you can get a mini fuse tap and hardwire a new cigarette lighter next to your fuse box behind your glove compartment. From there you could run a microusb charger from cigarette lighter and a 3.5 from the aux port to the glove compartment and stash the blackberry device in your glove compartment out of sight and mind. I did this. It works great.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i

No cig lighter in my '13 F30's arm rest, and def not comfortable running wire. Would keeping something like this plugged into the USB, draw enough power while parked and off, that it would have negative effects on car battery life?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: x1
I tried pairing my Iphone 5S with 2012 BMW X1 but it was unsuccessful. I tried couple of times but it always says unsuccessful. I deleted my old one but still won't work. Any help.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Which carrier do you use?