Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
I did the update on my E90, just pressed the button once to turn electronics on without starting the car and it worked fine. Also, I had the file on the root of the USB drive, but also had other files on there without a problem.
This was also my experience in my 2012 E93 and iPhone 4. As others have mentioned, the texts work fine (actually significantly reduced delay time between iPhone notification and iDrive notification ), but no email.

I did notice that only the Telephone update was applied - no multimedia update registered on the iDrive screen. I wonder if this is due to my skipping from the 1004 update to the 1006 update without doing the intermediate 1005 update?

2012 335i E93 Le Mans Blue | Saddle Brown | M Sport | Convenience | Cold Weather | Premium | PCD 7/19/12
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I installed the update on my car and emails and texts now appear for my iPhone 5. I did have to change the notification settings for email to show alerts rather than just badges.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Does the email/messages thing only work with iPhones/iPods?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
Does the email/messages thing only work with iPhones/iPods?
it's worked with blackberry for years...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
A couple of things I've noticed with the new firmware since uploading it last week:

- Faster response and connectivity for phone calls over Bluetooth.

- Faster text messaging sync, the envelope icon appears almost instantaneously to an iPhone audible alert.

- The ability to re-name FM and AM radio stations instead of relying solely on RDS data (cleans up the HUD and Presets list).

- When reading a text or playing back audio text the name of the sender is now in the message and is read back to you.

- Better Bluetooth streaming for Pandora, faster response time, less lag for song title info, seems to sound better too.

- New icons in the shaded box display.

- Email with iPhone still not functional.

- Siri still works just as well as it did after the last update, just press and hold the iPhone 'home' button and speak over the car's mic and speakers.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Anyone know whether the new cars being built will have this update? Seems as though they should.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Anyone know whether the new cars being built will have this update? Seems as though they should.
It's something you download for free online and install in 2 minutes via a thumb drive:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

If yours doesn't have it from the factory, you pop it in when you get home, no worries. You need a full VIN to get the file specific for your car.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Installed update, iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2, emails don't work. Haven't noticed any other changes or improvements.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Another fix you now get an audible notification as well through the speakers. Not just for email but you also get audible notification for any app that has one so for example the gmail app on iOS you can hear the 'ding' through the car speakers.
That is AWESOME news! I was silently hoping there would be an update that fixes this before I get my car and there it is! So cool! Now I wish there was some progress in my car production. I received the production number from my CA before Christmas and when I go to bmwusa the car isn't even showing in production yet.... :-|

Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
According to my CA the dealer is supposed to make sure the latest firmware/software is installed before the delivery so... apparently YES!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
According to my CA the dealer is supposed to make sure the latest firmware/software is installed before the delivery so... apparently YES!
Mine wasn't but it really does take only a couple minutes.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
A couple of things I've noticed with the new firmware since uploading it last week:

- The ability to re-name FM and AM radio stations instead of relying solely on RDS data (cleans up the HUD and Presets list).
Hmmm, I performed the update but do not have the ability to rename stations. Is this something only applicable to cars with NAV? Doesn't make sense if it does.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Hmmm, I performed the update but do not have the ability to rename stations. Is this something only applicable to cars with NAV? Doesn't make sense if it does.
Not sure.

I listen to WFAN in New York and it's FM RDS information reads something like WFAN FM SPORTS RADIO and when it 'stuck' in my Presets it read "M SPORTS RA" which looked ugly.

Going to Radio > FM > 109.9 and then hitting the "Options" button there is an option to "Rename Station".

It doesn't appear for ESPN Radio FM, just WFAN FM, not sure why. Perhaps it's station-specific.

BJ

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

BMW tests a lot with the iPhone, I would be curious if anyone has the 6.1 iOS beta installed if that has email working with this latest comm update.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Not sure.

I listen to WFAN in New York and it's FM RDS information reads something like WFAN FM SPORTS RADIO and when it 'stuck' in my Presets it read "M SPORTS RA" which looked ugly.

Going to Radio > FM > 109.9 and then hitting the "Options" button there is an option to "Rename Station".

It doesn't appear for ESPN Radio FM, just WFAN FM, not sure why. Perhaps it's station-specific.

BJ
This is why I never use RDS—the funky readings like this.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:

- Faster text messaging sync, the envelope icon appears almost instantaneously to an iPhone audible alert.

- When reading a text or playing back audio text the name of the sender is now in the message and is read back to you.

- Better Bluetooth streaming for Pandora, faster response time, less lag for song title info, seems to sound better too.

- Siri still works just as well as it did after the last update, just press and hold the iPhone 'home' button and speak over the car's mic and speakers.

BJ
Nice. Will this update get rid of my idrive coding? If so id rather not update.

And i thought it was weird when using siri with BT on, it seems to dial my own number. Strange.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Nice. Will this update get rid of my idrive coding? If so id rather not update.

And i thought it was weird when using siri with BT on, it seems to dial my own number. Strange.
No, this update only affects Bluetooth and audio functions.

When using Siri, the display acts as if it's in a phone call because Apple and BMW have not integrated Siri fully. That is coming in a few months.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Well it's coming sure but no guarantee that our geriatric 12 month old tech ever gets an update.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Well it's coming sure but no guarantee that our geriatric 12 month old tech ever gets an update.
As relates to the email feature not working that's on Apple, not BMW. BMW supports the Bluetooth protocol for email, Apple as yet does not.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
As relates to the email feature not working that's on Apple, not BMW. BMW supports the Bluetooth protocol for email, Apple as yet does not.

BJ
I think that that is semi-correct. The email support via Bluetooth is there in the iPhone but somehow whatever handle/variable/handshake to enable the transfer of emails via Bluetooth automatically between the iPhone and the Combox (in that order) is not happening at Bluetooth pairing.

It just happens that the email transfer is only enabled if the number of displayed email messages is changed manually at the iPhone after pairing.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I think that that is semi-correct. The email support via Bluetooth is there in the iPhone but somehow whatever handle/variable/handshake to enable the transfer of emails via Bluetooth automatically between the iPhone and the Combox (in that order) is not happening at Bluetooth pairing.

It just happens that the email transfer is only enabled if the number of displayed email messages is changed manually at the iPhone after pairing.
I wonder if the NBT Navs have this same limitation? They no longer have a Combox. Or at least it's "integrated" as I understand it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:

I also think its an Apple issue as e-mail and SMS worked perfectly on my Blackberry. Now that I have an iPhone 5, I have to adjust the phone every time I want to see e-mail.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:

BJ
What are these new icons BJ?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
So what does that mean number of displayed email messages "changed manually"? On the car?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
So what does that mean number of displayed email messages "changed manually"? On the car?
iPhone->Notifications->Phone->Show