Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 07-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 A3 3.2 quattro DSG
Deactivated airbags...

Received the ED packet today - exactly 3 weeks before delivery. The car has been in "Awaiting Transport" status for a few weeks now. To my surprise the "rear side airbags" option in the doc I received today has a "(deactivated)" qualifier. Did a search and found the following thread which explains the reason behind it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ag+deactivated

I remember the salesman trying briefly to discourage me from this option but he didn't mention the deactivation part. I do have 2 kids - almost teenagers and would like the bags to be active.
From the thread above it seems that I'll have to wait for the US dealer to finish the job. Or can this be done at the Delivery Center? Anyone did it?
Thank you all, this forum is a great resource.
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan prem/sport
I had exactly the same issue. I bought one w/o rear airbags and one with rear airbags and had no idea that they were not ready to go....but, I had to have the dealer activate them for me...and of course, asked for a receipt noting the activation, just in case something ever happened and they did not deploy.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 530
I found out the same thing when I picked up my car at ED. I actually got them because I have children back there. My kids aren't little anymore, but it would have been nice if someone explained this action a little for us who are buying it.

Does anyone know at what age kids should not be with the rear air bags? And under what conditions?

Also, exactly what is the procedure for activation?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan prem/sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis
I found out the same thing when I picked up my car at ED. I actually got them because I have children back there. My kids aren't little anymore, but it would have been nice if someone explained this action a little for us who are buying it.

Does anyone know at what age kids should not be with the rear air bags? And under what conditions?

Also, exactly what is the procedure for activation?

I believe the age is 12, but I am sure you need to evaluate your childrens size, physical condition and maturity...hopefully, it will never be used---but nice to know you have a bit of extra precaution with the airbags. As far as activation, just ask your dealer...I am not sure of the exact procedure.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 AM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvbmw
I believe the age is 12, but I am sure you need to evaluate your childrens size, physical condition and maturity...hopefully, it will never be used---but nice to know you have a bit of extra precaution with the airbags. As far as activation, just ask your dealer...I am not sure of the exact procedure.
I think it's a height/weight requirement (12 sounds about right for the average sized 12 year old) and a maturity requirement. It states in the manual that you should have the rear airbags deactivated if you think that the kids might fall asleep with their head in the inflation zone.

As an aside, the dealer did activate the rear airbags for us for about 9 months, then deactivated them when it got close to my wife's due date. They can deactivate them electronically, but they also disconnected the wiring inside the doors (I believe that's per BMW specs).

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330CIC
Rear Air bags

The issue of rear side air bags as I understand it is not absolutely a size and weight issue. The issue is if they fall asleep in the back with their heads resting on the side panel and the bags should deploy. They make you sign a waiver in order to activate them because they are not meant to deploy into a kid's head. It is meant to deploy at shoulder height or below. I ordererd them for my car and this whole area was never explained to me and BMW obviously feels that they are best used by adults but never informed me of this and I wasted my money because I have young kids and it is questionable whether I will activate them before I sell my car.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 530
I'm in the same mode as you are with the kids issue. I got them specifically FOR kids, and no one and no-where was there any mention about not using them with kids.