Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-21-2004, 09:10 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
ED BE EZ Part I

OK, I'm finished bothering everybody else, so here's our trip in a nutshell, pics/more to come later:
Sunday 6 June: Horrible flight to Chicago/Frankfurt courtesy of V. Wilson Travel Inc.
Monday: Arrive Munich. Super cab ride to city center (Hotel Torbrau, which is great) Drinks with Brent and Melinda ACROSS from the Hofbrauhaus that night.
Tuesday: U-Bahn to Delivery Center, pick-up the Imola Red 330ci ZHP w/no problem, get lost big time in Munchen and have fun with the new car. Then off to Nordlingen via Autobahn and some back roads. Good time in a sleepy little old round walled city.
Wednesday: To Wurzburg, old hotel Wurzburgerhof from the turn of the century; best palace in Germany and a super fortress overlooking the city.
Thursday: Heidelburg via back roads...wonderful drive down the Neckar river most of the way into town and then up into the hills over the castle to our hotel, Park Atlantic.
Friday: Up the A5 FAST to Linden/Geissen (Where I lived while working in Germany a few years back) to see old friends.
Saturday: Much partying...summer bonfire in Linden.
Sunday: Flea market and dinner with a friend's family.
Monday: Shopping excusion for the wife...more partying with friends.
Tuesday: Off to Limburg (Best preserved meideival city in Germany) and to the Rhine. Up (Or down) the same to Rudesheim, ferried across to Bingen, down (or up) the other side almost to Koblenz and took a great twisty, hilly, narrow and fast back road (Pushing a Boxster all the way) to the Moselle. Followed the river to Zell, stayed in a good hotel and had a bit of schwartz katz.
Wednesday: Into Luxembourg and France heading for Reims...French autoroutes excellent but the countryside looked like Kansas on the Turnpike but with many, many more toll stations. Speed limit 130kph but everybody going much faster. Drove into Reims looking for a hotel and gave up. Decided the best thing to do was get to Paris and stay close to the airport, which we did. Found space-ship Hyatt and took a room, which was superbly overpriced and a definate overdose of culture shock (A CAN of beer was 9 Euros) and they charged me 25 Euros to park in a basically empty lot.
Thursday: However, the hotel was 10 minutes from TTTransit and the lovely Myriam, so that went well. Bye bye to the red Bimmer and then Air France bus to the Arc de Triomph. A very interesting drive around the monument and down the Champs de Elysee by taxi to the Hotel Meurice...you must take a taxi in Paris.
Friday: Walk, shop, drink, eat, walk, shop, drink, eat.............................
Saturday: Ditto. But we saw everything and ate, drank, shopped and slept quite well.
Sunday: Taxi to the airport and another screwed up flight home courtesy of V. Wilson Travel Inc. And more about that later, believe me. A lot more.
Car was super, weather was great...got it to 130mph @ 5,000rpm @ 1,150 miles (Shhhhh, don't tell BMW).
Woody
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2004, 10:12 PM
BMW believer

Mein Auto: 2004 330iZHP/2001 Audi S4
Sounds like a great time!

And I hope to do the same (130+ at some point...perhaps with 1000 miles or so under the belt...so likewise shhhh)

Curious how long it took meandering on the Nekar between Wurzburg & Heidleburg - we are thinking of doing similar (from Rothenburg)...and the drive is worthwhile? (part of my family came from one of the towns along the Nekar near heidlburg somewhere I think...I have it written down somewhere...)

And please do tell - wineries along the Mosel...ya?

We'll be spending 3 nights in some very small toen near Cochem...(Bilestein?) something like that...)

2004 330i Sedan - ZHP - Imola Red - alcantara, xenons, cold w/hole in roof, silver cube
2001 Audi S4 Avant - Nogaro Blue, St3, AWE ex/dp, Stptch brks, KW coilvrs, h-sport sways, EVO CAI, B & M ss, Clmster st3 LtwtFW - etc
1964 1/2 Mustang Conv - 289 4 bar V8 - Vintage Burgundy - unrestored/near mint - 53K miles
[B][SIZE=2]
Old 06-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Sound like you had a great time aside from the flights. Are pictures forthcoming?

So are you keeping the TI? I kind of miss mine.

Last edited by LDV330i; 06-21-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawk
Sounds like a great time!

And I hope to do the same (130+ at some point...perhaps with 1000 miles or so under the belt...so likewise shhhh)

Curious how long it took meandering on the Nekar between Wurzburg & Heidleburg - we are thinking of doing similar (from Rothenburg)...and the drive is worthwhile? (part of my family came from one of the towns along the Nekar near heidlburg somewhere I think...I have it written down somewhere...)

And please do tell - wineries along the Mosel...ya?

We'll be spending 3 nights in some very small toen near Cochem...(Bilestein?) something like that...)
We drove from Geissen to Limburg (A town I reccommend visiting) to the Rhine, down the Rhine and back up almost to Koblenz. There's a "short-cut" through a beautiful forest to the Mosel and then to Zell...about 6-7 hours. But, curiously, there was NO traffic this early in the season, that could have added an hour or two. Wineries every few feet! The trip from Wurzburg to Heidelberg took about 4 hours and is a lovely drive...one of the prettiest I've done, lot's of castles. You get a bit of Autobahn and then backroads along the river. Yes, Bielstein, pretty town.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:12 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Sound like you had a great time aside from the flights. Are pictures forthcoming?

So are you keeping the TI? I kind of miss mine.
Pictures coming when I get the cards back from the photo shop. Ti is for sale, but I kinda got screwed because there's another Club Sport for sale in the Roundel this month much cheaper than mine. Don't want to give it away though. I was amazed at how popular the Compacts are in Europe...they were everywhere. I got some pictures of new ones at the Delivery Center with basically the same ZHP aerodynamic package and wheels as the 330ci. Also pics of two Mini convertibles! I don't think I could keep the ti after driving the 330ci, it was fun but the power and technology are just tooooooooooo much more on the 330. The car got a lot of looks in Germany, definately unique and the growl did turn some heads! Only saw one other Imola Red Bimmer, a convertible and I think it had the ZHP package not an M3.

Last edited by woody underwood; 06-22-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Woody, congrats on the trip. Good to know that it worked out well for you (except your flight). Now you must endure the longest 6 weeks of your life.

Did the car wash card work out?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:11 PM
BMW believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody underwood
We drove from Geissen to Limburg (A town I reccommend visiting) to the Rhine, down the Rhine and back up almost to Koblenz. There's a "short-cut" through a beautiful forest to the Mosel and then to Zell...about 6-7 hours. But, curiously, there was NO traffic this early in the season, that could have added an hour or two. Wineries every few feet! The trip from Wurzburg to Heidelberg took about 4 hours and is a lovely drive...one of the prettiest I've done, lot's of castles. You get a bit of Autobahn and then backroads along the river. Yes, Bielstein, pretty town.
Woody I had read about Limburg and its cathedral and was considering a stop - depends on the route we will take from Rothenburg to the Rhine. We wil be staying our first night at Castle Liebenstein on the East bank and there is a cut over from Limburg. But if we do the Nekar that would put us South and East of Heidleburg and we would likely not do Limburg (don't know) - with the possibility of travellign up from Heidleburg along the East bank of the Rhine passing through Rudesheim and seeing the Niederwald monument. Don't have our exact route determined just yet - so any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope it will be as traffic free the end of July as you experienced!

Yes we will be staying in Bielstein after first spending a little time in Bacharach...so I imagine we'll be all over the place in the Mosel region...with, of course, a side trip up to Nurburing!!!!!

2004 330i Sedan - ZHP - Imola Red - alcantara, xenons, cold w/hole in roof, silver cube
2001 Audi S4 Avant - Nogaro Blue, St3, AWE ex/dp, Stptch brks, KW coilvrs, h-sport sways, EVO CAI, B & M ss, Clmster st3 LtwtFW - etc
1964 1/2 Mustang Conv - 289 4 bar V8 - Vintage Burgundy - unrestored/near mint - 53K miles
[B][SIZE=2]
Old 06-22-2004, 05:43 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325SMG
Woody, congrats on the trip. Good to know that it worked out well for you (except your flight). Now you must endure the longest 6 weeks of your life.

Did the car wash card work out?
Car had a few bugs on it and a little rain stuff, Miriam said we didn't have to wash it! So I still have the card and will pass it on to someone else...did pass the Total station on the way in though, thanks!!
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawk
Woody I had read about Limburg and its cathedral and was considering a stop - depends on the route we will take from Rothenburg to the Rhine. We wil be staying our first night at Castle Liebenstein on the East bank and there is a cut over from Limburg. But if we do the Nekar that would put us South and East of Heidleburg and we would likely not do Limburg (don't know) - with the possibility of travellign up from Heidleburg along the East bank of the Rhine passing through Rudesheim and seeing the Niederwald monument. Don't have our exact route determined just yet - so any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope it will be as traffic free the end of July as you experienced!

Yes we will be staying in Bielstein after first spending a little time in Bacharach...so I imagine we'll be all over the place in the Mosel region...with, of course, a side trip up to Nurburing!!!!!
You can get everywhere a lot faster than you think, so you'd probably be able to see everything you want to even with a little backtracking. I reccommend seeing the Neiderwald Monument...it is spectacular and a killer view of the valley. Limburg IS worth visiting if you can work it in...park in the garage right under it if you can and the park frei signs are usually wrong, so if full try anyway.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 PM
BMW believer

Thanks - I'll just have to see what we can do. But good news...and I'm the type who wants to do it ALL!!!

I'd take you up on your car wash credits - but we'll likely be at friends (out in the country near Fountenblue) and I'm sure I'll manage to wash it there..and it will be a nice way to say (temporary) goodbye to the car!

[B][SIZE=2]
Old 06-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
You mean Limburg an der Lahn?
Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Pictures coming when I get the cards back from the photo shop. Ti is for sale, but I kinda got screwed because there's another Club Sport for sale in the Roundel this month much cheaper than mine. Don't want to give it away though. I was amazed at how popular the Compacts are in Europe...they were everywhere. I got some pictures of new ones at the Delivery Center with basically the same ZHP aerodynamic package and wheels as the 330ci.
Somehow I don't think that's a ZHP compact package you saw () but the M Sport II package (on which the PP is based, as any fule kno by now) is becoming very popular, as BMW steadily drops the price of its options and packages in prep for the new 3er next year. I assume that the Delivery Centre was not only for cars going to North America? I have not heard of European Delivery for countries on other continents (Japan, Oz etc.)...
Old 06-23-2004, 02:17 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
You mean Limburg an der Lahn?
Yes, that's the town. Has nothing to do with cheese.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:19 PM
ZHPper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
Somehow I don't think that's a ZHP compact package you saw () but the M Sport II package (on which the PP is based, as any fule kno by now) is becoming very popular, as BMW steadily drops the price of its options and packages in prep for the new 3er next year. I assume that the Delivery Centre was not only for cars going to North America? I have not heard of European Delivery for countries on other continents (Japan, Oz etc.)...
I wasn't sure what it was, but it "looked" like a ZHP Compact. I have pics and will post them soon.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 PM
ZHPper

First picture

At CDG on the way to drop-off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDG3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	32909   Click image for larger version

Name:	delivery6.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	32914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Off to dropoff.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	32947  

Last edited by woody underwood; 06-24-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:41 PM
ZHPper

assorted pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	delivery7.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	32920   Click image for larger version

Name:	330tiZHP.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	32938   Click image for larger version

Name:	linden garage.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	32940   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini cabriolets.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	32941  

Last edited by woody underwood; 06-24-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
ZHPper

ED BE EZ Part IIIIII Some more pics

Delivery Center, Linden, Paris, Munchen, Heidelberg Etc. und the wonderful Frau!!! (Who finally learned how to read a map)
More info about the pictures kinda in order: Castle in Geissen, my parking place at hotel in Heidelberg (An original Maybach was just meters away), parking at Torbrau, getting ready for drop-off at the Hyatt (Ick), covered parking at hotel in Linden, 2 Mini Cabriolets, new ti at delivery center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	330 castle.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	32944   Click image for larger version

Name:	At Heidelberg.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	32945   Click image for larger version

Name:	torbrau.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	32946  

Last edited by woody underwood; 06-25-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
Sounds great! Tell us any more you've got on the Hotel Torbrau.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 PM
ZHPper

Everybody here say's it's too high priced (E160/night) but we found it to be delightful. Great location and they did watch the car via TV and in person. I could have sat in the cafe for days watching cars (And a few people) go by. You name it...we probably saw it including a 2002tii Touring!
Rooms were very nice and it was air-conditioned, only one we had until we got to Spaceship Hyatt at CDG. 2 blocks from Marienplatz, U-bahn across the street. And a grocery for cheap beer 1 block away. I'll put some pics of it up.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:40 PM
ZHPper

Hotel Torbrau Munchen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Room @ Torbrau.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	32997   Click image for larger version

Name:	the Torbrau.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	32998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torbrau breakfast.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	32999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torbrau parking.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	33000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torbrau rest..jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	33001  

Old 06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
Wow, woody, thanks for documenting the Torbrau with those photos!

It was Tanning machine who introduced this board to the Torbrau:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=torbrau

But those photos really give a great idea of what it's like.

Last edited by postoak; 06-25-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:57 PM
weissbiermeister

Mein Auto: F355 GTS, '11&'14 535Mspt
Quote:
Everybody here say's it's too high priced (E160/night) but we found it to be delightful. Great location and they did watch the car via TV and in person. I could have sat in the cafe for days watching cars (And a few people) go by. You name it...we probably saw it including a 2002tii Touring!
Rooms were very nice and it was air-conditioned, only one we had until we got to Spaceship Hyatt at CDG. 2 blocks from Marienplatz, U-bahn across the street. And a grocery for cheap beer 1 block away. I'll put some pics of it up.
Love the cheap, excellent beer in the grocery stores. 1/2 liter Augustiner for .65E!
What did you drink?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdreiSMG
Love the cheap, excellent beer in the grocery stores. 1/2 liter Augustiner for .65E!
What did you drink?
I myself just drank beer all the time. It was easier to come by than water and I figured it has enough water to keep me hydrated anyway
BTW, Emdrei, aren't you on MAERSK TAIYO as well? I seem to remember you mentioning it. Aren't we docking tomorow? Considering we're both in CA, how long do you think it will take to get our cars from now? You wanna bet...
Old 06-25-2004, 09:14 PM
ZHPper

Yes, Tanning Machine was who turned me on to the Torbrau, it's a great place. I don't mind spending a little more for something conveniently located, historic and with a nice staff. What I do mind is paying $220+ a night at places like the CDG/Paris Hyatt with nothing to do, $30 a night parking, $10 CANS of Heineken (I could have even got an American "Bud" if I'd wanted). Now that's disgusting, but desperate men (And their wives) do desperate things.
So we found the grocery in Munich and I bought six-packs of Spaten 1/2 liters for 3 Euros!!!!!

Last edited by woody underwood; 06-25-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:47 PM
ZHPper

Bmw Cca/na Rebate

My $500 check came today and helped pay my Mastercard bill. Don't forget this all you BMW CCA EDers!!!