Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Single cylinder misfire, request to watch video/listen to your car

Background:
In the last day my B7 began having a misfire on cylinder 1. Initially cylinder 2 misfired as well (next to cylinder 1), though that error has not returned since the very beginning. I swapped the spark plug and coilpack with cylinder 3; however, the misfire remained at cylinder 1. The exhaust definitely smells like it's running rich. My thoughts are that an intermediate lever broke or came dislodged somehow, causing one of the intake valves to no longer open and making the cylinder run rich (there was oil, gas, or oil+gas on the business end of the spark plug in cyl 1 as well). Also, maybe it threw an intermediate lever piece at cyl 2's valve assembly initially as well, causing the earlier cyl 2 error.

No smoking, slightly low coolant (but I don't believe enough to support a blown head gasket theory), no clanging/knocking inside the cylinder type of sound that would suggest cylinder / valve damage.

Put ear to screwdriver, and screwdriver against injectors while running, and all sound the same.

My request:
Please watch this video, paying attention to the hollow-ish / sloppy kind of sound when I remove the oil filler cap. Keep in mind this is mostly the same 4.4L N62 as in the 745's (but with a supercharger slapped on top and a few beefed up internals). So, anyone who has a 745 with a few spare minutes, can you remove your oil filler cap like mine and tell me if you get the same fairly loud very hollow sound? It could just be the vacuum pump right there, but I'd appreciate feedback to know for sure.

If someone has any other thoughts on this, I'm all ears... looking to do as much troubleshooting and deduction as possible before pulling everything apart. Thanks in advance!

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Dude... I feel sorry !!!
I have the same sound just checked but I don't like those fumes you have in your video!!!
Did you check compression? I guess no compression there;(
I guess it's the gasket between 2 cylinders... Or scored cylinder
Makes sense: supercharger creates excessive heat inside the cam. So.... I doubt it's anything related to valves or valvetronic

Last edited by SFbay; 12-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
I have a 750 but I can get a video for you tomorrow. The only other thing I can think of is a leaking fuel injector causing the injector to dump too much gas into the cylinder making it run rich.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Master Tinkerer

Haven't checked compression or swapped injectors yet, those are on the list though. Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745LI
Sup kief , same sound as well
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Master Tinkerer

Thank you, sir, must just be vacuum pump making that noise.

Well, intermediate levers look good. Injector swap is next I guess. Should have swapped injectors before removing valve cover. Dangit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Thank you, sir, must just be vacuum pump making that noise.

Well, intermediate levers look good. Injector swap is next I guess. Should have swapped injectors before removing valve cover. Dangit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Injectors usually never die on these cars. Plus don't forget to erase misfire errors, bc it cuts the fuel off for bad cylinders.
It's either head gasket, crack in the head, or less likely scored cyl
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Account Under Review

So, any updates?? Hope nothing serious...