Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
My New X1 Ride

I have had my car for two weeks and I love it. Its beautiful and such a fun drive. I ordered it on 8/31/12 and I picked it up at the dealer on 10/26/12 so it was exactly 8 weeks. It seemed like years though. My build is:

X1 xDrive28i
Le Mans Blue Metallic
M Sport Line
Nevada Coral Red Leather
Ultimate Package
Lighting Package
Heated Front Seats
Harman Kardon surround system

I was able to get it for 5% off MSRP.

I love the handling and sporty feel. You can feel it hugging the road on corners. Those who don't like that feel would probably do without the sport suspension. The steering is solid. I found that the servotronic steering too light. I made the dealer re-order the car because the first build didn't have the paddle shifters.

I was aprehensive about the red leather seats when I ordered it but I love it. In some pictures I saw before I ordered it, it seemed to be day glow red but in person it is a rich red. Depending on the light intensity it goes from a light red to a deep brown red. The combination with the Le Mans Blue is awesome for me.

I got the rear windows tinted and bought a roof rack and snowboard holder. I ordered it before I heard about the changes that were coming to the M sport line so I have the 18" summer performance mixed tires. I'll have to put a set of winter or all season tires before hitting the slopes this winter.

I don't have BMW Apps and its fine for me, I don't need to see the album art on the display. I can still play Pandora but with the BMW iPhone cable the song titles don't always update on the display. When the phone is connected through Bluetooth and using Pandora the song title updates all the time. There is also another quirk with the Bluetooth. When you connect with the iPhone cable and then connect to Bluetooth you have to re-enable the Bluetooth streaming audio for music. It took me a while to figure that out.

I have only put 320 miles on the car so its still in the break in period. I'm still on my first full tank of gas and its getting about 18 miles per gallon. I expect that to go higher as it loosens up.

I don't mind the auto start/stop feature but I had the dealer reprogram it to default to the last setting. The engine is not as smooth as a 6 cylinder but I was looking for more fuel savings on this model. I was coming from an Audi A3 lemon (it was in the shop 4 times this year alone). The X1 feels more powerful and handles better. I cant wait until the break in period is over so I can floor it and feel the full acceleration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	348905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	348906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	348907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	348908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	348909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	348910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3210.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	348911  

Last edited by Wolfex; 11-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I have had my car for two weeks and I love it. Its beautiful and such a fun drive. I ordered it on 8/31/12 and I picked it up at the dealer on 10/26/12 so it was exactly 8 weeks. It seemed like years though. My build is:

X1 xDrive28i
Le Mans Blue Metallic
M Sport Line
Nevada Coral Red Leather
Ultimate Package
Lighting Package
Heated Front Seats
Harman Kardon surround system

I was able to get it for 5% off MSRP.

I love the handling and sporty feel. You can feel it hugging the road on corners. Those who don't like that feel would probably do without the sport suspension. The steering is solid. I found that the servotronic steering too light. I made the dealer re-order the car because the first build didn't have the paddle shifters.

I was aprehensive about the red leather seats when I ordered it but I love it. In some pictures I saw before I ordered it, it seemed to be day glow red but in person it is a rich red. Depending on the light intensity it goes from a light red to a deep brown red. The combination with the Le Mans Blue is awesome for me.

I got the rear windows tinted and bought a roof rack and snowboard holder. I ordered it before I heard about the changes that were coming to the M sport line so I have the 18" summer performance mixed tires. I'll have to put a set of winter or all season tires before hitting the slopes this winter.

I don't have BMW Apps and its fine for me, I don't need to see the album art on the display. I can still play Pandora but with the BMW iPhone cable the song titles don't always update on the display. When the phone is connected through Bluetooth and using Pandora the song title updates all the time. There is also another quirk with the Bluetooth. When you connect with the iPhone cable and then connect to Bluetooth you have to re-enable the Bluetooth streaming audio for music. It took me a while to figure that out.

I have only put 320 miles on the car so its still in the break in period. I'm still on my first full tank of gas and its getting about 18 miles per gallon. I expect that to go higher as it loosens up.

I don't mind the auto start/stop feature but I had the dealer reprogram it to default to the last setting. The engine is not as smooth as a 6 cylinder but I was looking for more fuel savings on this model. I was coming from an Audi A3 lemon (it was in the shop 4 times this year alone). The X1 feels more powerful and handles better. I cant wait until the break in period is over so I can floor it and feel the full acceleration.
Great looking car. 18 MPG sounds ridiculously low. Keep us posted on that. What roof racks did you order? How do they fit?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM

I should have said that I am doing about 90% city driving so far, no long highway trips. The MPG has been inching up slowly. It started around 16 and has slowly gone up to about 18.6 currently. I haven't put the roof rack on yet and plan to do a fit check this weekend.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Very nice! Looks like you went darker on the tint than I did. What % is that?

The Coral Red looks good. I'd like to see the red with the crosshatch aluminum trim.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM

The tint is 80%.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
What changes are coming to the M Sport?

Last edited by Ex-One; 11-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
She is a beauty! Congrats. I'm going to assume, when you tint the windows the auto mirror dimmer would not register bright lights and then would not dim the rear view or side mirrors? Have you noticed? I haven't tinted mine yet because driving in urban areas I really like the auto dim feature.

2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013x1 View Post
She is a beauty! Congrats. I'm going to assume, when you tint the windows the auto mirror dimmer would not register bright lights and then would not dim the rear view or side mirrors? Have you noticed? I haven't tinted mine yet because driving in urban areas I really like the auto dim feature.
I can't speak for the x1, but in my previous car the tint did not have any real affect on the auto dimming features in the mirrors. The sensors will still sense light, tint just lets less light through, so it will dim darker the brighter it thinks the light is, in many cases with tint you won't need it to dim, but when you do need it it will dim fine.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Tint won't have any effect. The auto dimming feature senses bright spots relative to ambient light and dims them. Lights will still be bright relative to the darker ambient lighting from the tint.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
Nice ride! I am looking at the X1 myself. Also thanks for the note about getting 5% off MSRP on a dealer order. I haven't ever done an order yet, but I'll need to if I go with the Valencia Orange.

-=My Garage=-
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, and Tech Pkg
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Premium Pkg, Xenons, Cold weather pkg, Nav - RETIRED
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Cold weather pkg, Nav
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Lauren Thatcher Ulrich
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: Varies
Had to bump your thread and ask how you are liking the red interior ? I can't find one to see in person (and cant be sure it is the same as the Coral Red in the different leather of the older 3 series ive seen) and am trying to determine if its super bright or not. Hoping its more muted and less pink hued then it photographs. Also does the wood trim go well with it? Any feedback appreciated
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkled View Post
Had to bump your thread and ask how you are liking the red interior ? I can't find one to see in person (and cant be sure it is the same as the Coral Red in the different leather of the older 3 series ive seen) and am trying to determine if its super bright or not. Hoping its more muted and less pink hued then it photographs. Also does the wood trim go well with it? Any feedback appreciated
I've seen it in person, and it's not bright, but it is really REALLY red. Just my .02.

-=My Garage=-
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, and Tech Pkg
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Premium Pkg, Xenons, Cold weather pkg, Nav - RETIRED
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Cold weather pkg, Nav
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Lauren Thatcher Ulrich
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkled View Post
It's a little les pink than the pictures online show. The cameras are usually very sensitive to blue and skews the pictures. To me the color ranges from a deep earthy (brownish) red in sunlight to a light red in florescent. It's not for everyone.

Wood trim helps soften up the interior for me and brings more warmth. The aluminum would have looked great but it would have been too cold.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Questions:

Is the Panaromic moonroof tinted (even slightly)? Does sun get in the eyes of the driver or passengers when open? Anyone considered tinting the moonroof?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM

The moon roof is not tinted and sun can hit you if it's overhead. In my previous Audi A3, I had the moon roof tinted since there was only a see through shade. The X1 has a sliding cover so I didn't see the need to get it tinted.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
I wish they will make X1M and make it manual! Ah, these automatics...