Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 i 2008
OBD 2 scanner

Looking for cheap OBD 2 scanner for 2008 BMW E60 and AUDI Q7. I have one which used to work on my lexus 2002 but give me error in my audi.
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
For your BMW you'd be better off with something that can read BMW specific codes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I have a cheap scanner I bought from Harbor Freight years ago for about $50. I think they have something like it, possibly the exact same thing, in an add right now but I can't find it on-line. I haven't tried it in the BMW yet but the interface has to be the same, according to U. S. law, so I am sure it will read the codes and I will be very surprised if it doesn't reset them too. The book that came with it only has the generic codes in it but that covers most things. If the reader gives you a code that is not in the book it is time for some help from your on-line buddies.

I also have NCSExpert and use it some. I could read codes that way too, I guess, but the little Harbor Freight reader works fine and is easier and quicker to use. The simple readers/cancelers will not give you any information about what the sensors are transmitting, they just read codes. Fancier readers and laptop programs will do more things but cost more and/or are more involved to use.

I haven't tried it yet but the cell phone/tablet program torque is also supposed to be able to read and cancel codes. There is a free version but I paid $5 for it as an app for my samsung tablet. You have to also get a device to send the OBDII signs to the tablet via bluetooth. I paid about $25 for that. All I've used torque for so far is to create additional "guages". I've displayed water temperature, voltage, air-fuel mixture, and other things my bimmer does not display. I don't have a good way to carry the tablet in the car yet but torque works for this fine. For reading codes you could do that parked.

Jim
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
You could get the Autoenginuity
http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/D...uity_Tool.html

The basic tool will work on all 3 of your cars and if you get the BMW Expansion, it will still work on all 3 cars and it will give you Expanded codes & diagnostics for your BMW

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 528xi
Holy crap, those are spendy code readers.

I'm in the market too....

How do they compare with these?

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

Last edited by tmartin000; 12-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Hi
I forgot to mention the Bavarian tool as well

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/D...n_Technic.html

Do take a look at our website and select one of the tools, scroll to the bottom of the page and you can take a look at some screen shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin000 View Post
Holy crap, those are spendy code readers.

I'm in the market too....

How do they compare with these?

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 528xi
Ok, now i see what the difference are between the Professional vs. Enthusiast. My question then moves to coding.

Is there a list?
All supported commands are listed under the Commands option for the control unit.
Mouse-over any information or warning icons to view activation-specific pop-up messages

That, to a newbe, doesn't really expound much.

Basically, I'm down to the two brands mentioned. the Bav Tool or the BMW Autoenginuity Scan Tool.

This is phucking maddening.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
It depends on how much involved you want to get but NCSExpert has more capability, not less, than the Bav Tool. For $100 for the cable you can have a very capable way to code you car. It could be used to read "check engine" codes but it's overkill for that IMHO. The Bav Tool will only support an in-kind replacement for the battery. It will do the coding if you replace with the same type and size of battery. With NCSExpert you can change the battery type and size. That is just one example of the difference.

But the other difference is the documentation for NCSExpert is nearly non-existant in any "normal" form. You can find tutorials and blogs on-line but nothing resembling a manual. I haven't used them but I would bet that both much more expensive options are much more normally documented.

Just judging from the Bav Tool website I would also guess the interface is much more easily followed with it as opposed to NCSExpert. But if you want the most bang-for-the-buck, I believe that is conclusively NCSExpert. I think it is the older tool used by BMW dealers (i.e. one they used to use). It will do a lot but figuring out how can be challenging.

Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Just wanted to weigh in on a code reader solution I got that seems to work great on my 2004 Tundra and also on my wife's 2006 BMW X3. It's a Bluetooth OBDII connector that you pair up to and Android powered smart phone. Here is a little write up/review I did for it and for the Torque Pro app, hope it helps some folks, reading these codes and being able to get information from your ECU is awesome! I was able to read some codes on the X3 (the seemingly common P0174 and P0171 Too Lean Bank 1 and 2 codes) and clear them which turned off the SES light.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader and Torque Android App Review