Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Heated Seats Electronic Switch / Click Sound

Anyone ever notice an electronic switch / (single) click sound when turning on heated seats?

The sound is normal, as Iíve noticed same since new and on other cars as well, but I now have the following intermittent problem: when a heated seat is on, the noise not only happens once (when turning a heated seat on or off), but continues multiple times Ė from driverís seat, passenger seat and even in the rear Ė in a sequence that repeats after a few moments Ė even though no settings change.

First surfaced a month or so ago and happened for the third time today. Could there be some type of system fault? Maybe due to water / moisture somewhere? Tons of snow and slush out today, but canít recall the weather conditions the last two times...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2016, 03:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Hey DBS! I've never noticed my heated seat switches making any sound. I assume you may be hearing the actual switch noise, some relay maybe. I think the elements are turned on and off to maintain the setting, like an oven or iron, maybe you have some heating relay starting to make some noise.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Hey DBS! I've never noticed my heated seat switches making any sound. I assume you may be hearing the actual switch noise, some relay maybe. I think the elements are turned on and off to maintain the setting, like an oven or iron, maybe you have some heating relay starting to make some noise.
Hi Mark! Long time; hope all is well!

Yes, there's a definite relay-like sound when a heated seat is turned on; always been like this. Try it next time you're in the car; turn off radio, turn off HVAC, albeit I can hear the noise even with these items on.

It's not the button and not the conductors / heating element, but an electronic switch / click sound.

Only supposed to happen once, upon turning on a heated seat, but mine are intermittently continually clicking in a cycle.

Just drove car home from the city and didn't hear the continual sound, but was happening earlier today...

Last edited by dbs600; 01-24-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E90 328i 6MT sport
It's a relay you hear when turning it on. For decades, BMW heated seats warm up to a fairly high temperature at first so you feel it, then back off based on where you've set them to maintain for the long term. Heated steering wheels do the same thing.

I admit that, in general, My driving situation hasn't been quiet enough to observe whether the relay is part of regulating the long term maintained temperature even though I quite often hear the relay when I first turn it on.

You've raised an interesting question. I'll try to pay more attention.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surly View Post
It's a relay you hear when turning it on. For decades, BMW heated seats warm up to a fairly high temperature at first so you feel it, then back off based on where you've set them to maintain for the long term. Heated steering wheels do the same thing.

I admit that, in general, My driving situation hasn't been quiet enough to observe whether the relay is part of regulating the long term maintained temperature even though I quite often hear the relay when I first turn it on.

You've raised an interesting question. I'll try to pay more attention.
Thanks!

I understand.

Yes, but not simply the relay regulating temperature drop.

This is something where all relays for different seats are clicking, with just one seat on.

Some type of imminent failure or short?

Weird.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-26-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
You could have a fault.
This is the first car I've owned where I hear a faint click(single) when the heated seat is turned on. I only notice it with the drivers seat, not the passengers. Perhaps there are clicks later when the seats reach their set temp but I suspect road noise drowns out the any subsequent clicks.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search