Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 96' 328i
Question on Timing VANOS Unit, P1519 Present.

Hi there - this is actually my first post on Bimmerfest. I purchased a friends 96 328i several months back as a fixer-upper to be my daily driver - I'm a master certified Land Rover/Jaguar technician, but have also worked on plenty of BMW's in my day. Since purchasing the vehicle, I've addressed most of the issues it had - oil and coolant leaks, a leaky intake boot, new alternator/battery, etc etc... The only issue I've got remaining is a pesky P1519 VANOS code that I can't get rid of.

I've often seen this code caused by worn VANOS piston seals, so I ordered and installed the Beisan seals & anti-rattle kit and installed them. The vehicle has a bit more power and is much quieter now, but the code still comes back almost immediately. I recently found out that my buddy had the head gasket replaced on this vehicle several weeks before I bought it, so now I'm thinking there's a chance someone didn't time the exhaust/intake sprockets correctly when they re-installed the VANOS during that job.

Here's my question - I'm finding conflicting info. Alldata, which in this case just looks to have been copied from TIS directly - says that when you install the exhaust/intake sprockets, they need to end up with the holes directly in the middle of the slotted openings. Other places (videos I've found, write-ups) suggest that the threaded holes in the exhaust sprocket need to be situated all the way to the left - does it really matter? as long as the sprockets are in the same place relative to each other, that's all that's important, correct?

Does anyone have a copy of the timing procedure directly out of TIS that they might email me? The spaghetticoder site that used to be around is no longer available. I also need to check the operation of the VANOS solenoid and make sure the piston/plunger moves freely, which I'll do later today. Thanks in advance for any help!
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
I believe one of the stickies (Useful Links) has a link to the Bentley Manual which has pretty good detail on setting the cam timing and vanos removal/installation. I looked in my copy of the Bentley and it states all the way to the left also by the way.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 AM

If I'm reading correctly, the primary sprocket on the exhaust cam is installed with the threaded holes all the way to the left - when the tensioner is installed (before the secondary sprockets are installed) the holes end up in the middle. The secondary sprockets are then installed, with the threaded holes directly in the middle of both sprockets. I'm going to give this a go later today - I believe that when I looked at the sprockets yesterday the secondary exhaust sprocket was misaligned - I didn't touch the intake sprocket but will tear it down to make sure the slotted holes on that sprocket were aligned correctly when whoever did the cylinder head put everything together.

Last edited by Pabs246; 12-23-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 330 rag 328i
I have this same problem after a HG and Head replacement. YouTube has a good video on this. I will be going in after this one in the spring.
I think it has all to do with how the vanos gear slides into the intake sprocket/cam spline. I think if you are one spline off you will get this code.
My E36 runs great after I put on the new head but this code is a pain in the ASS.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM

I know what you mean about getting the vanos in there correctly - from what I've read I've got that done correctly. I did make a discovery today, though - jumping + and - to my VANOS solenoid does nothing (with the solenoid removed.) The pintle doesn't move at all. So obviously my solenoid is gonzo. I ordered a used one from Dr Vanos which will be here later in the week.

I'm surprised, however, that a dead solenoid would throw the 1519 code - I would've thought that it would throw a 1525 or other circuit-related code. Who knows, though.

PM
Old 12-24-2012, 04:51 PM

It's not a sensing type solenoid (no closure verification contacts) so there's no feedback to the electronics that it hasn't moved. It might detect an open vanos solenoid circuit (just speculation as I haven't tested it) but if the solenoid is mechanically stuck then the circuit looks good to the DME. The DME does know the crank position, the relative cam position, and the RPMs so I suspect it's monitoring the vanos advance and when it doesn't see that happening by a certain RPM threshold it throws the vanos code.

Last edited by dc_wright; 12-24-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Spot on. The solenoid fixed it - the new one popped right on out when I applied +/- to it. The solenoid will indeed set the 1525 code if it's unplugged - I left the original solenoid unplugged while I waited for my used unit to arrive from Dr Vanos, and it set a 1525. I'm sure if the DME sees an open circuit or maybe even a short to ground it will set the electrical failure codes, but I suspect that my old unit was fine on the coil side of the solenoid, it just failed mechanically.

Anyways, code gone. Car has tons of power now, and after the anti-rattle kit install from Beisan I can barely hear it run. Cheers.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Outstanding! Thanks for posting the final results! Usually the only indication we get that someone's problem is solved is they drop off the forum.