Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Certified Ninja

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Questions about the iDrive system, '05 545i

I recently bought a 2005 545i and I'm a bit confused about my stereo system, and have a bunch of questions. My iDrive system is nothing like the system outlined in the manual. I think I must have a newer version installed or something

So typically when I was searching Autotrader or whatever, I'd see this iDrive menu:

Well my car doesn't have that. The main menu looks like this:

Its exactly the same as the iDrive demo on BMW's website:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...DriveDemo.aspx

Anyway, so since my manual doesn't apply (it outlines a system that I apparently don't have), I have some questions

-Is this a newer system or just a software update or what's the deal? I take it this didn't come stock on my vehicle? Its really odd (and cool) that out of all the 2004-2007 5 series' that I looked at, the one I ended up buying magically had what seems to be an upgraded iDrive system.

-Is this a common upgrade? Did the older system also have an HDD & USB input? Google searches are yielding very little information and I'm trying to picture what was done to get the iDrive system the way it is now

-I can play MP3 CD's in the dash slot, but not in the 6 disc CD Changer. Is there an update that will allow the CD changer to also read MP3 discs? I read some old forum posts saying NO but they were from like 2008?

-There is some crap music stored on there from the previous owner presumably, but I can't seem to figure out how to delete it. Does anyone know how to delete the stuff on the HDD?

-I have navigation; does this mean my in-dash CD slot will read DVD's? What about MP3 DVD's?

sorry if these have been posted before, and thanks for any responses

Last edited by lrhubanks; 12-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
Did you by chance buy this from Chicago? There was a local 545i for sale that had the newer system in it. That is indeed the new system.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Certified Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
Did you by chance buy this from Chicago? There was a local 545i for sale that had the newer system in it. That is indeed the new system.
Yes I did, from a Ford dealer in West Chicago. So it is a new system and not just a software update? Crazy... The Ford dealer sure didn't seem to know that, because the price didn't reflect it at all.

Awesome really. The entire computer system is incredible.

Last edited by lrhubanks; 12-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm going to play psychic and guess that it's black? :-)

I spoke with the guy and tried to get him to sell me the CIC setup. That's what your newer style Idrive is referred to. Unfortunately it replaced a broken Nav system so he had nothing to replace it with.

Looks like he traded it in on something.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Certified Ninja

Quote:
I'm going to play psychic and guess that it's black? :-)

I spoke with the guy and tried to get him to sell me the CIC setup. That's what your newer style Idrive is referred to. Unfortunately it replaced a broken Nav system so he had nothing to replace it with.

Looks like he traded it in on something.
Well to be fair, I think 60-80% of 545i's are black

No, I'm kidding, yes its black with the dakota leather interior; must be the same one. Yeah the owner must have traded it to the Ford dealer, although that's an odd transition, 545 to a Ford? He must have needed some huge truck.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Well if it's any help, this is the guy's email: bobbypatel@gmail.com

He might be able to tell you a little more about the car.

I haven't used the CIC in person so I can't offer you any info on it but I'd post in the 5 Seres F10 section where that is going to be the standard system.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Certified Ninja

Quote:
Well if it's any help, this is the guy's email: bobbypatel@gmail.com

He might be able to tell you a little more about the car.

I haven't used the CIC in person so I can't offer you any info on it but I'd post in the 5 Seres F10 section where that is going to be the standard system.
That helps a lot; I literally didn't even realize that the system wasn't the original until just the other day. Suddenly it dawned on me, I'm thinking "wait a minute, where is that cross menu that I saw in all the pictures?"

Well that's great news. That more than makes up for my displeasure from the crappy gas mileage. EPA estimated 26mpg on the highway? Yeah right. I hit 22 on a good tank.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: 08' 528i, 89 325i
This kinda erks me a little. I just went through two complete software updates (entire car) and when I asked about updating to the 2010+ interface, I was told that it wasn't possible. Is a hardware update/replacement needed too, or is it simply a software update only?

But to the O.P, great news for you!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM

It's a completely updated system so they weren't lying to you. Plus, as far as the dealer knows, it's a $4000+ upgrade.

Search CIC e60 on eBay.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Certified Ninja

I don't have the latest iDrive controller... Looks like I know my next car project.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: 08' 528i, 89 325i
Quote:
It's a completely updated system so they weren't lying to you. Plus, as far as the dealer knows, it's a $4000+ upgrade.

Search CIC e60 on eBay.
Thanks, I checked it out. It seems like the seller for most of the systems was in Lithuania, but seemed to offer really great support. Definitely looks like the best way to upgrade to integrated Navigation and/or the 2010+ iDrive interface. And the prices are fairly reasonable I believe...
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: E60
thats my old car! how u liking it? installed the CIC shortly before i sold it so never got a chance to really use it

for the record, i didn't trade it in for a ford, haha, i just sold it to that dealer

Last edited by Bp1234; 09-20-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525i
Congrats on the lucky buy

Last edited by G4Designs; 09-20-2014 at 07:06 PM.