Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti G35x
Live in Phoenix, how is the AC?

Hello all!

I'm struggling on the decision between the X3 and Q5. I really like both of them for various reasons, and have tried to read up on the forums to figure out which would be the better driver for me.

Today, my question is about the effectiveness of the air conditioning in the X3 (I've asked the same question about the Q5 over in AudiWorld). I live in Phoenix AZ, and I have to park my car completely exposed to the sun at work.

My current Infiniti G35x does a pretty good job overall. Even on a crazy hot day, the car is fairly comfortable in about 5 minutes.

So, how does the X3 do? I've read a few forum posts about the AC not being great in general in BMWs, but most of the forum posts I've seen on the topic are a bit old.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I hope the new systems are better than the old ones! When the daughter was going to UofA (Go Cats!) I spent time down there in a 7 series and the A/C was not quite useless but next to it as far as handling those 120 degree days! Sold the 7 and bought a Tahoe which I needed for other reasons, but the pleasant surprise was the GM A/C which would chill beef even on the hottest days! Also had airport rental Buicks back then that were also light years better than the 7 series in the A/C category. If you want a benchmark to check the X3 A/C performance against go to the Chev/GMC store and test drive one of their trucks on a 120 degree day back to back with the BMW.

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
I've been very satisfied with the AC. Michigan summers can get quite hot, and the car has always cooled down quickly after sitting 8+ hours in the full sun. I have the Oyster seats which might help a little.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
In addition to evaluating the A/C, take note that the shield over the moon roof in the Q5 is (according to a review I read) more transluscent than the X3 due to the giant size of the Q5's moonroof. That (moon roof size) in and of itself is another issue. The air between the glass and the inside cover gets superheated. The worse it's insulated from the cabin, the more that super heated air will affect the cabin temperature.