Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
P1349 Help

Hi guys. Driving to work today, going up a steep, twisty hill in M mode (auto trans) in 2nd gear at about 5500 rpm's when service engine soon came on. Feels like loss of power and rough idle at stop in gear. In neutral, with rpm at about 1000 feels smooth.

Code is P1349: misfire cylinder 4 with fuel cutoff. Any advice on where to start troubleshooting is most appreciated. I'm working until 2, then will dive in.

Merry F-in Christmas.

Have just 83k miles.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"

Last edited by jonathan2263; 12-24-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Brother Jonathan,

Sounds like a bad coil on the #4 cylinder....try switching `em around and see what happens.

Merry Christmas !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Thanks Bob. I was going to try that when I got home. I know my coils were switched under the warranty but not sure when that was. All records are home.

I'll update when I've done it...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
. All records are home.
Same here...."London Calling" by The Clash currently spinning on the turntable....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Same here...."London Calling" by The Clash currently spinning on the turntable....
Hahahaha...

Update: first , all coils were replaced at about 27k miles as per the recall.

After work, it started and idled just fine, although maybe the secondary air pump sounded a little different, but I'm not sure about that. The cel was not on. I cleared the code and drove home with two stops. It ran just fine up and down the hills, idled dead smooth, no warning light came on and when I scanned it after I got home, there was no current or pending code.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens. I wonder if I just kept it at high rpm's too long and it got angry? I'll update later...

Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Hahahaha...

Update: first , all coils were replaced at about 27k miles as per the recall.

After work, it started and idled just fine, although maybe the secondary air pump sounded a little different, but I'm not sure about that. The cel was not on. I cleared the code and drove home with two stops. It ran just fine up and down the hills, idled dead smooth, no warning light came on and when I scanned it after I got home, there was no current or pending code.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens. I wonder if I just kept it at high rpm's too long and it got angry? I'll update later...
Hopefully it was just a one-time thing....

Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Update: this morning I put it in M and attacked the same hill in the same style as I did when I got the code and misfire, and no problems.

This afternoon I drove home on super slippery roads and had to floor it (in A, DSC all the way off) to slide/drive up two particularly steep but short hills. And again, no problems. It seems to be back to purring like a kitten. Not sure what it was, but maybe the ghost in the machine has fled.

Meanwhile, my front left xenon bulb has gone out. Doh !

Edit: btw, for local festers, it was Ironia Rd from Mendham to Ironia, off rt. 24. Try it, 4 switchbacks in about 1/4 mile. Both directions, up or down the hill, will demand your attention.

Last edited by jonathan2263; 12-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Update on the update: this morning the SES popped on again. I got P0174. It's running dead smooth and idling smooth right around 550, as usual. My first thought is small leak in an intake boot. Since the car is 10 years old this January, I figure go ahead and replace the boots. I ordered them from Max at oembimmerparts today. While I'm in there, I will clean the ICV and MAF.

Meanwhile, I'll do the "spray carb cleaner at the boot test" to see if I'm correct. Hope this does it.

Oh, I cleared the code before I left work, drove home with one stop, and no code present or pending when I scanned it in the driveway. Whatever it is isn't major... Yet.

Any noobs reading this, get a cheap code scanner to keep in your glove box, it's priceless.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
it was Ironia Rd from Mendham to Ironia, off rt. 24..
Didn't Ironia used to be called Pleasant Hill Road? Love the iron ore mines of Dover, Chester, Rockaway, etc.

Anyway, to diagnose the classic misfire, I'd recommend you start here:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

And, the fuel shutoff is covered in detail here:
- Why misfire-related fuel shutoff occurs and how to fix it temporarily (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Didn't Ironia used to be called Pleasant Hill Road? Love the iron ore mines of Dover, Chester, Rockaway, etc.

Anyway, to diagnose the classic misfire, I'd recommend you start here:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

And, the fuel shutoff is covered in detail here:
- Why misfire-related fuel shutoff occurs and how to fix it temporarily (1)
If you bear left at the stop sign, it's Ironia Rd. , if you bear right, it's Pleasant Hill, also good but not quite as challenging.

Thanks for the links. In my searching for info I had already stumbled upon them but extra help is always appreciated. I'm hoping for a quick, easy fix, but if it persists, I may be making your smoke machine.

More to come...

Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Just wanted to update this if anyone stumbles across it.

I replaced both boots today. The upper boot came off easily but the clamps on the lower boot were facing towards the back and I couldn't get any type of tool on them. Ultimately, I just cut away most of the boot and was then able to get a small (6mm) open end wrench on the clamps.

Before I cut the lower boot off, I could clearly see a crack in the small elbow. Obviously, that was my leak. With new boots on, and clamps lined up for ease of future access, it was running quite smooth and feeling peppier than it had recently.

So I'd say, if your getting P0174, and nothing else, get a good look at the intake boots. Also, the old, lower boot felt a lot harder and stiffer than the new boots. Guess eventually the heat gets to these things.

And one final thing. Start to finish was over three hours, but if I hadn't spent so much time trying to get the old boot off clean, and just went straight to the knife, it probably would have taken about 1.5, including cleaning the MAF and getting distracted by shiny bits.

Last edited by jonathan2263; 01-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Just wanted to update this if anyone stumbles across it.

I replaced both boots today. The upper boot came off easily but the clamps on the lower boot were facing towards the back and I couldn't get any type of tool on them. Ultimately, I just cut away most of the boot and was then able to get a small (6mm) open end wrench on the clamps.

Before I cut the lower boot off, I could clearly see a crack in the small elbow. Obviously, that was my leak. With new boots on, and clamps lined up for ease of future access, it was running quite smooth and feeling peppier than it had recently.

So I'd say, if your getting P0174, and nothing else, get a good look at the intake boots. Also, the old, lower boot felt a lot harder and stiffer than the new boots. Guess eventually the heat gets to these things.

And one final thing. Start to finish was over three hours, but if I hadn't spent so much time trying to get the old boot off clean, and just went straight to the knife, it probably would have taken about 1.5, including cleaning the MAF and getting distracted by shiny bits.
Glad to hear the surgery went well , and the patient survived, Doctor Jonathan