Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Radio shuts off, 4x4 / dsc inactive, abs, (!) warning light, transmission fail safe,

HELLO. LET ME EXPLAIN:

I have a 2006 bmw x5. recently I have been having a lot of problems. it all started with my radio turning off then on and my 4x4 inactive warning light would come on. then this would happen: radio cuts in and out, 4 x4 / dsc inactive, abs, (!), transmission fail safe program display pops up, last things was my engine light. once I turn car off and back on sometimes resets. when my abs and (!) warning lights come on I can feel the brakes being applied on my tires. I took it in to mechanic with all lights on, he tells me that its either my transfer case motor or the whole transfer case needs to be replaced. he takes it apart and everything checks out. he tells me all my sensors are working and cant figure out whats wrong. he then tells me he did a master reset so the car is like brand new, I get in my car and my radio doesn't work now and immediately after I leave his lot all lights come back on. I take it back and he tries to fix radio he tells me all fuses are good but cant figure out why my radio is completely dead no sound no audio. he plugs into to scanner, he gets no codes but can turn my radio on from scanner but I will have no display or cant control the radio or station. he also tells me the scanner is picking up codes for low battery and bad alternator, so we agree to get new alternator and new battery. after he fixes the alternator and puts in new battery, the 4 x4 light comes back on the dash and wont go away now and I still don't have a radio!!!!!!

please help me. I need to know if its not the alternator/sensors/battery/transfer case or motors, then what the hell could be wrong with this car?
also what could be wrong with my radio?
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2015, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: x5 e53
x5 bmw trans fail

HI
I had the same problem with the warning lights and it turned out to be the
ABS ECU i had put new (speed sensors abs) on it as scanner stated but then sent abs ecu to be tested and found to be totally shot so got a recon unit and all was great again your radio sounds like its a bad connection hope this helps
Gaz
Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Thanks how much did that cost?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: x5 e53
abs

300 supply only if you can get the numbers off yours you may find 1 on ebay
second hand mine was not available only 6 torx screws to remove it but have to remove n/s head light and mountain bracket
Gaz
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 20005 BMW X5
I had the same issue. It was the alternator charging at 17.4V. Did the put a new or a rebuilt alternator? Check my posting high alternator voltage. 4x4 light will disappear after you drive few kilometres or after few starts. Good luck.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search