Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 5er, 3er
8AT vs. 6MT?

For people who switched from 6MT to 8AT, do you miss manual at all?

I know it is my call but want to hear more opinions on this topic.

Will be placing a new order this week and still contemplating about transmission.

This will be my last chance to drive 6MT due to some personal reasons.

I heard some people regretting not getting manual. Does anyone regret not getting this supposedly wonderful 8AT?

Nowadays even Porches come with DCT on top end models. Does that mean manual is losing its merit?
Ads by Google
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT 6MT
6MT or 8AT

If you have driven 6 MT, which get increaingly rare, and you are undecided, I suppose the 8MT can be a good choice. But if you have driven the 6MT and enjoyed it, why do anything else? That is my take from a 3 series wagon and two 5 series wagons..........
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5335 View Post

Will be placing a new order this week and still contemplating about transmission.

I heard some people regretting not getting manual. Does anyone regret not getting this supposedly wonderful 8AT?

Nowadays even Porches come with DCT on top end models. Does that mean manual is losing its merit?
I won't buy myself a car with a torque converter. It's either a dual clutch or MT car for me. If BMW had a DC trans for the F30 I probably would have opted for it. There are mechanical differences between a DCT and AT. Some people don't care. I dislike torque converts so the choice was simple for me... and no, no merit lost.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I used to drive MTs exclusively. It all ended on one weekend.

Years back, my wife and I drove up to the mountains for a weekend ski trip. We left the kids home with my sister. They were really young at the time.

I ended up getting the worst case of the flu you could imagine. 104 degree temperature and was totally knocked on my ass.

My wife had no idea how to drive manual and didn't even want to learn how...

So I had to drive home. That was a huge influence when it came to my next car purchase. I got an automatic, and ever since then, I haven't missed shifting for myself.

Seriously, automatic transmissions aren't that bad, plus, you can get the sport paddle shifters.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
To a dedicated manual transmission driver, the manual will never lose its merit. The new 8- speed automatic is an evolutionary improvement over previous automatic transmissions, but it is still an automatic.

It is easy to get lost in the terminology. It seems every manufacturer has its own name for an automatic transmission, versus an automated manual transmission. By convention, most automotive experts consider a transmission with a torque converter to be an automatic. OTOH a transmission that has an automated clutch and shifter, but no torque converter, is considered to be an automated manual. Both transmission types have two pedals on the floor.

A conventional manual transmission has three pedals, and some type of a manual shifter lever. Often the shift lever is located on the floor between the front seats. This is the type of transmission preferred by many enthusiasts (including me).

Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i 6MT
I agree with alpinweiss. After interning at BMW Stuttgart when we were in college, my best friend said to me, "Why would anyone buy a BMW without a manual transmission?" I never forgot that . . . .

2013 335i 6MT Sport Line Black Sapphire Metallic w/ M Performance Exhaust

Past:

2011 550i 6MT
2009 135i 6MT w/ BMW Performance Exhaust
2006 330i 6MT

BMW CCA member
Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
As a DIE hard enthusiast of the traditional manual tranny (3pedals) I would say stick
to it. But the way technology is evolving and the amount of cars filling the roadways,
it is so convenient to just have the car shift for you. Keep a traditional MT car for some
fun, or go find one and drive it once in a while.
Traffic sucks nowadays and holding a clutch down and popping it up and down just to
move 20 feet every eight seconds hurts really bad after a while. My next big vehicle
purchase (BMW) will have the adaptive cruise control for stop and go traffic.
All my vehicles are MT except my X5, and at times I wish I had used it for the day.
I say if you do a lot of traffic commuting get an AT, if not or you're young and healthy
get the 6MT.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
8spd is a great auto. Not an option for me or others who insist on a manual.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:

You could go either way. There's more fun in the MT, the sport auto is more efficient and versatile. Since my other car is MT, I don't miss it and the paddles, "tiptronic" and std auto gives me options on how I want to drive. Good luck.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
22K mi Jul14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
These days I am finding that the question isn't so much "Manual vs. Auto" as it is "THIS Manual vs. Auto". What I mean is, the quality of the clutch feel and (to a lesser extent) shift action of a given manual transmission really makes or breaks it for me. I have not driven an F30, but my last two manual transmissions were less than satisfying. They were both V8 cars though (one a BMW and one not) and that may have something to do with it. A manual tranny with a light switch on/off clutch is really no fun to drive (IMO) or one with so little feel you can't detect the sweet spot. Dual Mass flywheels and self-adjusting mechanisms have real benefits, but they seem to often (not always) coincide with a lack of feel. This may seem unimportant to some, but is at the heart of the experience for me.

Motor Trend happens to be doing a long term test on the 328i and they mention that some of the joy of rowing their own gears is missing due to the shifter and throttle response. Just one mag's opinion, but something that raises an eyebrow for me (and something I would pay attention to on a test drive). Ironically, my son is home from college with his 97 M3 and in driving it today I noticed his throttle cable was stiff and it was making it difficult to synchronize the throttle and clutch pedal...time for some lube.

Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...328i_update_3/

Last edited by cblandin; 12-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
As a DIE hard enthusiast of the traditional manual tranny (3pedals) I would say stick
to it. But the way technology is evolving and the amount of cars filling the roadways,
it is so convenient to just have the car shift for you. Keep a traditional MT car for some
fun, or go find one and drive it once in a while.
Traffic sucks nowadays and holding a clutch down and popping it up and down just to
move 20 feet every eight seconds hurts really bad after a while. My next big vehicle
purchase (BMW) will have the adaptive cruise control for stop and go traffic.
All my vehicles are MT except my X5, and at times I wish I had used it for the day.
I say if you do a lot of traffic commuting get an AT, if not or you're young and healthy
get the 6MT.
I AGREE FULLY! I have a 32 mile commute that takes 1:15 minutes plus. When I got married, I tried to teach my Wife manual shifting on my last manual car and she took out my second gear synchro After that, my last few cars have been automatics and I sometimes miss the gear banging. I seriously contemplated the manual for this latest BMW. So during one week of my afternoon drive from work, I put my automatic in Manual mode and during that week I was averaging over 275 shifts on the drive home daily. Although I love the heel/hand interaction with the car, I may regret shifting over 275 times one way in the stop and go traffic after the novelty wears off. So I bought the AWD with automatic and told my better half that I picked the automatic so she can drive too.

That being said, I must say after a couple thousand miles of driving this fabulous car, the 8 speed auto is by far "the best automatic I have ever driven." I have not thought too much about the manual trans since my Wife knows I sacrificed my desires for her. So I told her I am contemplating getting an older two seat roadster with a manual for those weekend drives....I would have to say if you have a longer, congested drive, consider the auto, if your drive is shorter, you must at least drive the manual as the F30 manual I drove was smooth , easy, it was really good, test drive the manual before you decide!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 12-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:

I am a diehard manual transmission fan (I have been driving one as my daily driver for over 35 years) and agree with several of the posters that you need to drive one to determine whether THIS manual transmission is for you.

I did and found he F30 MT to be very enjoyable, so that's what is on my order. I also enjoyed the 8 Speed auto (which I test drove as well), and it certainly is convenient. I was also swayed by my intention to own this automobile for a long time, and the sporty feel and reduced maintenance costs of an MT was a consideration for me.

I don't have a huge amount of stop and go traffic, which might have swayed me to an auto transmission. In the end, for me, the MT was the way to go - convenience was over-ruled by the need to mash gears and chose my own shift points without a lot of tech.

I haven't, of course, a lot of driving experience with this MT. I share my thoughts with the aim of giving food for thought.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
You can pry my 6MT from me when I croak - not before.

For me, an AT loses all involvement with DRIVING the car. I get the fact an AT (say in DCT form) might be faster around a track, but FOR ME there is such a loss of intimacy in the dynamics, I might as well be a passenger.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 12-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
In the end, for me, the MT was the way to go - convenience was over-ruled by the need to mash gears and chose my own shift points without a lot of tech.
Give that man a cigar.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
You can pry my 6MT from me when I croak - not before.

For me, an AT loses all involvement with DRIVING the car. I get the fact an AT (say in DCT form) might be faster around a track, but FOR ME there is such a loss of intimacy in the dynamics, I might as well be a passenger.
Watch the motor trend video of the new M5 with manual trans.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Got Roundel?

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:

I don't miss it one bit. Tried it for a few years and sometimes you just don't want to shift. I like the fact that the 8 speed gives me that option of relaxing some days and going crazy when I feel like it. Plus the wife can drive it now.
2011 335i coupe (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Yay-Z; 12-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
I don't miss it one bit. Tried it for a few years and sometimes you just don't want to shift. I like the fact that the 8 speed gives me that option of relaxing some days and going crazy when I feel like it. Plus the wife can drive it now.
The fact that the wife and the teenage son don't drive 6MT was also a benefit for me

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
This 335i Xdrive is my first auto. I didn't want to wait for a manual and the auto seemed really fun during the test drive so I went for it.

After a couple of months I do have some regret. And it's all emotional. This 8 speed is sweet. It gets great mileage (and no thought) in stop & go. In Sport mode it's programmed to shift like you're really planning to take a hot lap. In manual it matches revs better than I could ever heel & toe. So why the regret? I miss the tactile feel of the shifter grabbing the next gear. I miss executing the perfect shift. The 8 speed does all this flawlessly. I feel like I'm cheating.

BTW, I'm spending a few weeks in total snow (Mazama, WA). "Traction" mode rules! This car is so much fun to drift. I only wish that I could figure out how to pop the back end around with the handbrake. There must be some button to push...
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I'd love 6mt but 6mt s becoming weekend car it's painful to drive it daily thru city traffic
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328 i M Sport
My first test drive was a 6mt and I loved it but wasn't sure f I wanted to shift full time so before I placed my order I went back to the dealer to drive both. Drove the 6mt and immediately decided I could definately do this full time but then I drove the 8at and thought wow, I love the way the gear ratios are so close allowing the car to rev quickly and shift quickly. Ended up buying the x drive automatic but last night I told my wife if I had to do it again I would get the RWD 6mt because I think the car would be a lot more fun that way. The moral of my story is that it's not possible to make the right decision so the only advice I can offer is to buy one of each! I know it would be a lot of money but its the only solution. In my case I happen to have a 6mt Corvette so I still have the ability to go out and do the smokey burn out power shifting thing when I get the itch. Mark
Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Obviously I don't have the 8 speed but having owned manuals I do like the control. I decided last week to drive in manual mode for a week and other than not having a clutch to push or moving the shifter in an h pattern I felt I still had all the control I needed for shifting points. Using the shift lever verses paddle shifters makes a big difference in replicating the feel. It may be possible for those on the fence because they have concerns with other family members trying to drive a stick to live with this sudo compromise. I get that it's not perfect, but you have to admit it's pretty close.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 12-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Like many, I went with the new 8AT. It's great......but it's not the same, either. I miss the MT. The AT is silky smooth and convenient, but for enjoyment and involvement, I'd go MT.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The 8 speed honestly feels like a twin clutch. It's stupid smooth when you're driving normally. It hunts just a little bit when going hard but, honestly, I can't let that take away from how awesome the 8 speed is. They have refined the 6 speed also though. The clutch is...perfect and the shift feel is....perfect. I was not a fan of the notchy shifts of the previous gen cars. The M cars were no exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 12-25-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=hot|ice=- View Post
the 8 speed honestly feels like a twin clutch. It's stupid smooth.
+1
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM
'12 6MT ZCP e92 M3

Mein Auto: '12 6MT ZCP e92 M3
6 MT loyalist here. Forced to go auto for practicality reasons (wife and baby). I'm sure ill regret it, but in the mean time, the 8 AT is the most impressive auto transmission I have ever driven. It will do.
e90
f30
e92 ///M