Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 94 540i
never reached the red

94 540i the aux pump fitting broke off due to its age,drove only five miles, car never hit the red zone...any damage?
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnz View Post
94 540i the aux pump fitting broke off due to its age,drove only five miles, car never hit the red zone...any damage?
Probably not since it didn't go in the red. But only you will know after making the repair and watching for any signs of problems or damage.

Also, no need to start another thread. Your situation was discussed in your previous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 94 540i
pnz

thank you for the reply...i am waiting for a new aux pump fo be delivered...bypassed the heater core until then..no white vapor..no water in oil..did the candle test and checked for bubbling in the radiat
or..nothing..dip stick free of moisture..underside of oil cap moisture free..no oil residue in rad. i have read it not a good to run 540i past the halfway mark...????
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnz View Post
thank you for the reply...i am waiting for a new aux pump fo be delivered...bypassed the heater core until then..no white vapor..no water in oil..did the candle test and checked for bubbling in the radiat
or..nothing..dip stick free of moisture..underside of oil cap moisture free..no oil residue in rad. i have read it not a good to run 540i past the halfway mark...????
It's best not to, however, the V8 is a little more durable and resistant to head gasket failure secondary to overheats than the I6 since the heads are not so long.

I imagine that you did no damage. Just keep a watchful eye out for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Well it will not damage the engine to run it at 3/4, which is why red is where it is, and the distance from 1/2 to 3/4 is shorter than the distance from 3/4 to red, however that is not the optimal temperature for ideal combustion in an engine. You are safe, but nevertheless, it never hurts to do all the tests that bmw_lvr has suggested that you do.

When you top up anti freeze, bleed the radiator according to the bentley manual (please search for the download), but prepared to see air pockets coming out and manifesting itself as falling coolant levels in the expansion tank. I had this for 3 weeks after I changed a radiator and bled it twice perfectly. Our systems trap air well and it takes time for that to be fully evacuated to the radiator. So please monitor coolant levels daily until it stabilises, and topup if it falls below the cold mark when the engine is cold.