Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750 Li
2007 750LI Won't Start -- Then finally did start - I'm a new owner

Yesterday I bought my first BMW, a 2007 750Li with 58K miles. The car was very clean and very well maintained. One day later, (today) I got up drove to the gym, drove back home, changed for work and went out to the car and when I pushed the Start button.... nothing. I put the key in the slot.....push the start button.... Nothing. Radio and all electronics are playing. No sign of any battery issue. I'm pushing on the brake, first firm then hard. Push start button ... hear nothing.
Go back in house, try again, and on 10th try car starts. I almost gave up, with a bad case of buyers remorse.
I drove it all day today and parked and restarted 5-6 times. with no issue, started right up.

I have no idea what was happening this morning but I'm guessing it might have to do with something that I'm unfamiliar with, but maybe BMW owners are aware of.

Is there something you do when you push the start button and nothing happens and the battery is fine?
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi, 06 Lancer ES
If you have comfort access and the remote is in your pocket which has another electronic device mostly phones, the car doesn't detect the remote sometimes. It happens to me all the time in my e60 535xi whenever my remote is in my pocket with my iphone.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
When I first got mine, my car wouldn't start too but it wasn't the car. I wasn't pushing the brake pedal far enough for the engine to turn over.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li Titanium Silver
I'm guessing battery is low. When I first bought mine over a year ago I was getting random stuff like what you are getting. Ended up being my battery was not having the time to recharge because of all my short trips (5 min drive to work). I understand that these cars use a lot of juice just to crank and if it isnt driven far the battery will not properly recharge. My SA at the dealer said its very common with 5 and 7 series, especially the 7. He said he has half his 7 customers on battery tenders.

Bought a BMW battery tender a few months ago which I use every 10 days and all is well.

No buyers remorse JF, you will love the car. Just remember when something acts funny - check the battery!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
It's all about me!

Mein Auto: 2012 750LI, 01-330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinator View Post
If you have comfort access and the remote is in your pocket which has another electronic device mostly phones, the car doesn't detect the remote sometimes. It happens to me all the time in my e60 535xi whenever my remote is in my pocket with my iphone.
This seems like a possibility to me. I have an 07 and I haven't experienced what you described....other than not depressing the brake pedal enough.

2012 750LI Mineral White
2012 X3 Alpine White
2007 750LI Barbera Red
2001 330Cic Orient Blue
2000 328i Jet Black(Sold)
2004 X3 Mystic Blue
Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
This has been an occasional problem for me. Technically, it would be considered a no crank issue..is that correct? Engine doesn't turn over? After a year I have chased down a few things. One is that very few have had a true "no crank" issue on this forum. Some have had a "crank, no start" which is completely different. If I have the issue again (intermittent issue for me) I will try to jump start the car and see what that does. MY best guess now is that it is a voltage issue.

My problem went away after a fresh charge of the battery with a charger as opposed to a long drive, which really doesn't charge the battery sufficiently.

I don't think I'm done with the issue. It could be a bad starter, but I also don't see that as a real common problem on this forum.

My service advisor told me yesterday that BMW has been hearing more compaints of a no crank issue, so we'll see how it goes. The car is awesome...you didn't make a mistake in buying it...it just isn't a toyota.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco240 View Post
I'm guessing battery is low. When I first bought mine over a year ago I was getting random stuff like what you are getting. Ended up being my battery was not having the time to recharge because of all my short trips (5 min drive to work). I understand that these cars use a lot of juice just to crank and if it isnt driven far the battery will not properly recharge. My SA at the dealer said its very common with 5 and 7 series, especially the 7. He said he has half his 7 customers on battery tenders.

Bought a BMW battery tender a few months ago which I use every 10 days and all is well.

No buyers remorse JF, you will love the car. Just remember when something acts funny - check the battery!
Wow.... I took it back to the car Dealer (Non BMW) and he is having it checked by a autoshop that specializes in BMW and has the diagnostic equipment to check all the faults so I thought this would be good to know. The Wow comes from each time I had this problem, I drove for less than 1 mile and shut the car off for over 30 minutes, then it didn't start.... You may have nailed it... Thx Will hear tomorrow back from the car dealer.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM

I think it will be the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrun View Post
This has been an occasional problem for me. Technically, it would be considered a no crank issue..is that correct? Engine doesn't turn over? After a year I have chased down a few things. One is that very few have had a true "no crank" issue on this forum. Some have had a "crank, no start" which is completely different. If I have the issue again (intermittent issue for me) I will try to jump start the car and see what that does. MY best guess now is that it is a voltage issue.

My problem went away after a fresh charge of the battery with a charger as opposed to a long drive, which really doesn't charge the battery sufficiently.

I don't think I'm done with the issue. It could be a bad starter, but I also don't see that as a real common problem on this forum.

My service advisor told me yesterday that BMW has been hearing more compaints of a no crank issue, so we'll see how it goes. The car is awesome...you didn't make a mistake in buying it...it just isn't a toyota.
Dealer (Non BMW) has it and is checking, but I think the low battery makes sense especially after some short trip.

Thx
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: Many things
This car is an electrical monster, keep that in mind, I've had mine since Oct with no issues like that but something to always be thinking about.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Jfgick,

Did you end up replacing the battery? My 745Li is doing the same thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i
2007 BMW 750i Won't Start - Then finally did start

Hello All,

I have been having exactly the same problem as noted by Jfgick. The vehicle will run fine, then I park it for a short period and it would take 10-20 attempts to start. On a few occasions when attempting to start a "Transmission inoperable" warning would show up, then when it eventually starts, this would all disappear and the car would run just fine.

There is no pattern to this behavior, it just happens. I took my car in and the service advisor could not find any faults logged. He did say that the battery was only charged to 48% of it's capacity, was 5 years old and should be charged to > 50% capacity at all times. I'll note that during these attempts to start, all electronics work just fine such as the climate control, stereo etc. I've tried shutting all of these things down before I start and it sometimes did help, but not always.

The Service advisor stated one reason is that I had been driving very short distances and should drive longer distances to allow the electrical system to charge properly, very curious for a car of this calibre. Anyway I was advised to change the battery, which I did, I will post updates on how things are working. It's very disconcerting that a vehicle such as this will have a problem of this nature, but it's so packed with electronics who knows what could happen.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E66 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTime7Owner View Post
Hello All,

I have been having exactly the same problem as noted by Jfgick. The vehicle will run fine, then I park it for a short period and it would take 10-20 attempts to start. On a few occasions when attempting to start a "Transmission inoperable" warning would show up, then when it eventually starts, this would all disappear and the car would run just fine.

There is no pattern to this behavior, it just happens. I took my car in and the service advisor could not find any faults logged. He did say that the battery was only charged to 48% of it's capacity, was 5 years old and should be charged to > 50% capacity at all times. I'll note that during these attempts to start, all electronics work just fine such as the climate control, stereo etc. I've tried shutting all of these things down before I start and it sometimes did help, but not always.

The Service advisor stated one reason is that I had been driving very short distances and should drive longer distances to allow the electrical system to charge properly, very curious for a car of this calibre. Anyway I was advised to change the battery, which I did, I will post updates on how things are working. It's very disconcerting that a vehicle such as this will have a problem of this nature, but it's so packed with electronics who knows what could happen.
I'm having a very similar issue, and mine threw a transmission fault the first time. Did the battery fix your issue? I'm on my way in to the dealer and hopefully I don't have to pay a diag fee. Hopefully this issue will be covered under CPO.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E66 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLObimmer7 View Post
I'm having a very similar issue, and mine threw a transmission fault the first time. Did the battery fix your issue? I'm on my way in to the dealer and hopefully I don't have to pay a diag fee. Hopefully this issue will be covered under CPO.
Alrighty, got the e66 back from the service center and the IVM was swapped as this module controls ignition and other tranny related processes. Parent company BMW interfaced with the vehicle via telecon and suggested the IVM over the service center's suggested DME swap.

Vehicle seems to be running well and hopefully this fix will keep it that way. This was covered under CPO by the way. Lastly, I also had a Comfort Access handle that was not working either about two weeks prior to the IVM swap, so if you have this feature and notice it being intermittent or not working at all, then fix that as well since that can cause a tranny fault as well via battery drainage and the such.

Hopefully some of you have figured this out already as I know this thread is quite old, but I figured someone could use he info to some degree.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLObimmer7 View Post
My problem has not gone away, I am still getting the starting problem, still haveing transmission faults. Seems like BMW's Battery theory is incorrect. I sent the vehicle in today because I have th transmission fault again, and the intermittent starting problem persists. They have upgraded the software to take care of a recall and they are unable to start the vehicle themselves. I'll suggest the IVM to them and see what they have to say.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 745li ,Rx8 & 7
Then bill them for your Consulting
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
Hey, I'm new to this site, and my husband just bought me a 750 LI about a month ago and now I'm having the same problems as you have described. What was the final outcome of your vehicle or do you still have your car?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 745LI
I have heard that the newer 750's have two batteries the control the lef and right electricals (not sure how try this is) and one of them could be done, replace them first.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
I would bet money that your battery is starting to go. I had the same issue when my battery was going bad. There are lots of threads on the topic...the important things to remember are: Get an AGM battery, not a lead acid. Make sure the battery you buy (AGM) is as close to 100% state of charge as possible (they discharge while sitting on the shelf and a lot of places don't keep them charged like they should). Check the date of manufacture on the battery...don't use a battery over 6 moths old even if new. And perhaps most important...REGISTER the battery to the car when you replace it...this IS a must.

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Kruzin

Send a message via AIM to Kruzin
Mein Auto: 2004 M3 TiAg
having similar issue. problem is sporadic: sometimes there is absolutely no problem. then, sometimes everything will work just fine except the engine doesnt turn on. as if the car isnt even trying to turn the engine on.

after reading a few threads on this it seems the module needs to be replaced to fix the problem for good.

sig courtesy of heineken
Pics
Pics of my old M
Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 LI 2007
Replacing IVM solves most of the starting related issues. I dealt with it for 3 three months and the dealer was able to finally narrow it down to IVM on my fourth visit. It has been an year and all is well. Even if the diagnostics don't point to, changing the IVM will help a great deal, IMO. BTW, mine is a 2007 750Li with 53K, fully loaded, except for the rear entertainemnt option.

Last edited by kphani; 09-23-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Second BMW

Mein Auto: BMW 760I
Does anyonje know of a solution?

I purchased my 2007 760i a month ago, began having the same problem (intermittant starting problem). Found bad cell in the battery, replaced the battery, still have the problem. Replaced the starter and IVM, still a problem. No error code ever shows up; but the transmission symbol lights up.

Last edited by miked922; 11-26-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked922 View Post
I purchased my 2007 760i a month ago, began having the same problem (intermittant starting problem). Found bad cell in the battery, replaced the battery, still have the problem. Replaced the starter and DVM, still a problem. No error code ever shows up; but the transmission symbol lights up.
did you register your battery when you purchased a new 1 ???
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
2007 750LI Won't Start -- Then finally did start - I'm a new owner

Describe "won't start."

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Second BMW

Mein Auto: BMW 760I
"Won't Start"

Here's what happened this week (after replacing battery,starter,IVM). Engine started first try in the morning, I drove about 5 miles, parked, did business for about an hour, car started, drove 2 miles, parked, did business for 20 minutes, car wouldn't start. (no clicks, transmission symbol lights up). Tried starting twice over the next two-three minutes, no success. Waited 5-10 minutes, car started. Brought car directly to shop, no error code found. Car still at the shop, mechanic will try several times to reproduce the problem. (Last week, after replacing the battery, starter, and IVM, he kept the car an extra day to try to reproduce the problem, no success.)
I've had similar experiences (a) before the battery was replaced, (b) after it (but not starter/IVM)was replaced, and (c) after all were replaced.
One common factor is that there seems to be a minimum time period for "something" to happen after the first (failed) attempt to start. Or, saying it another way, the failed attempt to restart the engine begins a process which takes 5+ minutes to "clear" the problem. So something appears to be "resetting". The lighting up of the transmission symbol must be a clue, but to what?
Some users have suggested it is a battery depletioin issue, but my experience suggests something else is going on.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: 2007 750LI Won't Start -- Then finally did start - I'm a new owner

I bet its the satellite b pillar module I had same problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app