Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Yes this is what I'm scared:
You fix one leak and you get another one!!!!
This is how it happened in my car:
Had lower radiator leak for months and all was good except loosing coolant. Once I replaced radiator 1-2 months later I got coolant pipe leak!!!
The pressure is fking high in this car:
Any weak spot will tell about itself
May be URO parts is not that bad and once it got fixed the rear plate started leaking;(
In other words you need to replace all cooling parts in the engine:
Coolant pipe seals
Rear cover plate
Valley pan

I think this is my plan:
Install 85C tstat or keep 95 one, but 95 is still kinda hot.
Replace coolant pipe
Since pressure won't be that high the other rear seals should sustain it.
Honestly bmw should recall that ****ty design!!!
Sounds like a good idea, I would love to get a 95c tstat in the car, even if I need to fix this coolant pipe when I get the money in a couple weeks, I would love to do anything to drop the pressure and temp for time being.. I am having trans shifting issues and a groaning noise from torque converter whenever at 500RPM.. if I go up to 600+ RPM it goes away instantly..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Update from AGA,

Anyone interested in a AGA pipe discount please PM me. I will collect named so I can give them a educated guess in how many members would be interested. Thanks.

Thanks for contacting me regarding the AGA cooling pipe, I am a big fan of Bimmerfest and will work with you guys no problem, as you know AGA special in BMW, we have many repairs that save BMW owners a lot of money on the N62 as well as others. Just in this last month we have developed a solid repair of the secondary air injection codes, caused by plugged air passages in the heads, the repair is simple and effective, we have designed a tool that can clean the passages with out removing the heads.
I think the best and fastest way to decide what we can/ should do is to talk on Monday, please call Monday when it is good for you, I get in at 8:00

Best Martin.

All German Auto
Your Dealership Alternative
______ Martin
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
From bimerpipe:

Hello,
Both pipes are good quality. But with the bimmerpipe you save time and money. You don't have to remove anything from the front of the engine and it has the stainless steel sleeve so this won't happen again. If you want to order 10 pipes with the seals it would be 320.00 per pipe in USD + shipping.
Thanks Paul G.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Anyone on here drilled a hole in the tstat?Very common in performance world.Sometimes this is simply called a high flow tstat.It could balance the system if the air is trapped at the back of the tstat.Only bad side effect could be little longer warm up.Looks like pipe is not the only problem with these systems.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
From bimerpipe:

Hello,
Both pipes are good quality. But with the bimmerpipe you save time and money. You don't have to remove anything from the front of the engine and it has the stainless steel sleeve so this won't happen again. If you want to order 10 pipes with the seals it would be 320.00 per pipe in USD + shipping.
Thanks Paul G.
34% discount is pretty good and the pipe was already cheaper than the AGA pipe. My only concern is step 6 with the stainless sleave but it is definitely cheaper. Lets see what AGA says tomorrow. Then we will have some options.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Anyone on here drilled a hole in the tstat?Very common in performance world.Sometimes this is simply called a high flow tstat.It could balance the system if the air is trapped at the back of the tstat.Only bad side effect could be little longer warm up.Looks like pipe is not the only problem with these systems.
Tried it, doesn't work at all bc tstat will never open, small holes will create cavitation with bubbles only and will actually worsen the condition!!! No no no! I've got pics somewhere with holes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Why are they saying nothing has to come off the front of the engine with the bimmerpipe? Isn't it the same with AGA? AGA came out with a tool for sec. air problem, that's really cool..

Checked coolant today and it was exactly where I left it, so no leaking or air added from yesterday.. before I replaced my radiator I believe the cap popped a couple times, as I had residue on the expansion tank, so I think I have good pressure, but it may have just been from filling, was careful to clean it, but I could have forgotten a couple times.. Still really think it's an issue we're having with the fans.. I believe they are wearing out possibly.. Could be wrong, but I will run the car with the laptop today and see what the lower hose temp is.. how do I get to that screen again? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
E65 me9 for n62, status then analog 1

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
E65 me9 for n62, status then analog 1
Thanks, I just realized I left my laptop at my shop so I have to go down there and pick it up, but I'll check it out in a bit.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I bought a lower temp sensor from on well known bmw vender.It was either broken or wrong one because my fan ran wide open ,sounded like a jet airplane taking off.So my fan is ok.I just can't believe a leak so small is making this big a difference at top and bottom of radiator.Still think a higher flow rate pump would be better.I guess it's a big internal leak that's not became external(weep hole).
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I bought a lower temp sensor from on well known bmw vender.It was either broken or wrong one because my fan ran wide open ,sounded like a jet airplane taking off.So my fan is ok.I just can't believe a leak so small is making this big a difference at top and bottom of radiator.Still think a higher flow rate pump would be better.I guess it's a big internal leak that's not became external(weep hole).
Evidently.. thats the part I just don't understand.. If it's leaking then it's not external, as no coolant loss.. and if there is no coolant loss it just blows me away that we are having air in the system.. if we are getting air in we should have coolant out.. but evidently not..
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
Think of this and what sf says makes sense, the pump pumps into the pipe to go to the heads, its leaking into the valley pan which is the return... The coolant being pumped to the heads doesn't completely make it, some is leaking into the return and thus not effectively cooling as it should. At least this is what i have gotten from what he said unless i got it confused.

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Think of this and what sf says makes sense, the pump pumps into the pipe to go to the heads, its leaking into the valley pan which is the return... The coolant being pumped to the heads doesn't completely make it, some is leaking into the return and thus not effectively cooling as it should. At least this is what i have gotten from what he said unless i got it confused.
Ha ha, does it make sense, really???
For someone who has doubts, do the following:
Get any electric water pump:
Connect any hose connected to some tank with a return hose to wp with water counter, get the values with wp running.
Make some holes in the hose closer to wp and check values again, then think about high temps and pressure.

In other words with a leak to valley pan you kinda bypass your cooling circuit and its amazing that with this crappy cooling we don't get warped heads etc. I'm sure we lose about 20-50% of wp efficiency.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

I get what you're saying and it makes sense was just making sure i got it right for dolfan

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Ps hows the tstat testing moving along?

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Ps hows the tstat testing moving along?
The cold I caught is keeping me free of anything for now;(
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Okay well my computer died half way thru my testing, but with this latest data I am completely lost.. So I started car and went down to my shop to get computer.. by the time I got computer hooked up I was at 103c or so.. Anyway, I think the lower hose was around 45 or so at that point.. by the time I got to the freeway on ramp I was at 105 and cycling to 103 and at that point hose was at 50.. once I got on the freeway it started dropping, it got all the way down to 18c.. yet the car was running at 105/103.. When I would go from 105/103 the lower hose would fluctuate a few deg. but that's about it.. It would go up sometimes as high as 27 or so deg.. after about ten min. on the freeway the laptop died.

I have no idea what this means.. I mean, if I am going from 105/103 etc then the tstat is obviously opening right? So why would that hose be so low? It doesn't feel cool, it feels warm.. could my brand new sensor be bad? Is there a way to test it? I still have the old one but if I remove it I'll spew coolant everywhere.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Why are they saying nothing has to come off the front of the engine with the bimmerpipe? Isn't it the same with AGA? AGA came out with a tool for sec. air problem, that's really cool..

Checked coolant today and it was exactly where I left it, so no leaking or air added from yesterday.. before I replaced my radiator I believe the cap popped a couple times, as I had residue on the expansion tank, so I think I have good pressure, but it may have just been from filling, was careful to clean it, but I could have forgotten a couple times.. Still really think it's an issue we're having with the fans.. I believe they are wearing out possibly.. Could be wrong, but I will run the car with the laptop today and see what the lower hose temp is.. how do I get to that screen again? Thanks!
Go under engine N62 section. Select status then select analog 1.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Okay well my computer died half way thru my testing, but with this latest data I am completely lost.. So I started car and went down to my shop to get computer.. by the time I got computer hooked up I was at 103c or so.. Anyway, I think the lower hose was around 45 or so at that point.. by the time I got to the freeway on ramp I was at 105 and cycling to 103 and at that point hose was at 50.. once I got on the freeway it started dropping, it got all the way down to 18c.. yet the car was running at 105/103.. When I would go from 105/103 the lower hose would fluctuate a few deg. but that's about it.. It would go up sometimes as high as 27 or so deg.. after about ten min. on the freeway the laptop died.

I have no idea what this means.. I mean, if I am going from 105/103 etc then the tstat is obviously opening right? So why would that hose be so low? It doesn't feel cool, it feels warm.. could my brand new sensor be bad? Is there a way to test it? I still have the old one but if I remove it I'll spew coolant everywhere.
My take on the situation is that your lower hose temp is so low because you are not getting good flow rate back to the engine. If you had good flow rate then your bottom hose temp would be over 60. As your engine gets hotter the internal temp rises although your bottom hose temp drops. The higher engine temp causes the coolant pipe to leak more in the valley pan making the bottom hose temp drop.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
My take on the situation is that your lower hose temp is so low because you are not getting good flow rate back to the engine. If you had good flow rate then your bottom hose temp would be over 60. As your engine gets hotter the internal temp rises although your bottom hose temp drops. The higher engine temp causes the coolant pipe to leak more in the valley pan making the bottom hose temp drop.
The lower hose will have no flow until the tstat opens.. the tstat is obviously opening at 105, as it drops to 103.. so why would my lower hose go from 50c to 18/20c yet the tstat is still opening? I wonder if my new sensor is bad..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
+100
Finally ppl got it so I don't have to explain
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
The lower hose will have no flow until the tstat opens.. the tstat is obviously opening at 105, as it drops to 103.. so why would my lower hose go from 50c to 18/20c yet the tstat is still opening? I wonder if my new sensor is bad..
Sorry to disappoint you, but those sensors don't die all others have same temp with leaky pipe
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Then I dont understand how tstat is opening and dropping temp to 103 if lower hose is reading 18c.. keep in mind my temp ir sensor reads 50 something I think
Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Then I dont understand how tstat is opening and dropping temp to 103 if lower hose is reading 18c.. keep in mind my temp ir sensor reads 50 something I think
Bc you test outside temp!!!!
Touch you lower radiator!!! It's icy cold and it's about 18-20C. Sensor cannot read well if water has bubbles!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM

So if I pressure test this system will that show if pipe is bad? Thx