Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Royal Purple makes a cooling add that they claim will bring down temp by 30%???? Anybody try this? Lusca has something too..
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Ok so I meet up with one of my friends that has a 2012 750 and it comes with the temp gauge and it reads 245-250????Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357868331.886217.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	357013
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357868368.754734.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	357014

So like I said how do you guys think your cars are running too hot????
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
Ok so I meet up with one of my friends that has a 2012 750 and it comes with the temp gauge and it reads 245-250????Attachment 357013
Attachment 357014

So like I said how do you guys think your cars are running too hot????
Finally temp gauge!! They learned smth.
The problem is usually with coolant pipe: when it starts leaking you don't really see it and it might last for a while at this period your engine is not being efficiently cooled, so it kinda overheats engine so the tranny does.
The whole point of 105C tstat is bad for all rubber parts in the engine. Every e65 I saw even with 40-60k miles had valve cover gaskets leak.
It's just too hot: rubber seals just become plastic therefore leaking
I

Last edited by SFbay; 01-10-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
So how it's possible for this BMW to run at 240-250F???
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
So how it's possible for this BMW to run at 240-250F???
Nothing impossible: it won't be boiling under pressure, but you have to overhaul cooling system every 2-3 yrs to keep it perfect. They did it to make money on services, plus they learned from 90s that company won't make money if cars last 200-300k mls
What engine you showed is picture from?? Tstat is still the same 105 which is 221F so it shouldn't be more than that

Last edited by SFbay; 01-10-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
So how it's possible for this BMW to run at 240-250F???
Actually if you read that guage it's about 225 which is 105c.. which is because they are using the same tstats.. so it's same as ours.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Actually if you read that guage it's about 225 which is 105c.. which is because they are using the same tstats.. so it's same as ours.
Nah bmw gauge must be in the middle always, so may be picture taken before it warned up
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Nah bmw gauge must be in the middle always, so may be picture taken before it warned up
Where it is at right now is 225f, so if it goes to middle then they are not running 105c tstat anymore. Wow that guage maxes at 360f!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Nothing impossible: it won't be boiling under pressure, but you have to overhaul cooling system every 2-3 yrs to keep it perfect. They did it to make money on services, plus they learned from 90s that company won't make money if cars last 200-300k mls
What engine you showed is picture from?? Tstat is still the same 105 which is 221F so it shouldn't be more than that
2012 750li
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Where it is at right now is 225f, so if it goes to middle then they are not running 105c tstat anymore. Wow that guage maxes at 360f!!!!
Just checked 2012 750i has n63 engine so it has our famous tstat 105C. So I guess it should not be in the middle- doesnt look nice.
Reply With Quote
  #511  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Nah bmw gauge must be in the middle always, so may be picture taken before it warned up
Yea he told me it hits 250
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #512  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
Yea he told me it hits 250
How come??? With 105 tstat??? That's impossible bc DME can only open it- closing is still mechanical.
121C???? Wow

Last edited by SFbay; 01-10-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #513  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
How come??? With 105 tstat??? That's impossible bc DME can only open it- closing is still mechanical.
121C???? Wow
Bottom line is these temps are crazy.. I hate to keep asking SF, but now that you have a working 95c tstat I would really love to get one.. I will do whatever I have to do, you tell me, but everyday I am running my car like this is killing it.

Also keep in mind these are force inducted engines, maybe with a 105c they run hot? Maybe the tstat is opened alot more often then with ours..

Last edited by cmpcpro; 01-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #514  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
I don't know how but I believe more with my eyes then word of mouth. I understand that you guys want to run cooler. When you find it post it up. But for now my car runs great the why it is. I peak @105 and drop to 90.
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Bottom line is these temps are crazy.. I hate to keep asking SF, but now that you have a working 95c tstat I would really love to get one.. I will do whatever I have to do, you tell me, but everyday I am running my car like this is killing it.

Also keep in mind these are force inducted engines, maybe with a 105c they run hot? Maybe the tstat is opened alot more often then with ours..
I'll let you know, I'm still testing it, but even with 95c you need to fix the leak. My lower hose is still not that hot as it should.
This is what mine says after 20 mins idling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357872049.379200.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	357019  
Reply With Quote
  #516  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,133
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Dbl post
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,133
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Then why does the similar mercedes and lexus engines run at lower temps with better or equal mpg? Better or equal performance? Why do 6cyls run cooler still? Your car will run fine for awhile like this... But wont go the distance
My 97 e420 went from 98 to 146k ms on it with no vcg replacement no cooling system overhauls... No leaks... Nothing. These engines gaskets and other parts can't take the heat apparently so why design these cars this way ? My oil pressure switch had a gaping hole in it... Driver vcg was severed at one point the same sides' spark plug tubes were stuffed and destroyed leaking oil. All my front hoses were leaking. Exp Tank glued joint demolished. I guess my point is if you cant design it to run this hot then you should make the hoses more durable to heat and the gaskets and other parts on the engine.... As far as newer goes idk and ill probably never want to find out for myself
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 01-10-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #518  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
Then why does the similar mercedes and lexus engines run at lower temps with better or equal mpg? Better or equal performance? Why do 6cyls run cooler still? Your car will run fine for awhile like this... But wont go the distance
My 97 e420 went from 98 to 146k ms on it with no vcg replacement no cooling system overhauls... No leaks... Nothing. These engines gaskets and other parts can't take the heat apparently so why design these cars this way ? My oil pressure switch had a gaping hole in it... Driver vcg was severed at one point the same sides' spark plug tubes were stuffed and destroyed leaking oil. All my front hoses were leaking. Exp Tank glued joint demolished. I guess my point is if you cant design it to run this hot then you should make the hoses more durable to heat and the gaskets and other parts on the engine.... As far as newer goes idk and ill probably never want to find out for myself
Well look at bmw earning for the last 10yrs!!! They are very very rich company now, even mb is behind
Imagine how many vcg, hoses they sold and installed!! How many trannies etc! Just think about it

Last edited by SFbay; 01-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
I'll let you know, I'm still testing it, but even with 95c you need to fix the leak. My lower hose is still not that hot as it should.
This is what mine says after 20 mins idling.
Honestly man, I could help you test it, I just want to get my temps down.. I don't want to take tstat out and burn up whats left of my fan.. I don't even know if I have a leak, but I am not the kind of person to drive around knowing I have a problem, so I will continue to investigate until I have figured this out, but for now, I am willing to accept all responsibility for using something that isn't tested. I could supply you with all my data even.. I am not even interested in the 85c although I would be down the road, right now I just would be grateful to you for getting me down to 95/96c..
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Well look at bmw earning for the last 10yrs!!! They are very very rich company now, even mb is behind
Imagine how many vcg, hoses they sold and installed!! How many trannies etc! Just think about it
Exactly.. I am SO upset about this.. when I had my S430 I did nothing but brag about BMW over there, I loved my E46.. now after this I can't believe how bad they screwed us!
Reply With Quote
  #521  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Exactly.. I am SO upset about this.. when I had my S430 I did nothing but brag about BMW over there, I loved my E46.. now after this I can't believe how bad they screwed us!
Yep... If I ever buy bmw it's gonna be only straight six only.
At some point now bmw reminds me apple company (at least apple products are reliable). Few more yrs of these horrible reputation and nobody will ever buy it, and lexus LS doesn't look bad anymore and it's FAST!!! Bmw thinks ppl are so stupid and will be keep buying good looking cars with horrible drivetrain.
Only straight six. Next year I'm gonna be looking for a bmw its gonna be 740i straight six turbo.
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
Noticed tonight all of a sudden my car was idling at around 750.. and in gear I was at like 830 even though just crawling.. very strange, not sure I've seen that happen before.. maybe it's my alt going and raising RPM's to compensate though the other day it was at 14.2-14.4
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Noticed tonight all of a sudden my car was idling at around 750.. and in gear I was at like 830 even though just crawling.. very strange, not sure I've seen that happen before.. maybe it's my alt going and raising RPM's to compensate though the other day it was at 14.2-14.4
Usually it says that your battery is low and alt is working on max to charge it.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
cmpcpro cmpcpro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 801
Mein Auto: Nothing
My batt. is brand new
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM
dolfan13's Avatar
dolfan13 dolfan13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: lexington,ky usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 938
Mein Auto: 545i
Has to do with A/C settings and outside temp on my car.Turn down cold,especially center and RPMs will creep up to 700.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms