Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I think it's bs, bc it won't even move at lower temp, so what dictates the opening is tstat element with mercury inside.
Shims can open it faster but not sooner, the guy who wrote about tstat doesn't know anything about tstats unfortunately.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Quote:
What you think? Where can we get those sims?
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Account Under Review

Bmw tstat is way more advanced than Chevy ones
Look:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358217782.615449.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	357732   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358217794.878319.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	357733  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
looks like quite a few vette owners have done this mod and are overall running cooler.I have ordered an extra tstat for modding on the way.The BMW tsat still has wax with a center pin shaft that has a positive stop.Lets have a pic from the other end of the BMW tsat.Does that pin come out of the BMW stat on the pic on the left?Same operation BMW is only heated.

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-14-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
looks like quite a few vette owners have done this mod and are overall running cooler.I have ordered an extra tstat for modding on the way.The BMW tsat still has wax with a center pin shaft that has a positive stop.Lets have a pic from the other end of the BMW tsat.Does that pin come out of the BMW stat on the pic on the left?Same operation BMW is only heated.
Here you go
Shims only create more tension so it will open faster less gradually, so it won't open at lower temp but will stay open more time than OEM.
BMW tstat is sealed everywhere
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358220634.933854.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	357736   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358220665.117990.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	357737  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Look guys, please forgive me, I have been trying to be very patient and polite.. Why are we wasting our time looking all this up if SF says he has a working 95c thermostat with possibly only a couple minor issues to be worked out?

I understand you have been working on this for a while and spent a few hundred dollars figuring it out, but there are obviously many people here who are interested in saving their cars. I have told you countless times I am willing to help you figure out any minor issues you may have with it, if you would only tell us what you used. Many have PM'd me asking if I even believe you have actually have one, because they don't understand why this information is not being released after over two weeks of confirmation on it working (Maybe not perfectly). Others have said they have tried asking you via PM with no luck. Bottom line, many are frustrated over the refusal to share this information, as we are in a forum meant to do just that. If you don't want to share your information that is your right, after all you figured it out, but please, just tell us. We will do what we have to do to figure it out ourselves.. If you want money, tell us, I am sure we would all be happy to put a fund together. We could name it after you, give you all the credit, as you did figure it out, and you deserve it. If you don't have one, then just admit it, and lets move on. There is nothing left to say in this thread.

If the moderators want to close this thread after we get an answer from SFBay then you have my permission. If we are given the information and need to collaborate on perfecting it, then by all means keep it open. Other than that, there is really nothing else to say in this thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Give the guy a break, he has been sick and it is his right to share or not.

There are several here that could break this car wide open by posting all they know.

Closing the thread does nothing.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
At the end of the day people here with just what he has told us could easily do this. Maybe someone somewhere already has and never shared who knows. But give him a bit of a chance as he is sick and also hes testing it on his car so hell know what needs to be done. This way we dont repeat mistakes/errors. When he has one that is a final less worry free version i will be glad to give him the compensation ($) he deserves for his work on this.
Rome wasn't built in a day
this is pretty big for the prolonged life of these engines. Even if it gets all fixed up, who wants to worry about vcgs alt bracket gaskets etc every 3-5 years. I dont mind getting my hands dirty but i would rather just drive

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Look guys, please forgive me
here is an interesting old topic you might like to read ...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1461973

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1826786

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up

Last edited by PAPER; 01-15-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: oops forgot to put both links .
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Well look at that good reads

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Look guys, please forgive me, I have been trying to be very patient and polite.. Why are we wasting our time looking all this up if SF says he has a working 95c thermostat with possibly only a couple minor issues to be worked out?

I understand you have been working on this for a while and spent a few hundred dollars figuring it out, but there are obviously many people here who are interested in saving their cars. I have told you countless times I am willing to help you figure out any minor issues you may have with it, if you would only tell us what you used. Many have PM'd me asking if I even believe you have actually have one, because they don't understand why this information is not being released after over two weeks of confirmation on it working (Maybe not perfectly). Others have said they have tried asking you via PM with no luck. Bottom line, many are frustrated over the refusal to share this information, as we are in a forum meant to do just that. If you don't want to share your information that is your right, after all you figured it out, but please, just tell us. We will do what we have to do to figure it out ourselves.. If you want money, tell us, I am sure we would all be happy to put a fund together. We could name it after you, give you all the credit, as you did figure it out, and you deserve it. If you don't have one, then just admit it, and lets move on. There is nothing left to say in this thread.

If the moderators want to close this thread after we get an answer from SFBay then you have my permission. If we are given the information and need to collaborate on perfecting it, then by all means keep it open. Other than that, there is really nothing else to say in this thread.
Kinda mean;(
Especially after I explained how bmw cooling system must work!!! And here I can see very nice "thank you" letter.
I've already showed and explained how everything works. My mod I don't find it perfect plus it costs too much.
I'm thinking about better option.
I need to fix my leak first and check how it works, bc now my lower hose is still kinda cold.
The main point of this topic is not a tstat mod, but explanation of the proper way n62 cooling must work.
Tstat won't fix anything, only might help to prevent issues, plus don't forget if this mod won't pass emissions and smog checks it worth nothing. Problems with n62 only happen when there is internal leak and lower hose temp is low, though no visible cel or anything.
So I understand that you're older than 16 but you sound like you're.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-15-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM

Why would they shut it down its the best thread on here that didnt evolve kief.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Start a new thread tstat mods.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Kinda mean;(
Especially after I explained how bmw cooling system must work!!! And here I can see very nice "thank you" letter.
I've already showed and explained how everything works. My mod I don't find it perfect plus it costs too much.
I'm thinking about better option.
I need to fix my leak first and check how it works, bc now my lower hose is still kinda cold.
The main point of this topic is not a tstat mod, but explanation of the proper way n62 cooling must work.
Tstat won't fix anything, only might help to prevent issues, plus don't forget if this mod won't pass emissions and smog checks it worth nothing. Problems with n62 only happen when there is internal leak and lower hose temp is low, though no visible cel or anything.
So I understand that you're older than 16 but you sound like you're.
I'm not trying to be mean to you at all SF, and obviously these guys are just as gutless online as they must be in person, because I am the one hearing everyone's PM's ridiculing you for not sharing the information. Asking if I even believe you, etc.. and obviously the story changes in public, maybe they are afraid to upset you because they want your info.. who knows.. bottom line is, there is no reason why you can't just let us know what the thermostat you used is.. If you are planning on selling your information or marketing it then I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY.. but just clue us, or I guess now, me in. I am sitting here, listening to you about the 105 killing our cars, obviously I agree, and even if your mod isn't perfect, it's working.. I'll take it, even with it's problems, because I cringe everytime I am in traffic knowing my car is cooking at 105c..

I spoke with AGA today, and they confirmed again, two different people that if you are not getting liquid out of the weep hole you ABSOLUTELY don't need a cooling pipe. They are not sure what my noise is when the car starts, they agree it's probably not alternator as the sound does not change with RPM's. They believe I probably have an air pocket and they explained that these systems are very finicky and that their guys who bleed them use a vacuum to suck the air out. So I will now invest in a vacuum, as even though it's running right, I still have this noise at start up..

I would still appreciate a straight forward answer. You can call me mean, but I have been very polite, everywhere in this world now a days people only care about themselves.. think about it, you tell me your engine blows, does that affect me? No. Why do I care? Well I personally feel bad about stuff like that, but I know most people don't. These forums are here to share information, help each other. I get joy in giving information to others if they are stuck somewhere that I was, and I can free them.. Again, if you are planning on selling, totally different story, but please say so. It's been weeks now, and every time I or others have asked it's been ignored or skated over very lightly.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
Give the guy a break, he has been sick and it is his right to share or not.

There are several here that could break this car wide open by posting all they know.

Closing the thread does nothing.
Did you not read my post? Of course he can, I said that COUNTLESS TIMES. But I am getting PM's from others asking why this information isn't being shared, I've asked countless times for a straight answer, as have others, and that's ALL I'm asking for. Everyone who's PM'ing is obviously hiding in the shadows, and I am not that way. If he doesn't want to give the info out, that's his choice..

Put it this way, whatever he wants to do is fine, the cowards who can't post publicly and have to PM, stop.

In the beginning it was all about getting enough attention on this to get everyone involved and come up with a solution. That is what SF wanted, and I jumped right on board. So if this info has been figured out and it's just a matter of perfecting it, what is the problem with sharing which thermostat was used? I've offered my effort, my funds, my stepdad who is a master fabricator, with a multi-million dollar shop and all of the networking we have in our town, being parts stores, machine shops, you name it.

Call me mean, rude, whatever, but what I have said publicly is nothing more than what others here have said in the shadows. I've actually been nicer. I am not an unfair person, I just call it how I see it. I'm not a yes man, I'm a fair man.

Last edited by cmpcpro; 01-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Did you not read my post? Of course he can, I said that COUNTLESS TIMES. But I am getting PM's from others asking why this information isn't being shared, I've asked countless times for a straight answer, as have others, and that's ALL I'm asking for. Everyone who's PM'ing is obviously hiding in the shadows, and I am not that way. If he doesn't want to give the info out, that's his choice..

Put it this way, whatever he wants to do is fine, the cowards who can't post publicly and have to PM, stop.

In the beginning it was all about getting enough attention on this to get everyone involved and come up with a solution. That is what SF wanted, and I jumped right on board. So if this info has been figured out and it's just a matter of perfecting it, what is the problem with sharing which thermostat was used? I've offered my effort, my funds, my stepdad who is a master fabricator, with a multi-million dollar shop and all of the networking we have in our town, being parts stores, machine shops, you name it.

Call me mean, rude, whatever, but what I have said publicly is nothing more than what others here have said in the shadows. I've actually been nicer. I am not an unfair person, I just call it how I see it. I'm not a yes man, I'm a fair man.
1. I have read this thread with interest from the start. I am in the same boat as every one else. I am not going to persuade or keep asking for something that the guy is not read to share or release.

I think that is smart as people point fingers when something goes wrong.

2. If you have a problem with someone sending you PM messages report it and I will deal with it.

3. Never said anything about you being mean, rude, ect. I did state that he has had the flu, and I know how crappy you feel from it. Give him a break that is all I said to you!

4. Closing this thread again does nothing but start another. I see no problems with the topic or what has been said.

5. If anyone has a problem with a topic please report it so action can be made, whatever that may be?

Chris

Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358297653.126248.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	357864sorry for keep bringing this up but I received my play stat.

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-15-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358298114.812835.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	357865  

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
1. I have read this thread with interest from the start. I am in the same boat as every one else. I am not going to persuade or keep asking for something that the guy is not read to share or release.

I think that is smart as people point fingers when something goes wrong.

2. If you have a problem with someone sending you PM messages report it and I will deal with it.

3. Never said anything about you being mean, rude, ect. I did state that he has had the flu, and I know how crappy you feel from it. Give him a break that is all I said to you!

4. Closing this thread again does nothing but start another. I see no problems with the topic or what has been said.

5. If anyone has a problem with a topic please report it so action can be made, whatever that may be?

Chris
This whole thermostat thing started when I discovered my car running hot. Then SF brought up the idea about trying to make a thermostat to make it run cooler. From the start it was all about getting the attention of others so we could do this together. I agree with perfecting things too. All we are asking for is the thermostat that works.. obviously we will have to retrofit it. If we are doing this together what is the problem releasing this? I am sharing all the information I have found out along the way. First SF said it was my head gaskets, and that I shouldn't waste my time replacing parts like he did to just fix it. After that was proven to not be the case it was the cooling pipe.. Straight from the horses mouth at AGA: I would love to sell you a pipe, but I'm telling you, that's not what the problem is. If your not leaking out of the weephole you don't need one, period. again not the issue.. Now I have discovered running the INPA test on my fan that it's near dead.. a couple other forum members have discovered the same issue. New fan: Problem solved. Fan is kicking on at idle, all is well. I didn't have an issue sharing anything. I spent over $1,500 in CASH.

Everytime I say something that SF doesn't agree with he says I am arguing, please understand, I KNOW he is smart, I KNOW he knows alot about these cars, I am not calling him out, or talking negative, I realize it's near impossible to diagnose something from across the internet. I am simply saying, that we are all here sharing our data, and findings.

I know SF said he had a cold, and now the flu, I understand, I HATE the flu, but come on, just tell us what you used, maybe we can help finish it.. if this is a team thing.. if this is a come on here and get everyone else's data and make it myself and then sell it, then so be it, that's his right, but tell us, be up front, and lets move on, we will make our own or others will I am sure wait for him.. but this is going on three weeks now since we've heard about this 95c tstat working.. thats a long time to avoid telling us what it is, and many people are getting fed up, unfortunately they're evidently too afraid to chime in. I don't mind, I can hang my head high.

I am here to figure it out, make it work, fix my car and everyone elses.. We are all happy, and can move on to other issues. Our cars are obviously plauged with many issues, many more than the normal car. Now we have coolant pipe fix, and soon sec. air system fix, if we can fix cooling issue, that's great.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Very cool!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
This whole thermostat thing started when I discovered my car running hot. Then SF brought up the idea about trying to make a thermostat to make it run cooler. From the start it was all about getting the attention of others so we could do this together. I agree with perfecting things too. All we are asking for is the thermostat that works.. obviously we will have to retrofit it. If we are doing this together what is the problem releasing this? I am sharing all the information I have found out along the way. First SF said it was my head gaskets, and that I shouldn't waste my time replacing parts like he did to just fix it. After that was proven to not be the case it was the cooling pipe.. Straight from the horses mouth at AGA: I would love to sell you a pipe, but I'm telling you, that's not what the problem is. If your not leaking out of the weephole you don't need one, period. again not the issue.. Now I have discovered running the INPA test on my fan that it's near dead.. a couple other forum members have discovered the same issue. New fan: Problem solved. Fan is kicking on at idle, all is well. I didn't have an issue sharing anything. I spent over $1,500 in CASH.

Everytime I say something that SF doesn't agree with he says I am arguing, please understand, I KNOW he is smart, I KNOW he knows alot about these cars, I am not calling him out, or talking negative, I realize it's near impossible to diagnose something from across the internet. I am simply saying, that we are all here sharing our data, and findings.

I know SF said he had a cold, and now the flu, I understand, I HATE the flu, but come on, just tell us what you used, maybe we can help finish it.. if this is a team thing.. if this is a come on here and get everyone else's data and make it myself and then sell it, then so be it, that's his right, but tell us, be up front, and lets move on, we will make our own or others will I am sure wait for him.. but this is going on three weeks now since we've heard about this 95c tstat working.. thats a long time to avoid telling us what it is, and many people are getting fed up, unfortunately they're evidently too afraid to chime in. I don't mind, I can hang my head high.

I am here to figure it out, make it work, fix my car and everyone elses.. We are all happy, and can move on to other issues. Our cars are obviously plauged with many issues, many more than the normal car. Now we have coolant pipe fix, and soon sec. air system fix, if we can fix cooling issue, that's great.
I agree, but coning in and saying close the thread doesn't help.

Lets just try and get it figured out, in time we should all know what road to take.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

My friend if you would like a jump start read what paper posted it will give you a general idea of where to go from hereon this engine. Going to have to find a compatible tstat for the right temp and fit it/ fab it to your needs.

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:

Can you take a video of your fan running at idle? I am especially curious to see how fast in runs at 103-105 degrees.

I contacted a thermostat manufacturer today to see what they would charge to retrofit a 95 degree Celsius thermostat to the stock 105 degree housing.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Guys I took my stock thermostat apart tonight.. took me five minutes to take the spring off, I am testing with a couple springs I've found, we can pretty much tune to whatever temp we want, and good thing is DME still has stock heater.. the heater is cool, its a rod that goes thru the whole tstat.. this shouldn't have been so hard.. there are actually two springs on this tstat, but one is actually operating plunger..

EDIT: Have checked out the stock tstat and the way it works with the wax/rod etc.. the spring is probably not going to help, so we will have to fit an aftermarket to the housing.. probably easier than messing with the stock one.

Last edited by cmpcpro; 01-15-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 AM

So I started experimenting with the orig. tstat, and I cut a little too much (Hardly at all) but I must have exposed the wax in the rod, as the second time boiling it I got this all over the pot.. Wax is coming out, so it looks like if we take apart our tstat (Meaning grinding the rivet on top like I did) there is hardly any metal between that and the wax.. I tried to grind down to figure out how to mount something there, and exposed a white/grey looking material in the metal..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tstatboil.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	357939