Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
I was only measuring the one I cut but with four different therm.Only the one tstat.This was in a pan on the stove and not on the car.

Sent from my M975 using Bimmer App
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Cut a stainless bolt to 1.7 mm ,put under pin.Completely open at 100c.Dont think it can be any longer shim because it would pull valve flap off of seat.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Mine was just starting to open around 103/105c, then I had catastrophic failure (loss of wax) and thermostat was totalled. Housing is still good, so testing stock tstat is out for me, but I am looking for an aftermarket alternative, but I am extremely busy with work too.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Thanks! Are you any good with INPA by chance? I bought my cable and programs from the ebay UK guy, and it was INPA v3.0.. well it doesn't have any options to reset DME adaptations so I found a ver. of 5.0.2 online and now that I installed that I can't even get into Me9 for N62, it tells me the module or something isn't found..
thats strange I got my cable from a UK seller for around 35$
I used that easydis four share link from like randomy IIRC his name was
If its not reading correctly try your other version. i believe it was labeled like delete values or set values selectively, is what i had to use to reset engine adapts then theres an option to delete all or each value selectively

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 01-17-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
thats strange I got my cable from a UK seller for around 35$
I used that easydis four share link from like randomy IIRC his name was
If its not reading correctly try your other version. i believe it was labeled like delete values or set values selectively, is what i had to use to reset engine adapts then theres an option to delete all or each value selectively
v3.0 said it was just a work in progress ver. and there was no location for resetting dme.. 5.0.2 gives me a module error, it says it can't find ne9n62 module or something like that, and it gives alist of all the similar named modules it couldn't find. then it says module found and it says something like e65e66n62 or something like that.

Would you be able to maybe dropbox me the ver. you are using by chance? I would really appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Ok, very nice update:
One tstat maker from Germany will make us 100 tstats at the price of 55$!! I think it's a great price, and it's gonna be oem fit with boiler- so no cel or whatever! They need 2 months for the entire process.
If no one interested I'm gonna invest 5500$ in this, I think it's worth it.

Cmpro: apologize for your bs you posted!

Last edited by SFbay; 01-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Ok, very nice update:
One tstat maker from Germany will make us 100 tstats at the price of 55$!! I think it's a great price, and it's gonna be oem fit with boiler- so no cel or whatever! They need 2 months for the entire process.

I will buy 2-10.

Last edited by wjjklj; 01-17-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Account Under Review

Don't forget these tstats will fit any current V8 and V12!! Which means you can resell it at 150$ easy.
I'm thinking if I should ask about 90C, or is too low??? I know that straight 6 engines have issues with exploding expansion tanks, so even 95 is a little too much.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM

I think 95c would be best.If too cold couldn we run into carbon on valves or sludge?I don't know just throwing it out there.I will buy one from you in a second.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Awesome! I would be down for 2

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I think 95c would be best.If too cold couldn we run into carbon on valves or sludge?I don't know just throwing it out there.I will buy one from you in a second.

90 isn't cold at all!! Don't forget early v12 had 85C!
M engines have 79C and have no issues with carbons. With new synth oils it's not a problem anymore
And you know how ppl drive m cars

Last edited by SFbay; 01-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

90 is. 15 degree difference from oem, that will be nice. Ps my alt bracket started leaking. Fml i will be doing it next weekend if nothing comes up

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
90 is. 15 degree difference from oem, that will be nice. Ps my alt bracket started leaking. Fml i will be doing it next weekend if nothing comes up
Yeah so we can race our N62s without any worries
Don't forget the worst problem you can get with 105C is valve stem seals leakage!!!

Last edited by SFbay; 01-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
Yeah so we can race our N62s without any worries

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Ok, very nice update:

BS I posted? What BS? You STILL haven't released the thermostat you used. If it's no big deal, why not tell us? If your investing $5,500 in the German ones you are CLEARLY in it to make a profit. That is exactly why you aren't releasing any information.

I am not here to argue with you, but I call it how I see it. And obviously I've called it correctly.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Don't forget these tstats will fit any current V8 and V12!! Which means you can resell it at 150$ easy.
I'm thinking if I should ask about 90C, or is too low??? I know that straight 6 engines have issues with exploding expansion tanks, so even 95 is a little too much.
I've talked to some very big BMW experts in the last couple days. I was told 90c would be great, even 85c. Personally I would be a little worried about 85c, not because I think it's too cold, because I don't but just because you have to remember, this car is programmed to run at a certain temp. I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to de-tune itself the cooler the temp is.

If this company will make them I would say 90c would be the sweet spot.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
90 isn't cold at all!! Don't forget early v12 had 85C!
M engines have 79C and have no issues with carbons. With new synth oils it's not a problem anymore
And you know how ppl drive m cars
My stepdad mentioned this the other day. He said, they haven't had carbon issues in years with the oils out today.. So I started to wonder if the carbon problems we have are due to heat, as it is coking.. which could very well be heat heat heat.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Join the club, I think mine just started leaking in the last couple weeks Seems like right around the time I replaced my vacuum pump it started leaking too.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
One question though. Wont the engine run rich trying to warm itself up with the cooler thermostat? As you said cmpc this might mess with the engine tuning...or not Will have to wait and see.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
BS I posted? What BS? You STILL haven't released the thermostat you used. If it's no big deal, why not tell us? If your investing $5,500 in the German ones you are CLEARLY in it to make a profit. That is exactly why you aren't releasing any information.

I am not here to argue with you, but I call it how I see it. And obviously I've called it correctly.
Obviously you're not getting anything. If you're computer technician, then I did it at 14 yo very successfully. Now I'm professional C# developer.
Honestly I don't like my design and it has issues, moreover I'm bored documenting it, bc I don't see the point wasting your time and money on it, when another great option exists.
Believe me I spent 200+ designing, machining it. I've second car 4runner 2007 and I'm super happy with it, so I'm not much worried about e65 sitting in my garage.
Believe me I'm not interested in these few bucks, it's nothing for me. If I was I would say 120$+ per tstat already.
Understood?? Grow up, dude.
I didn't get any help from this forum you can check my topics/threads, but I helped lots of ppl here for FREE!
You're so far getting all advices for free btw, without any contribution.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-17-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo BMW View Post
One question though. Wont the engine run rich trying to warm itself up with the cooler thermostat? As you said cmpc this might mess with the engine tuning...or not Will have to wait and see.
Nope, bc on the hwy you run it at 90C, DME thinks its cold before 70C, then it's ok temp.
105C is only to save 1-2mpg in the city, but it's still not 100% confirmed.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Ok, very nice update:

WOW ONLY 2 MONTHS !!!

DAMN that is really fast for them to complete considering they have to
Design , calibrate , test , & make sure they are not infringing on any of
BMW's patent's & who knows what else must be done for them to complete
100 working units .

1 word = WOW !!!

COUNT ME IN FOR 1-10 ALSO ...

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
WOW ONLY 2 MONTHS !!!

DAMN that is really fast for them to complete considering they have to
Design , calibrate , test , & make sure they are not infringing on any of
BMW's patent's & who knows what else must be done for them to complete
100 working units .

1 word = WOW !!!

COUNT ME IN FOR 1-10 ALSO ...
At least smbdy understood, how uneasy it is.
Yes they said they won't provide oem certificates, it's going to be just custom tstat made for us.
They said they have 221f already, all they do is swapping that element.
The only test they will provide is temp of opening.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Quote:

All I hear is you complaining. Why not stop while your ahead.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Obviously you're not getting anything. If you're computer technician, then I did it at 14 yo very successfully. Now I'm professional C# developer.
Honestly I don't like my design and it has issues, moreover I'm bored documenting it, bc I don't see the point wasting your time and money on it, when another great option exists.
Believe me I spent 200+ designing, machining it. I've second car 4runner 2007 and I'm super happy with it, so I'm not much worried about e65 sitting in my garage.
Believe me I'm not interested in these few bucks, it's nothing for me. If I was I would say 120$+ per tstat already.
Understood?? Grow up, dude.
I didn't get any help from this forum you can check my topics/threads, but I helped lots of ppl here for FREE!
You're so far getting all advices for free btw, without any contribution.
I was repairing my teacher's computers when I was 11-12, in 7th grade I had my teacher over at my house sitting on my couch talking to my mom while I was fixing her computer.. I've been doing computers since I was a kid. You've mentioned it's not perfect, but we are all big boys and willing to take the chance. If you've got it working a little even, I told you my resources that could very well solve all the issues. Bottom line, there is NO reason not to tell us what you used, other than you either don't want to, you want to profit, etc.. something..

You may not have gotten any help from this board, I don't know, and I am sure you've given good advice.. You told me not to waste my time diagnosing my problem, to just pull the heads and replace the head gaskets. Once that was proven incorrect you said it was the coolant pipe. I found a thread months ago where someone had the same issue, and you wrote over and over it was their coolant pipe until the guy replaced it. He then wrote back it didn't solve his problem, and you never replied back, left him high and dry. AGA is telling me, sure we'll sell you a pipe, but you don't need it yet.

I am not ridiculing you as a person, or your knowledge, I am sure you are very smart, but you should know that you can't diagnose something over the internet and that you can have five cars with the same symptoms and different causes. It happens.

I would still love to know which thermostat you used, as you got a working 95c running temp, even if there are minor issues. If I can't fix it and I waste a couple hundred dollars then thats on me, but I'm a big boy I'll take the hit.

Whether you ask for help on here or not, everyone learns on this board. You see other's problems, and what they're doing to fix them, and that gives you ideas when you have the issues, etc.. If you aren't getting anything from being here there would be no reason to stay.. we all learn on here, some more than others. I have a list of accounts on many forums for many different types of cars, every car I've owned recently.. I may ask alot of questions at first, but I learn VERY fast and then I start contributing.. that is how these boards go.