Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Could you have done the coolant pipe wrong and is leaking from front or back seal? I had a theory I posted a while back that if the coolant pipe is leaking and that is fixed and now system can go up to full pressure will it just blow out other spots? Its one of the reasons I didn't feel so bad replacing my whole system.. Hopefully your back plate isn't leaking, if so that is a trans drop to get to it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Well for those who are interested that loud noise that I was talking about was infact my secondary air pump. It seems when replacing the thermostat, or before and I just noticed it then, which is very likely, the line under the intake was cracked. Probably before I bought the car as the air pump CEL came one for PO but went off when I did the new batt. and plugs etc.. Anyway, I activated the pump with the engine off via INPA and the noise started..
Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Well I'm take the car home before the wife kills me:-(( car not leaking for the past 4hours. It's not stock pipe, I used the bimmer pipe kit. Check it before seem good. The cap and sensor I checked for leaks didn't see anything?when the car was on the lift I was looking between the engine and tranny didn't see any sign of leak wet or dry???? Let see the next couple of day I'll go back to the shop and check it again. But I'm going to get that leak test stuff.
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Not sure if the bimmerpipe was the best way.. I wouldn't go with anything besides AGA pipe, the rest are just knock offs, it's clear when you look at them.. atleast to me. I don't know, it's done now, but I have heard a couple people with installing them and having issues.. SFBay installed the URO and a few months later it went to hell again..
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Just run it and look for leaks, hopefully you just overfilled.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Not sure if the bimmerpipe was the best way.. I wouldn't go with anything besides AGA pipe, the rest are just knock offs, it's clear when you look at them.. atleast to me. I don't know, it's done now, but I have heard a couple people with installing them and having issues.. SFBay installed the URO and a few months later it went to hell again..
Not really completely true. Bc it worked perfect right after I fixed the pipe, but:

-I never had coolant pipe external leak before the pipe job. I only did it bc 107+ I inspected the seal when I removed wp and found it was eaten from the bottom and small very very tiny teardrops were coming from valley pan into coolant pipe or wp hole.

-after it went again to 106-108 I didn't find any leaks from pipe hole.

My assumption is:
Not necessary the URO pipe is bad!!! The design is all similar in those pipes, may be its easier to install the aga one.
Once I fixed coolant pipe and installed new valley pan, the system got its crazy 200psi pressure back and destroyed that rear plate cover- as a result it started sucking air again;( also could be heater core leak, but I doubt it its very important.
So.... If you wanna do everything right you need that rear cover replaced, mechanics from bmw tell me it's very common- just look for coolant teardrops sitting on the tranny housing where engine and tranny meet each other. Some say its rear crankshaft seal leak bc coolant gets mixed with other oil leaks, but if you analyze it you'll find coolant there!
The good news is: even with 105Tstat if you don't have any leaks the temp will not go higher than 101-103 and is very efficient, but not long lasting.
So far bad news with my 95tstat:
Checked with inpa and it says only tstat error present,
BUT 4 smog tests were incomplete!!!
Evap, cats, o2 heaters, sec air!!!!!
I guess DME doesn't like my mod;(

It's also possible that I didn't drive my car for 2 weeks and battery almost died, so it might reset DME, but I drove it 60mls and it didn't help;((((
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Thought i would add this in, started this morning with low coolant message fml thats how long it lasted before a leak, couple months :thumbdown:

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
Thought i would add this in, started this morning with low coolant message fml thats how long it lasted before a leak, couple months :thumbdown:
fml? What lasted for a couple months? If you have recently done work to your coolant system could it be just some last air escaping? Wijji found something very interesting.. even though TIS shows to turn heater on max and blower on low, after youve done that and driven for a couple days if you turn heater on max and blower on max the temp does go down lower, and the first time it dropped his coolant level, so it obviously got some air out.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
rideme2

Ok so today no leak:-))) cooling level went down a little. Guess its the air go out? But know I have a check engine light on!!! Went to autozone to check it and my tstact heater control circuit high? Open or short condition? Poor electrical connection... I was messing with the tstact the day before and I cut the spring just cause to see it it open sooner.. Car only hit 103 in the city, hway was 90.. Thought all was good till this morning with check engine light on!!! Now I have to wait till Tuesday cause Monday is holiday dealer close:-(((( I hate having any light on my DASH!!!!!
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
rideme2

Question?? What ANTIFREEZE you guys are using??? The dealer has a new color? Blue?? My is orange. But you guys use the dealer antifreeze for all these repairs???
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
fml? What lasted for a couple months? If you have recently done work to your coolant system could it be just some last air escaping? Wijji found something very interesting.. even though TIS shows to turn heater on max and blower on low, after youve done that and driven for a couple days if you turn heater on max and blower on max the temp does go down lower, and the first time it dropped his coolant level, so it obviously got some air out.
The last pipe I replaced was the vent pipe that goes from the top rear of exp tank to the heads behind the tb. Didnt lose too much coolant and topped off

And @rideme i use bmw coolant

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 01-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM

I'm using BMW coolant too I thought it was always blue.. anyway I am starting to think it's crap.. I have been doing alot of testing with different formulations of water and coolant, I have gone thru three bottles of BMW coolant so far in a couple weeks testing, and it seems that using a quarter bottle of coolant and the rest distilled water is the best combo, keep in mind I live in SoCal with no snow.. but the more coolant I add the higher the temps are..
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
rideme2

Your cooling is orange not blue? Blue is beening use on the 2013? Orange came out 2006-2008?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Don't worry it's an old leak you didn't know about.
Main 3 things which might be leaking:
Coolant pipe
Valley pan
Rear plate
Heater core
Some quickfit connections
The best way to find out is uv leak detection fluid.
DON'T drive your cars with a leak - it's going to be too expensive.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Don't worry it's an old leak you didn't know about.
Main 3 things which might be leaking:
Coolant pipe
Valley pan
Rear plate
Heater core
Some quickfit connections
The best way to find out is uv leak detection fluid.
DON'T drive your cars with a leak - it's going to be too expensive.
Theres no dripping fluid anywhere so irdk where it is . Has to be either rear hoses rear plate or something there is no water dripping anywhere. All i can see is oil coming from abg from the underside

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Theres no dripping fluid anywhere so irdk where it is . Has to be either rear hoses rear plate or something there is no water dripping anywhere. All i can see is oil coming from abg from the underside
That's why I mentioned UV fluid, without it you won't see anything bc with N62 head temps you won't see any leakage-it evaporates very quick, unless its not leaking from engine.
When I had small leak from that bleeding hose I could only see some dry coolant residue, but no real coolant leak.
This engine is super hot frying pan
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

I will try and check when i have a chance and report back

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 01-20-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
That's why I mentioned UV fluid, without it you won't see anything bc with N62 head temps you won't see any leakage-it evaporates very quick, unless its not leaking from engine.
When I had small leak from that bleeding hose I could only see some dry coolant residue, but no real coolant leak.
This engine is super hot frying pan
He's right our engines make a mean ribeye steak!

AGA owner has said over and over if no weephole leak no coolant pipe problem, period. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the back plate.. put it this way, my car doesn't leak coolant, atleast in the few months I've owned it I have had no coolant loss.. but I am leaking oil, probably out of alt bracket, as it's on that end.. well it leaves a couple little puddles every night, yet a month since last oil change the oil isn't dropping.. so a small leak will take a long time to show on a dipstick or other measuring tool..

A couple times when I was changing my coolant or around then I would get a whiff of coolant smell when I would get into my car and start.. I thought maybe I had a leak near back of the engine, but it's been gone for a long time now so I guess maybe not.. but it can sure happen..

Now that I know that horrible noise that sounds like a metal or gurgling noise is just AIR lol, I know I either have to take the intake off or do what that one guy did and try and fish them thru the intake, so I will probably take intake off and replace the coolant pipe while I'm at it.. Probably do it in the next week or two..

In other unrelated news: I replaced my original fuel filter/fuel regulator today.. Even after pulling the fuel pump fuse and running car til it was dying I pulled off the hose from filter to engine and it was really pressurized still.. but overall a very easy job, and guess what? I really do actually notice a difference! Between this, the CPS's and the O-rings on the VANOS solenoids I have restored a surprisingly big chunk of power..
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
Ok so today no leak:-))) cooling level went down a little. Guess its the air go out? But know I have a check engine light on!!! Went to autozone to check it and my tstact heater control circuit high? Open or short condition? Poor electrical connection... I was messing with the tstact the day before and I cut the spring just cause to see it it open sooner.. Car only hit 103 in the city, hway was 90.. Thought all was good till this morning with check engine light on!!! Now I have to wait till Tuesday cause Monday is holiday dealer close:-(((( I hate having any light on my DASH!!!!!
How much of the spring did you cut.At higher RPMs the pump pressure was opening the valve it sounds like.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 AM

Sorry to get off topic again lol but how often do you guys change oil.I waited 6k with 0w30 GC Castrol and it had become noticeably thicker.I sent it to blackstone for analysis.Thicker means it may have become unusually acidic which could shorten seal life.

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-21-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
How much of the spring did you cut.At higher RPMs the pump pressure was opening the valve it sounds like.
Doesn't work that way, only heat can open it, it's opened with wax expanding.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry to get off topic again lol but how often do you guys change oil.I waited 6k with 0w30 GC Castrol and it had become noticeably thicker.I sent it to blackstone for analysis.Thicker means it may have become unusually acidic which could shorten seal life.
You can call me stupid, but I use Mobil 1 0/40.. It's like $8-9 a quart, so when Autozone has it on sale I get it for about $5 a quart.. then last black Friday Pep Boys had it for about $3-4 a quart so I bought boxes of it.. I change my oil every 3k, some people laugh, but I say, it's black, so it's obviously dirty.. it makes me feel good to change it, it may have a lot of life in it, but if it's black there is obviously room for improvement.. this car stays clear for at least the first 1k miles.. where my Benz gets dark after a few hundred, so I know this motor is cleaner, probably because of the high heat, either keeps it clean or cooks it to the walls lol
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Doesn't work that way, only heat can open it, it's opened with wax expanding.
What's the spring for?Take the spring off and it will be open all the time?The wax motor has to push against the spring.When your checking it in the pan of water there's no pump pressure so spring will have no effect.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
What's the spring for?Take the spring off and it will be open all the time?The wax motor has to push against the spring.When your checking it in the pan of water there's no pump pressure so spring will have no effect.
Oh I see smart questions here
Spring is for??? To keep it closed well, without spring it will not be sealed well. Cold wax has no much pressure to keep it fully closed.

Otherwise what do we need spring for ?? Lets throw it away then?))
Cutting spring will create leak inside, so your tstat is never fully closed.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
There is no wax motor just a rod and as the wax heats and expands it pushes against the rod and opens