Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Workshop mode does not shut off trunk light?

I thought workshop mode was supposed to shut off all interior lights. So why, after 45 minutes, did I have to unplug the trunk light because it was still lit? Is there a way to shut it off when the trunk lid must be left open for an extended period?

(Let's set aside for now the question of why I need to leave the trunk open overnight....)

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Last year we noticed that the trunk light in our '11 335is turned itself after some undetermined period of time.

My wife came home from work one day, opened the trunk to unload it, and then saw the next door neighbor out in front, so she went over to chat. I went out some time later because I heard that she was home but hadn't come into the house yet. When we walked back to the garage, the trunk light was off. Just to make sure that the trunk light hadn't burned out, I closed the trunk and when I opened it again it came on. I didn't know that it did this. We've since confirmed this on at least a couple other occasions. I definitely didn't know it was known as "workshop mode".

(Did you spill something in your trunk?)
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Last year we noticed that the trunk light in our '11 335is turned itself after some undetermined period of time. ... I definitely didn't know it was known as "workshop mode".

That's normal operation, or so I believed. You have no doubt noticed the cabin lights also turn off after a short time (5-10 minutes I think). That is why I was so surprised to see the cargo lamp still lit after close to an hour. I thought it was on the same or a similar timer.

Workshop mode disables the cabin lights so they are unaffected by opening and closing doors. To activate it, turn on the interior lights, then press and hold the master light switch (in the roof console) until the lights turn off. The doors may now be opened and closed repeatedly without turning on the cabin lights, while you work in & around the car (hence the name). To resume normal operation the lights must be turned on manually at the master switch or by turning on the ignition.

It's a handy feature that's been around since at least the E36. It avoids unnecessary battery drain & lamp on/off cycles during extended work periods where you might be in & out of the car a lot.

As to the spill...I really should have allowed tonight's fourth passenger to sit with his feet astride the full gallon of premixed windshield washer fluid. I moved it to the trunk and at some point the very well-secured cap turned out to be not very well-secured at all. So now my trunk is, to all appearances, in my den, drying out after vacuuming. The car is sitting with rear doors and trunk open (in shop mode) to air out the few sodden bits I could not remove.

Words cannot express how relieved I am that I discovered this before the spill reached any of the underfloor electronics. On the plus side, it's BMW fluid so the car smells great....

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 12-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I'll have to try that. However, it could have been worse:

A long, long time ago, a young female co-worker went on a camping trip with her new Volkswagen Rabbit (this is how she related it to me after she got back). She was going to make scrambled eggs for breakfast, so she mixed the egg and milk mixture in a bowl and set it on the back shelf with the hatch open. Somehow the shelf got bumped, dumping the entire mixture of milk and beaten eggs into the back seat.

I don't know if she ever got that smell out of the car.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Somehow the shelf got bumped, dumping the entire mixture of milk and beaten eggs into the back seat.

I don't know if she ever got that smell out of the car.
That's horrible. I doubt she did; the odor of soured milk is all but impossible to remove completely.

I am nearly done with my spill adventure. I had wondered why I extracted so much less than a gallon of fluid from the trunk lining and yesterday I found the answer: The insulation blanket under the rear seat was thoroughly soaked, even more so than the trunk. I figure the cap must have snapped off the bottle when it rolled forward at a stop, dumping most of the contents over the body rail at the front of the trunk & under the seat. Removing that blanket without cutting it entailed removing the split-folding seat backs, which was no picnic. Everything else was quick and easy.

It's all dry now, awaiting reassembly later today. I don't mind the work because nothing screams "neglected car" like the smell of mildew--there's no way I will let that take hold!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Last year we noticed that the trunk light in our '11 335is turned itself after some undetermined period of time.

My wife came home from work one day, opened the trunk to unload it, and then saw the next door neighbor out in front, so she went over to chat. I went out some time later because I heard that she was home but hadn't come into the house yet. When we walked back to the garage, the trunk light was off. Just to make sure that the trunk light hadn't burned out, I closed the trunk and when I opened it again it came on. I didn't know that it did this. We've since confirmed this on at least a couple other occasions. I definitely didn't know it was known as "workshop mode".

This is how my trunk light works, too.

Maybe somehow "workshop mode" disables the normal light timing mechanism. Maybe if you just let the lights turns off "naturally" the trunk light would have gone off, too.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Maybe somehow "workshop mode" disables the normal light timing mechanism. Maybe if you just let the lights turns off "naturally" the trunk light would have gone off, too.
Undoubtedly so. I guess the fact that it's not considered an "interior light" in the context of shop mode is just one of those quirks we have to accept.

At some point it did decide to cut power to the trunk light. When I reconnected the light the next morning it remained off.