Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Hesitation In Comfort Mode?

AC cranking in 95 degrees, needed a quick hit to change lanes and uh-oh...Hesitation before it gave me what I expected right away. Is that normal in Comfort Mode?
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 428 Grand Coupe M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson36 View Post
AC cranking in 95 degrees, needed a quick hit to change lanes and uh-oh...Hesitation before it gave me what I expected right away. Is that normal in Comfort Mode?
Happened to me to. I am working to repeatedly produce the problem because my last service visit did not show the problem. Once I have the technique to repeat the event on command I will demonstrate it to the service manager.

This is an electric throttle system. the computer should be able to control the system through an effective throttle response off the line like my 2005 SAAB 95. IT is sad my SAAB can out perform my 428 on a throttle goose.

You should do the same. enough of us complain, maybe BMW will fix the software.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 320i 6MT M Sport
I noticed throttle LAG on the 428i GC I was driving at the UDE at Met Life Stadium in NJ on the autocross course. It was pretty warm out, but nowhere near 95 degrees. I asked the instructor if the car was in Sport Mode and her reply was yes. I have a 6MT and no LAG with my car. On any of the F30 8AT ZF cars I have driven or ridden in there is definitely a little lag, including the AH3. I would expect with the electric motors zero lag. I think it is the programming. It is annoying.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I've always noticed what I would call a "hitch" when I hit the throttle to pass on the highway. I thought it was maybe a downshift, but maybe it's the lag you guys are talking about.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
My 328xi has exhibited what I would describe as delayed throttle response numerous times over the three years I have owned it. It is more noticeable in comfort mode but has happened a bit in sport mode too. We'll see if my 340xi when it arrives has the same problem, but hopefully not.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
I think it is normal. If I want to move I put it in Sport. Don't think of it as "comfort mode," but rather Lexus IS 250 mode. It makes more sense that way b/c it really does feel more like a Lexus than a BMW in that setting. Also "Eco Pro" as "Honda Civic" mode.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 '00 Z3 2.8 LCI '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
This annoys me like crazy. I think its a combination of transmission and turbo lag. Braking into a corner and trying to accelerate out of it can be maddening at times.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffinity View Post
This annoys me like crazy. I think its a combination of transmission and turbo lag. Braking into a corner and trying to accelerate out of it can be maddening at times.
A more serious issue that occurs with this behavior is when you are turning left at a busy intersection. The transmission and turbo lag, combined, can result in almost 1/2 a second before anything happens even if you mash the gas pedal.

I've had a few hesitations in the above scenario that I considered unacceptable on any car, let alone one with the 328xi price tag.

I'm basically rolling the dice that the combination of newer engine and other LCI refinements in 340i will make this a thing of the past.
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
A more serious issue that occurs with this behavior is when you are turning left at a busy intersection. The transmission and turbo lag, combined, can result in almost 1/2 a second before anything happens even if you mash the gas pedal.

I've had a few hesitations in the above scenario that I considered unacceptable on any car, let alone one with the 328xi price tag.

I'm basically rolling the dice that the combination of newer engine and other LCI refinements in 340i will make this a thing of the past.
I never experience that with my 335i. If anything the throttle tip-in from a full stop is a bit twitchy. If I'm not really careful to ease into the gas, the car lurches forward.

In the circumstances you describe, you might want to switch to manual mode and start in 1st. Comfort mode usually starts in 2nd.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I never experience that with my 335i. If anything the throttle tip-in from a full stop is a bit twitchy. If I'm not really careful to ease into the gas, the car lurches forward.

In the circumstances you describe, you might want to switch to manual mode and start in 1st. Comfort mode usually starts in 2nd.
I think it's a bit easier said than done to have the foresight to start manipulating the drive mode when you are doing something as mundane as sitting at a left turn intersection to go hit the local fast food joint on your way home to the family.

One thing that I'm looking forward to with my new car (if it ever gets a production number) is that I believe you can now tweak sport mode so that transmission/steering/throttle can all be unlinked from each other.

I suspect what I will end up doing is just tuning sport mode to what I want and then just getting into the habit of driving the car in sport mode 90% of the time when I'm not doing a highway commute.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Yeah. Due to the slight hesitation in comfort mode, I have been driving only in sports mode for months now.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport
On my 335 I can make sport mode change just the throttle and not change the suspension. I haven't tried it but would think that would give you the response you desire and also the ride quality?

Dennis

2014 335i M Sport / Mineral Grey Metallic / Dynamic Handling Package / Premium / Tech / Driver Assistance / HK Stereo / Heated Seats
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxway View Post
Yeah. Due to the slight hesitation in comfort mode, I have been driving only in sports mode for months now.
I always switch my 435 into sport mode once I get in. Occasionally I forget, and I can feel a slight hesitation when I accelerate.

I wonder if there is a way to code it so it will always start in sport mode?
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
Comfort mode has slower throttle response than Sport. Try accelerating away from a stop in Comfort and at a steady throttle setting switch to Sport and see what happens.

I have also found with both the N54 and N55 the cars accelerate harder with a gradual roll on of the gas instead of just mashing it down.

My car has a MT and will pull quite smoothly from 1500 rpm if you ease into the gas with no lag. Stomping the pedal will induce lag anywhere below 3000rpm.

Your results will, of course, vary.

jummo
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I think it's a bit easier said than done to have the foresight to start manipulating the drive mode when you are doing something as mundane as sitting at a left turn intersection to go hit the local fast food joint on your way home to the family.
I just flip the transmission lever to the left to engage sport mode for those circumstances, e.g. when I just need a downshift and some rapid acceleration. It's not a big deal for me and easier than finding the sport mode button. I don't think just using the transmission sport mode gets you the more agressive throttle mapping though.