Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Post Side effect may include..

A little summary of possible problems in a new F30. All of these might be a little extreme but they actually happened to other posters:

- shipping blocks
- HK speaker missing in one door
- number plate holes in the bumper when the CA was clearly asked to make sure they are NOT drilled
- AT when MT was ordered (kinda easy to spot, LOL)
- all sorts of HUD issues: top part of the display disappearing, a grey box showing around it, the whole HUD not showing at all
- abnormally loud engine operation when idling
- paint inclusions
- tail brake light easily popping out
- gas door opening on its own
- comfort access and trunk lid kick operation issues (I believe most of those are related to user error)
- excessively squeaking brakes

Treat this with some distance Some of these cases were isolated incidents that probably will never happen to anyone again (it's like in a drug commercial on tv - if it ever happened to anyone, it has to be mentioned) but then some were reported by more than one person. Having said that I believe fully in BMW QC. I couldn't be happier with my current E90 - almost 150K miles and everything works beautifully but now I know I will be looking for any of these when taking delivery of my 335i soon. Anything you would add to this list?

Ads by Google
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Auto trans fail - that's no small issue but I've seen more then a couple of isolated incidents ! I'm taking my 335 I in to evaluate for one this week . Will keep everyone posted . I know for sure though that of it does happen to be a trans failure , I'm refusing to keep the vehicle . I'm not paying 50k for a vehicle with less then stellar mechanics. I'm open to invoking the lemon law if required . My fall back option an S5 !
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM

I'm getting a stick so I might have not paid attention to AT failure reports.

Re: lemon laws, most states require three failed attempts to fix the product by the seller before you can invoke them but I understand what you're saying.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
-rust on front seat frames
-steering wheel vibration/oscillation between 40-60 mph
-polarized sunglasses render HUD less visible or completely invisible
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
The sunglasses thing isn't a problem that your car MIGHT have. It's the nature of a HUD. The general consensus is you can still see the HUD, and it's pretty easy to see with max brightness.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
The sunglasses thing isn't a problem that your car MIGHT have. It's the nature of a HUD. The general consensus is you can still see the HUD, and it's pretty easy to see with max brightness.
Yes, polarized lenses are really the problem. They have a filter that blocks light from a horizontal polarization. In many cases, you won't be able to see your cell phone, gas pump displays, ATMs, GPS, and even ice when skiing.

They're really nice when fishing. You can see the water better on a bright days, but sometimes, they just don't feel natural to me. Probably because they are blocking a lot of light that's really there.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yes, polarized lenses are really the problem. They have a filter that blocks light from a horizontal polarization. In many cases, you won't be able to see your cell phone, gas pump displays, ATMs, GPS, and even ice when skiing.

They're really nice when fishing. You can see the water better on a bright days, but sometimes, they just don't feel natural to me. Probably because they are blocking a lot of light that's really there.
They tend to be really good at blocking reflected light off water, which as you say, makes them great for water related activities. They are also good for winter motorsports. I had polarized sunglasses on for all of my test drives and I didn't have a problem seeing the HUD. It was more clear without them on, but certainly not invisible with them.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
Adding the first two to the list, thanks!