Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Hmmm now I'm feeling a bit guilty about not breaking in the car more gently.

It's got about 1500 miles on it... for the first 1000 I'd say I never went over 5500 rpms (and very rare when I hit that) and I still haven't gone over 90 mph... I still rarely go over 5500, as I don't see much point... overall I really haven't driven it very hard.

Hope I haven't done any damage.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
The

Now that my car is properly broken in I took it on a joyride that few people have privilege to drive, Old Topanga. Been driving it since 16 years old on motorcycles and various cars.

I was apprehensive how it would compare to the E46 3 Series and of course my E46 M3. It was a pleasant surprise. It felt really good on the hard corners, and the N55 Turbo pulled well on the climb--as good or better than the M3's S54.

The only disappointment was that the Conti run flats "scrubbed" a bit on the really tight corners compared to the Pilots on the M3. The other surprise is that I had to kick the throttle harder for rev matching than I thought I would--even in Sports mode.

Corners that my E39 5er gave me the pucker factor were non existent in the 335i. It felt like a a true tossable 3er.

Now to deal with rusty seats.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topanga.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	355546  
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Hmmm now I'm feeling a bit guilty about not breaking in the car more gently.

It's got about 1500 miles on it... for the first 1000 I'd say I never went over 5500 rpms (and very rare when I hit that) and I still haven't gone over 90 mph... I still rarely go over 5500, as I don't see much point... overall I really haven't driven it very hard.

Hope I haven't done any damage.
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact I am quite surprised to hear you are not tempted to go over 5500rpm. It's really A LOT of fun to take it to the red line at least a few times on a good road and now you should feel free to do so! Go drive and have lots of fun!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact I am quite surprised to hear you are not tempted to go over 5500rpm. It's really A LOT of fun to take it to the red line at least a few times on a good road and now you should feel free to do so! Go drive and have lots of fun!
You're an idiot. Did you graduate High School or did you get a GED?
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
I'm an idiot just because I'm trying to reassure you you haven't done damage to your car and that taking it to red line is actually fun? Wow.... loosen up and maybe try to not to assume people have bad/stupid intentions when reading posts. Enjoy the rest of your New Years Day!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Elk Elk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ~
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 888
Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
You're an idiot. Did you graduate High School or did you get a GED?


otonimus indicates he now has 1,500+ on his car. DavidM1975 suggests that otonimus can feel free to run his car over 5,500 RPM and to redline if he so chooses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
I'm an idiot just because I'm trying to reassure you you haven't done damage to your car and that taking it to red line is actually fun? Wow.... loosen up and maybe try to not to assume people have bad/stupid intentions when reading posts. Enjoy the rest of your New Years Day!
It's very fun once the motor is broken in. The first 1000 he said he took it to 5500. That's okay?
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i

Last edited by EddieB; 01-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
vst335is's Avatar
vst335is vst335is is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact I am quite surprised to hear you are not tempted to go over 5500rpm. It's really A LOT of fun to take it to the red line at least a few times on a good road and now you should feel free to do so! Go drive and have lots of fun!
I agree, enjoy the car! As long as you don't reach the red line all the time you are ok.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
You're an idiot. Did you graduate High School or did you get a GED?
Dude...

He wasn't suggesting that regularly hitting 5500 during the break-in period is a good idea.

He was suggesting that the occasional time that I did it during the break-in period is probably not such a big deal... (which I hope is indeed the case)

A. Read posts more carefully.

B. If and when you actually DO read and understand what is written, and you disagree, being nasty and childish about it still isn't warranted.

Lighten up.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Dude...

He wasn't suggesting that regularly hitting 5500 during the break-in period is a good idea.

He was suggesting that the occasional time that I did it during the break-in period is probably not such a big deal... (which I hope is indeed the case)

A. Read posts more carefully.

B. If and when you actually DO read and understand what is written, and you disagree, being nasty and childish about it still isn't warranted.

Lighten up.
I read it. It is just so funny that people say that BMW is full of **** because they say change the oil every 15,000 miles yet that has to be deleterious to the car. But when they say to adhere to a break-in of the engine. Oh my god, they're wrong. Take it to redline out of the lot. So lets all change our oil at 30,000 miles.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,366
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
It's very fun once the motor is broken in. The first 1000 he said he took it to 5500. That's okay?
Break in period is not half as important as it use to be. Although manufacturers still recommand it, modern day mechining technonolgy and tight tolarance have made the break in period not as essential as it use to be in the old days. After the first few hundred miles, its not going to hurt the engine if he rev 5500 once a while.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Break in period is not half as important as it use to be. Although manufacturers still recommand it, modern day mechining technonolgy and tight tolarance have made the break in period not as essential as it use to be in the old days. After the first few hundred miles, its not going to hurt the engine if he rev 5500 once a while.
Are you talking from experience or assuming it will be ok "after the first few hundred miles".
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 346
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Another break-in question: is the 1,200 mile standard the same whether you're driving city miles or highway miles?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,678
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
The owner's manual does not make a differentiation between the two.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,366
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Are you talking from experience or assuming it will be ok "after the first few hundred miles".
cheers
vern
I am saying break in period is that important anymore. You can take that for what its worth.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I am saying break in period is that important anymore. You can take that for what its worth.
Not worth much to me if its just talk. I'll stick by what the manual states. I haven't gone wrong in all the BMW's I've owned so far. Good luck.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Ducker Ducker is offline
Registered User
Location: San diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I'm at 450 miles. I been driving conservatively most of the time. I accidentally hit 5500 rpm when I gave it some juice up a hill off the stop sign. Sure is fun set me back in the seAt. My brakes are cover under the 4 year warranty right? I've noticed that these things can stop on a dime....
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 346
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
The owner's manual does not make a differentiation between the two.
Practically speaking, though, do you think it would make a difference? Meaning, is it more about the miles or the hours?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Practically speaking, though, do you think it would make a difference? Meaning, is it more about the miles or the hours?
That's a good point because on a piston engine aircraft the "odometer" would be a clock. The number of hours the engine runs.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i

Last edited by EddieB; 01-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducker View Post
.... My brakes are cover under the 4 year warranty right? I've noticed that these things can stop on a dime....
Yup. Bumper to bumper including all maintenance and wear items except the tires.
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM
vonmayr vonmayr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tucson AZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Practically speaking, though, do you think it would make a difference? Meaning, is it more about the miles or the hours?
Now you are entering the area where opinions are the only thing you have. Mike Miller, who is a well respected Bimmer tech guy, has the following words to say in his "old school maintenance" PDF. This is the advice I plan to follow.

"As for break-in technique, my best advice is to break-in the engine over an extended road
trip comprised of as much mountainous terrain as possible, for as long as possible up to
1,200 miles, and keep the rpms within the limits BMW recommends on the windshield
sticker included with all new BMWs.

I also recommend a 1,200-mile break-in service for rebuilt engines and other rebuilt
drivetrain components."

So you can take it for what it is worth - here's somebody who has been around Bimmers for a long time and is a well respected mechanical guru. YMMV.

Cheers!
__________________

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,678
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Practically speaking, though, do you think it would make a difference? Meaning, is it more about the miles or the hours?
Well, I'll give you my real world experience with my old E46. I babied the engine at first and progressively went higher in the RPM range as I approached 1200 miles.

How did the engine respond to that particular methodology? Well, that car had over two months worth of track days on it and the engine was still in top shape at 180k on the odometer before it was totaled (by some asshat who decided to buy retreaded tires for his SUV - that's a whole other story). Anyway, that engine would not used any oil between oil changes. (7500 mile interval)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 346
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Another question:

I read through this thread pretty carefully trying to find out what happens if you don't break in your car properly. The only thing I saw for sure is that if you do break it in, it won't burn as much oil down the road.

Is that the only issue to be concerned about if you "drive it like you stole it" from mile 1? What else might go wrong, or at least be suboptimal, if you don't break in the car properly?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 346
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
"As for break-in technique, my best advice is to break-in the engine over an extended road
trip comprised of as much mountainous terrain as possible, for as long as possible up to
1,200 miles, and keep the rpms within the limits BMW recommends on the windshield
sticker included with all new BMWs.

I also recommend a 1,200-mile break-in service for rebuilt engines and other rebuilt
drivetrain components."
I'll be sure to take advantage of the vast mountainous terrain of northeastern Illinois during my break-in period!
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,366
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Another question:

I read through this thread pretty carefully trying to find out what happens if you don't break in your car properly. The only thing I saw for sure is that if you do break it in, it won't burn as much oil down the road.

Is that the only issue to be concerned about if you "drive it like you stole it" from mile 1? What else might go wrong, or at least be suboptimal, if you don't break in the car properly?
Thats not a fact, just because you dont break in your engine properly, it does not necessarily means your engine will burn oil. I dont think that has been a conclusion in any test. In my opinion, the biggest concern with high rpm on a new drivetrain is catastrophic failures resulting from the higher friction of a new drivetrain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms