Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Cool x3 battery change threw codes

Hi everyone, I'm new to your forum. I've been a car guy most of my life, mostly domestic with the exception of my wifes 325xi, porsche cayman s and her current 2008 x3. well yesterday the x3 cranked over real sluggish but finally started, I figured we were going away for a few days, I'll just change the battery. After watching a u tube video and the so-called mech. saying there's nothing to it, you just swap it out. Well guess what, a simple swap now shows error codes on the airbag, brakes and aws. Nice move u tube guy. My first instincts were to keep power source to the cables but I was in a rush. now I'm #$@&*^ed. So does anyone know of a quick fix to this problem or do I need to buy a cable and code clearing software to fix this. I must say I do enjoy driving these foreign cars but the repair voodoo they throw into them is rediculous!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
code fix

The codes that are common to the group covered in federal law can be cleared with an ordinary code reader available at Autozone, etc. Actually, they will come out and hook up to read the codes and then clear them. On the brake code, it is cleared by turning the ignition key to the first place where the dash lights come on, wait about 15 seconds and it turns itself off. I cussed that one too! A young girl at work bought a used 3 series at the dealer and also purchased the warranty - with her dad telling her NO!!! The other day her battery acted up when she was near the dealership and she had them put a new one in - $450!!!! Now she gets to start saving for new tires all over again.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Brunke, thank you for the reply. I tried the reset, at first it didn't work but the next morning everything was back to normal (Ihope). Thanks for the help and yes Derek has finished his house on greenwood lake lake. I've never passed by that way but I'm told it's a beauty!