Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSport; 02 RSX
Hans007, sorry to hear about what happened. Some if not most of us make mistakes we dont want to do. At least u r safe and the tires and wheels can be fixed. Getting tire and wheel insurance would have been nice but we all have our reasons to or not to get it. Good luck with the car insurance claim.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg (Adaptive M Susp, Var Sport Steering), Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
19K mi Apr14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
being an idiot , i ran over some sort of short curb with my car on xmas eve after my family's xmas party.

actually scraped up the underside of my m-sport bumper (though its only on the bottom, so i guess you'll never see it unless you get down on the ground and look) so thats not my biggest concern.

but i blew out my front left tire with only 900 miles on it. i'm figuring i only have to replace the one tire for tread wear reasons at least

anyway its a bridgestone s001 . Given i have work tommorrow and work near a BMW dealer, do they usually have these in stock? its a pretty new tire... so im thinking maybe not (and it costs $300 on tirerack sigh). if they dont have it, do they give loaners or do you have to rent one?

Also i have to say runflat tires are kind of awesome. i had to drive home so i just drove 20 miles or so on it. its obviously jittery etc, but it will get you there at 45-50mph. now i could have changed out a dummy spare but still saving you from that is kind of nice, plus it did deflate in a very controlled manner.
Perfect excuse to get rid of the other three funflats. Dont jump over any curbs next time.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Perfect excuse to get rid of the other three funflats. Dont jump over any curbs next time.

well i actually replaced 2 of them, but it looks like insurance is paying. i'd already decided i wasnt going to get runflats once they actually wear out.

was actually back down to visit a friend from high school and drove to the place it happened just to see exactly what it was. and i honestly feel less bad about it now because it seems like it would be really easy to end up running over it because of the way the road was setup there. i might even have to write a letter to the city.

my friend pointed out that on google maps the little island had tons of tread marks on it and concrete was all worn down from cars running it over. kind of makes you think about how strong these rims really are. the front edge of that island was maybe the height of most speed bumps, probably under 3". we were talking about it later, and figured in most cars you probably dont damage the rims, becuase the profile of the rims would be higher, and also in BMWs case the stiffer runflat sidewalls also transmit more force into the rim than a normal tire. doesnt make me wish i was driving a camry on 16" 55 profile normal tires , but i'm figuring that would have made it unscathed.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Those M-sport low profile tires certainly doesnt help.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I have to ask, did you not have your lights on? You mentioned that the traffic light was the only light source.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I have to ask, did you not have your lights on? You mentioned that the traffic light was the only light source.
I did have my lights on. It is really hard to see . Even this time with street lamps on and other cars around, from inside a car given how low it is its not that easy to see
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I also buckled my rim over pothole.... took it to wheel rpair shop 1 hour agao, it cannot be repaired (225M 19 inch rear) now I have to search for a second hand rear

bugger
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

got a call this morning my rear wheels were in. actually was awakened by the call. somewhat disoriented i said i'd be over right away before work and was thinking, wait wheels for what car. yes i hadn't driven my BMW in 3 weeks. but i finally drove the 2 blocks to the tire place in my car, got my wheels installed and drove to work.

its funny i got to this point where i had been driving a borrowed scion TC and got really used to it. and honestly i'm not one of those people where the stuff i own really defines me so i didn't feel like i was missing it too much, in the end its just a car. but when i finally got to really drive my car for the first time since christmas day, well i was smiling haha. the TC actually drives pretty well for a FWD car, and it got me where i was going, but the 328 is just better and i was glad to be driving the car i paid for again.

took a pic at my work garage just because.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24765254_n.jpg

now to figure out what to do with 4 bent rims.

Last edited by hans007; 01-22-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i MSport
Quote:
now to figure out what to do with 4 bent rims.
End tables? Maybe cut the wheel diagonally rear to front and mount on the wall. It'll look like the wheel is coming out of the wall. Maybe cut off everything but the front of the wheel and hang it on the wall....better yet make a ceiling fan base out of it!

I've got a set of NIB e46 BMW Performance cross drilled rotors FS if you want to throw those in the mix :P
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
1. Would tire & rim insurance actually cover this type of incident?

90 cents a lb on scape alloy rims...

http://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-pr...-scraps/13/1/1
http://www.ehow.com/how_6346183_sell...ims-scrap.html
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
what abou the msport nose scrape? I have an e90 msprt that keeps getting scraped on my driveway transition from the street. I want to have it fixed but know my driveway will do it again. I have considered getting 1/2" taller tires hoping a little bit more height would cure my ills.

Sorry for the hijack. Just wondering since insurance is involved if you are getting your nose fixed too.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
what abou the msport nose scrape? I have an e90 msprt that keeps getting scraped on my driveway transition from the street. I want to have it fixed but know my driveway will do it again. I have considered getting 1/2" taller tires hoping a little bit more height would cure my ills.

Sorry for the hijack. Just wondering since insurance is involved if you are getting your nose fixed too.

i didnt bother, like on mine its on the underside of the bumper and its one of those things where... i'd rather not get it repainted now, knowing itll probably scrape somethign next week and its just a hassle driving the car out to some shop to have them take the bumper off and potentially screw up the rest of the paint or not connect the PDC sensors back etc.

i will probably eventually get the whole thing repainted in a few years as it is.

the thing with my insurance claim is an insurance claim agent never even came to look at my car since i just sent him reciepts from the tire shops since i said nothing on the car was damaged other than wheels. had i claimed i needed my bumper repainted (and it was already scraped even before i hit the curb in another area) it would have been an even bigger hassle.

i guess my advice to you is to just get used to scraping it. its gonna happen. you have to just think of your front bumper as that thing you for sure will end up getting repainted / repaired once say a tire tread or a block of wood or something hits it on the freeway along with all the scrapes from parking. its just a part of owning a car that is lower like this.

or you can do what my dad said if you hate getting scrapes... buy an X3 like he did.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
given all that , and having had anything remotely happen like this before . make you almost want to buy tire and wheel insurance. almost.
Would tire and wheel insurance have covered something like this?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
When I had my e90, I hit a pot hole doing 65 on i95 in Wilmington, DE. The RFTs worked as advertised. I'm pretty sure I would have had a complete blow out with normal tires, and that could have been real ugly. (i.e, multi car accident)

Not only did I not have a blow out, but I was able to get home ok.

Anyway, I still had to replace the tire the next day, and I lucked out. My local dealer had them in stock. I forget what the cost was, because it was a while ago, and no, I never bought that insurance they offer you.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Would tire and wheel insurance have covered something like this?
honestly i have no idea. i'd figure it covers potholes and stuff, but i suppose running over what basically was a sidewalk might be slightly different.

anyway, here are some pics i took of the rims. you can see they are pretty f'd up.

http://imgur.com/a/L00gl