Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Hahaha.

Earlier in the thread I said my friends and GF kept saying/joking(?) "don't get a BMW, you'll turn into a d-bag".... I can't believe it, but the force is strong on this one.... I've been driving like a d-bag....

HELP!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I can't believe it, but the force is strong on this one.... I've been driving like a d-bag....

HELP!
LOL

-Corey
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Dark Knight

I have another curiosity that spawned.

I was under the impression that Black Panel Display came only on cars with Technology Package, i.e HUD & Black Panel Display (the one that is all black when off and then digitally appears in the exact classic BMW gauge cluster style) are bunched together. Is that the case of was Black Panel Display ever made standard?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
I have another curiosity that spawned.

I was under the impression that Black Panel Display came only on cars with Technology Package, i.e HUD & Black Panel Display (the one that is all black when off and then digitally appears in the exact classic BMW gauge cluster style) are bunched together. Is that the case of was Black Panel Display ever made standard?
its part of the tech package - its called extended controls.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Dark Knight

Ahh, so that's what that is.

Sweet. Was hoping that it was still kind of a "special" option.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Its a safety feature, you cannot roll the car with the doors open.
Maybe someone already answered this later, I didn't read every reply. If the driver seat belt is buckled, you CAN roll the car in gear with the door open. It's when the door is opened AND seat belt unbuckled that it will not roll.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Maybe someone already answered this later, I didn't read every reply. If the driver seat belt is buckled, you CAN roll the car in gear with the door open. It's when the door is opened AND seat belt unbuckled that it will not roll.
Thanks for that info, I did not know that
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 CLS 550 4Matic
Quote:
I agree. The F10 is as timeless as it gets while the E-Class has more initial popping smoke, which essentially is a bad ingredient for aging. When M-B did such an extensive facelift to their own design, it kind of hurt the "W212 enthusiast" in me as it clearly looks like M-B designers didn't even stand behind their own work.

That's my big issue.... "sideways". It isn't like I'm replacing an old body with a new one either as the F10 is just 1 year newer of a body style.

It might sound vain, which I really am not.... except for maybe a bit with cars , but I'd hate to spend this extra cash as the F10 is considerably more expensive than the E-Class, and after the newness wears off, feel like I just moved "sideways". My girlfriend based on pics is already giving me grief via "why would you spend more money on that, it doesn't even look better than your car at all"? Though, in person as you need to really see the F10 in to appreciate the nice detailing, I assume it would give her a stronger argument. When she sits in and drives in it though, I know she'll realize just how much of an upgrade it is.

Though, technically speaking, there's no sideways involved. This $63+K 535i I'm looking is vastly more modernized in tech and drivetrain, much more optioned, and of course has a much more robust HP/TQ ratio (especially considering the N55 is underrated).

The BMW community is VASTLY superior to the M-B community though. There's a lot of passion and knowledge in the cars, the Forums have great dealer support ("Ask A Dealer", etc.) and names behind them to really help us find the right car and deals, etc. I've always said this, but M-B's clientele and overall approach is very "clinical" in comparison, right down to the Forums. More people just in it for the badge and to get some "wheels and a drop" as opposed to truly appreciating and understanding the brand and its heritage.
K-A have you been smoking the drapes again?

13 Mercedes E350 Coupe 4 Matic

13 Porsche 991S Cab PDK
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
K-A have you been smoking the drapes again?
If "smoking the drapes" means "you're spot on", then sure.

.... And some new pics. That spoiler can't get here fast enough to add that little extra touch to the rear. The F10 has always had one of my favorite butts but I think the subtle spoiler will just throw it over the top.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
K-A what percent tint do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Dark Knight

I think it's 5% on the backs and second highest up (15-20%?) on the front two. I just ask them to give me the darkest on the backs and second darkest on the fronts.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor
He said they drive *like* d-bags. He did not say they were actually d-bags.

I will admit to driving like a d-bag. At least my wife tells me I do.

-Corey
I will admit to both...
lol, I can vouch for him. He's the big D.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Dark Knight

New pic with the spoiler. The car is literally COVERED in dirt. This black upkeep thing is gonna keep me on my toes for sure.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 AM

Now all you need is rear window spoiler to match
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Mr Real Estate

Quote:
New pic with the spoiler. The car is literally COVERED in dirt. This black upkeep thing is gonna keep me on my toes for sure.

OK I've seen that before online. That's a little more aggressive compared to the actual M5 spoiler. Do you like it? Would love to see a side shot. Curious how much it sticks out and up. Would you say its not as subtle as the w212 spoiler?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
OK I've seen that before online. That's a little more aggressive compared to the actual M5 spoiler. Do you like it? Would love to see a side shot. Curious how much it sticks out and up. Would you say its not as subtle as the w212 spoiler?

Actually I'm happy to say that I LOVE the way it looks. I was afraid that it would look too aggressive, but I welcome the slight added aggressiveness from the M5 spoiler as IMO it doesn't go too far to the point of de-classing the look of the car (what I was initially hesitant about).

However, I think part of the reason the effect isn't too over the top is because the car is black, on lighter cars maybe it'd look too noticeable?

Only issues I have are one side of it came heavily swirled which you can see only in direct sunlight. Also, they made it so that I had to apply the adhesive they provided myself to the spoiler, therefore never doing it before, I didn't take into consideration not to get the adhesive too close to the edges so it wouldn't poke out from under the spoiler. Now, in some areas if you look closely you can see the adhesive kind of peeking out from where the bottom of the spoiler meets the trunk. It's been pissing me off but it's very hard to notice, especially since in most lights the spoiler has an effect where it shades the area directly under it. Also, they're sending me new adhesive in case I want to re-do everything.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Mr Real Estate

Quote:
Actually I'm happy to say that I LOVE the way it looks. I was afraid that it would look too aggressive, but I welcome the slight added aggressiveness from the M5 spoiler as IMO it doesn't go too far to the point of de-classing the look of the car (what I was initially hesitant about).

However, I think part of the reason the effect isn't too over the top is because the car is black, on lighter cars maybe it'd look too noticeable?

Only issues I have are one side of it came heavily swirled which you can see only in direct sunlight. Also, they made it so that I had to apply the adhesive they provided myself to the spoiler, therefore never doing it before, I didn't take into consideration not to get the adhesive too close to the edges so it wouldn't poke out from under the spoiler. Now, in some areas if you look closely you can see the adhesive kind of peeking out from where the bottom of the spoiler meets the trunk. It's been pissing me off but it's very hard to notice, especially since in most lights the spoiler has an effect where it shades the area directly under it. Also, they're sending me new adhesive in case I want to re-do everything.
Ahh we were spoiled, the W212's came with the tape already on the spoiler. You may want to take a black permanent market lol and color the tape that sticks out.

Would love to see a few more shots from different angles especially side angel if you have the time.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Ahh we were spoiled, the W212's came with the tape already on the spoiler. You may want to take a black permanent market lol and color the tape that sticks out.

Would love to see a few more shots from different angles especially side angel if you have the time.
HAHAHA. I like the way you think my man.

Since you said it, I will open up....

.... I have already done the "permanent market mod". I have it in my trunk for whenever a "touchup" is necessary.

Problem is while trying to initially "push the tape in" I ended up giving tiny little scratches to the very top of the trunk (right under the spoiler). Of course, it's probably the most impossible section to see on my car now, but it sure annoys the hell out of me. I decided to leave it be, and color in the more exposed portions of the white tape when it becomes too noticeable. If I really want to tackle it, I can just put some touch up paint over it and you'd never really notice it unless you really looked for it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2011 335 and 2013 535
You can use a hair dryer and remove and replace the trunk spoilers. 3M adhesive tape is easily found on Ebay/Amzn. "Swirls" can be removed with a proper buffer/compound/glaze/polish routine.

2013 F10 535i M-Sport (Sophisto Grau, 6-speed MT, M5 Grille/Trunk Lip)*for sale*
2011 E90 335 Sport (Jet Black, Performance Edition) *new commuter/flogmobile, whoa what is this NAV thing?*
2002 E46 330i Sport (Jet Black, 5-speed MT, H&R/Koni Sports, Meyle HD Control Arms, Powerflex FCAB's, Hotchkis sways...and more)*sold*
..lots of former cars

Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Dark Knight

Yeah I might try that. I just hate to rip this thing off already. I guess I'll see just how much that "peeking tape" annoys me after I stop paying such close/obsessive attention to it.

Here's a sorta-rear side profile DieselNY. The picture is jacked up with the lighting. I'm gonna get more when I wash the car.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM

A sharpie on a $70000 car, my lord
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
A sharpie on a $70000 car, my lord
In a body shop they call that special hand detailed touch up and charge you $100 per hour.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
In a body shop they call that special hand detailed touch up and charge you $100 per hour.

When trying to rationalize with myself I convinced myself that sharpie-ing that imperfection officially means I've marked my territory on the car.... Yes I might drive a $65K car, but dammit it doesn't change me!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

When trying to rationalize with myself I convinced myself that sharpie-ing that imperfection officially means I've marked my territory on the car.... Yes I might drive a $65K car, but dammit it doesn't change me!

That's is a great response.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
That's is a great response.

On a side note. Here's the funny thing about "flame surfacing". The F10 comes off so clean and all that you wouldn't really think it, but there's a lot of complex sheetmetal curvature going on there.

Case in point: Tonight I did one of my routine "door ding checks". Saw a funny "ripple motion" right behind my drivers door (at the very beginning of the passenger door, toward the top just under the strong character line).... got fumed that it was a "ding", and then rushed to the other side of the car to see how it looked on that side....

.... low and behold, they carefully "bend" the sheetmetal very subtly in that area so the doors can align (obviously). If you look too closely, you might think it's a very tiny, very hard to see unless under specific lighting, "ding".