Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5 4.4i
Anyone have their leather seats repaired? Is this how it's supposed to look?

This past Friday, I had a company come out to repair and redye my two front leather seats on my x5. I am not usually one to complain (which I haven't yet...just to my husband...) but just wonder if this is how a crack is supposed to look after being repaired. Everything else on the seats came out nice, but just thought maybe the crack should have been sanded more and blended in to look right instead of how it looks. Basically I want to know if this was your seat, would you be happy with how it came out? I am showing a before picture, and an upclose after picture. The crack is/was on the drivers seat where your lower back would be. The upclose shows how it looks after being repaired. Also above the crack, you can see brush marks (like if you painted a wall and had brush marks in the paint when it dried). I am just wondering if this is how it's supposed to look. It cost me $300 so just wanted anyones opinion that has had this done (or even if you haven't....would you be satisfied?)

I am not going to trash talk the guys company b/c he was so nice and overall it does look better, I am not that person that nit picks..... just thought for $300, the crack should have been sanded and blended in a bit better....and want to know what others think about it...

Photos show seat before repair, then after pair (excuse the shadow) and then an upclose of same repair.

Thanks and have a great Labor Day Weekend!!!

AprilClick image for larger version

Name:	bmw seat before repair.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	575073

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw seat up close crack repair.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	575074

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw seat after repair.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	575075
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapril4200 View Post
This past Friday, I had a company come out to repair and redye my two front leather seats on my x5. I am not usually one to complain (which I haven't yet...just to my husband...) but just wonder if this is how a crack is supposed to look after being repaired. Everything else on the seats came out nice, but just thought maybe the crack should have been sanded more and blended in to look right instead of how it looks. Basically I want to know if this was your seat, would you be happy with how it came out? I am showing a before picture, and an upclose after picture. The crack is/was on the drivers seat where your lower back would be. The upclose shows how it looks after being repaired. Also above the crack, you can see brush marks (like if you painted a wall and had brush marks in the paint when it dried). I am just wondering if this is how it's supposed to look. It cost me $300 so just wanted anyones opinion that has had this done (or even if you haven't....would you be satisfied?)

I am not going to trash talk the guys company b/c he was so nice and overall it does look better, I am not that person that nit picks..... just thought for $300, the crack should have been sanded and blended in a bit better....and want to know what others think about it...

Photos show seat before repair, then after pair (excuse the shadow) and then an upclose of same repair.

Thanks and have a great Labor Day Weekend!!!

AprilAttachment 575073

Attachment 575074

Attachment 575075
Have you asked the guy that did the work why it is still so prominent? That said, given the condition of the seats prior to the repairs, I'm amazed they look as good as they do.

Last edited by Fifty150hs; 09-04-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
yea i see your point
after spending your hard earned dollars you want to be happy and more over done with the thing you spent on... so you can move on to something else.
this is why i do so much of my own as best as i can... then outcome is on me.

you can check out car part for x5 seats i see 150 in grade A condition DC area.
or
you can check out some youtubes to see if you think you could handle re doing the seal over... the hole has been filled so...

SEM is good for the dying process
i used it in my lexus that had tan / yellowing interior and turned it ALL black
looked and smelled like new for 60 bucks
Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5 4.4i
I may have jumped the gun in being critical. Since I've let the car sit for the last 3 days, alot of the things I was worried about I now don't see. Maybe the paint was still wet. Although that crack repair still isn't perfect, overall, it def. looks way better compared to what it looked like before. The guy was nice and I'm ok with saying maybe I shouldn't have been so critical, but also had I been told once it dried it would look better, I may not have stressed so much. I would give the company a good review overall

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search