Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5 3.0i
ELECTRICAL GREMLINS! Please Help!

I'm having electrical gremlins reeking havoc on my 2002 BMW X5 3.0. I will get right to the point, I have some kind of mysterious battery drain. In the middle of the night my brake lights will start flashing & everything from the radio turning on, steering wheel adjusting, if heater/AC are left on when I turn car off will all be on. Dashboard (instrument cluster) on/flashing. All this is happening with "NO KEY" in the ignition. I had battery & altenator tested both were good but the problem does drain my battery sometimes just overnight. I would like to know if anyone has had any similar problems or have any ideas of what could be causing this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jimjax; 02-14-2015 at 06:01 AM. Reason: New information
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2015, 05:59 AM

I just found that car is not going to sleep, sat in my girls for 25 mins & found windows will go up & down with no key in it, radio can be turned on as well. Maybe with that additional information someone might be able to help me figure this out. Too many different things going on to know wich way to go on this. I do believe that the 2002 x5's radios are able to turn on without the key but not the windows.

Last edited by Jimjax; 02-14-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 AM

I've pulled a combination of fuses that is causing the battery drain the #5 fuse=engine control/diagnosis plug & the #61 fuse= main fan. It's seems to be the combination of the two. Any ideas of what's wrong at this point? I'm still researching what the combination is controlling & has turning on without the key. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Problem solved! A faulty ignition switch. I had my altenator & battery being checked when the mechanic said that he heard a fan turn on I pulled all the fuses for the fans then I heard it but I realized it was the starter trying to initiate just the winding noise not a crank. So pulled the fuse associated with it & problem stopped. I replaced the ignition switch today and all is good. So a faulty ignition switch can cause other problems other then not starting. These problems can range from electrical problems while car is running to the problems that I experienced while no key in the ignition.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
So, how big of a job was it to change the ignition switch. I'm having similar problems with gremlins. Thanks for the post!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM

It didn't take long at all. Here's a link for a YouTube video that will show you step by step.
Remember to pass it on to the next guy.