Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: '05 X3
New X3 owner

Hi guyz! My name is Jeremy and i'm a french canadian that lives in the province of Québec and tries his best with english hehe. Happy to join your community, i purchased an '05 X3 with the 3.0 monday, black on black. Not my first german i already own a '98 audi a4. Love the bmw so far it handles great and really comfy. I have some little questions tho. First the sunroof ; when i try to close the lining completely it will close but always leave an inch opened where i can see outside is this normal? Ill try to post a pic tommorow if you dont understand me hehe. Second theres a lock bolt to secure my wheels but ive searched all over the car for the tool to remove it and cant find it. seems OEM i dont know if the lock is unique and only works with one tool or universal.. And third the heated seats doesnt seem to work is it a common problem..? Thats it so far heres a pic of it !

Last edited by X3F3V3R; 03-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Welcome!!!

1) Your inner sunroof shade should close completely. I would check the guide rails to make sure there is no obstruction (ie a loonie or a toonie in the way....sorry couldn't resist...)

2) You should have a wheel lock key. It looks like a socket that fits inside the star of the wheel lock. You might have to take a trip to the dealer for a new one. I always kept mine in the trunk by the jack with the four original lug nuts removed for the wheel lock lug nuts.

3) Check fuse panel in the glove box. I bet you have a blown fuse for the heated seats. The fuse box is at the top if the glove box. There are two white tabs and the fuse panel drops down. There should be a white fuse list so you can find the one for the seats.

Last edited by x3brian; 03-13-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 AM

I'll check the fuse for sure. For the wheel lock key do you think i can get one online? Cause the only dealer around is like a 7 hours drive from home hehe. Another thing is that the used car dealer i bought it from only had one key so if i lose this one i'm screwed. What are my options for this? Only dealership?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Do you really need wheel locks up there? I suppose there is a case for having your wheels secure -- but if they want the wheels they will get them. Locks only really discourage the casual thief (like "the club") who then is likely to smash your windows just to show you how pissed off they were. Good luck with the heat seater fuse. I hope that is the problem -- there are also problems with the heating element in the pad itself failing -- and on the other hand -- getting too hot and burning your butt. The sunroof in these cars has been problematic with many failures reported and it is serious money to replace the assembly (about $3K USD). Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Finally found the key it was way back in the glovebox under some stuff. I tried my sunroof today the lining will close until that one inch an if i press the button to tilt the sunroof it will close completely and the sunroof will tilt so there nothing in the way..
Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Try resetting the roof by pushing and holding the tilt button, and letting it run through its full cycle once. Usually the cycle initiates after 10-20 seconds.

Once it's relearned it's route it may work properly.

BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter
Old 03-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Alright thank you ill give it a try!!