Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: x5 e53
lower bump mesh

why is the bumper grill mesh made of cheap plastic, changed the upper one due to it being damaged not to difficult but expensive for a bit of cheap plastic. now the lower left and right hand side is damaged looks a bit more difficult to replace, any one under took this replacement ?: any tips x5 e53 2006

Last edited by Thornton1968; 01-04-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: missed a bit of info
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
I was browned off buying an expensive car and finding a lot of the body exterior made of plastic, but there are three reasons why plastic is used:

1. Safer on impact during collisions. Other parts of the car absorb the impact. If you hit a pedestrian, bodily damage will be less significant in minor collisions.
2. Cheaper and easier to replace and manufacture.
3. Lighter.

Removing the front fender to replace grills is of course possible at home, but you need the car jacked for easy access to the screws which hold the plastic parts in place, and the right tools. I have a Bentley Publishers X5 e53 manual for my car. Recommended. It will show you how to remove and replace everything on the x5, including even buttons on the instrument cluster. Removing front grill is too complex to explain in words and would be better served with the aid of pictures, which manuals do provide.