Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 11' Volvo S40 R-Design
New member/possible new owner questions

Hello All,

I am new to the website and very close to purchasing a 2010 M3 from a dealership on the East coast. I have a question about the reliability of the vehicle. Should I expect a lot of maintenance costs for the vehicle? I've been researching 08's and 09's just for reference and I have noticed that most have low miles (50-60k). I understand that BMW's are notorious for causing problems and are expensive to maintain. I can afford the maintenance but would just like a heads up from current owners. Any information would be valuable. Thank you in advance.

-vmi11
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
1. Get a PPI from a reputable independent BMW shop
2. Maintenance is not cheap, plugs every 37k (if you don't do yourself, is $$$), fluid changes (brake yearly, diff every other year, transmission)
3. Around 60-80k shocks/struts/bushings will most likely need replacing (I'm told EDC lasts longer, who knows)
4. Around 60k you should be changing the coolant (I usually replace hoses/radiator/belts/pump)

Others can chime in, but BMWs require maintenance above and beyond because they perform above and beyond.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
1. Get a PPI from a reputable independent BMW shop
2. Maintenance is not cheap, plugs every 37k (if you don't do yourself, is $$$), fluid changes (brake yearly, diff every other year, transmission)
3. Around 60-80k shocks/struts/bushings will most likely need replacing (I'm told EDC lasts longer, who knows)
4. Around 60k you should be changing the coolant (I usually replace hoses/radiator/belts/pump)

Others can chime in, but BMWs require maintenance above and beyond because they perform above and beyond.
+1

Anything from BMW beginning with "M" is going to be more expensive in the maintenance and repair department. I wouldn't hurt to buy a vehicle under the factory warranty (whether standard or CPO/extended).

With the above stated, the M3 has proven to be a very reliable vehicle. Better than the everyday FI powertrains. Schedule a time for an independent shop (referred to as Indy) to run a complete inspection. They only concern might be excessive track use.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to post any further questions.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the information so far. I'm mainly concerned about random stuff breaking that would cost an arm and a leg because it is a BMW. Like a window that stops working, etc. Have any of you had to make any repairs like that? The M3 I am looking it is a 2010 w/ 24k miles, so still under warranty.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
I guess that it is possible but there is no known history since the current design has been out (starting MY08). The miles are low enough. If you're concerned, prior to the factory warranty ending, buy a BMW extended warranty. This can be purchased from any dealer. Look at some of the board sponsors as I believe they offer a good discount.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Hi. Welcome.

From what I've seen around the forums, these cars are pretty reliable for a bimmer with respect to catastrophic failures.

A common problem seems to be the idle control valve. Mine was done under warranty (2009). I saw a recent write up on it in a different forum on another car with a $3,894 total bill, parts and labor at the dealer (covered by his extended warranty for the deductible). This was for the Idle strips, idle control valve, tubing, three clamps, and fuel pump control unit,

So under warranty is good, an extended warranty is a good option, and be prepared for some maintenance above "normal".

That being said it is very hard to describe the driving experience. Lot of fun.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I don't have an M3, but have owned a number of BMW's. I wouldn't go so far as to say "notorious" for problems. My BMW's have always been great cars for me and not much in repairs outside of normal wear and tear. Of course, I maintain my cars well also. I'm not claiming BMW's are cheaper on parts/labor of course.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Will be seriously contemplating purchasing the M3.