Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Exclamation Battery submerged in water

Every year there are heavy rains my battery compartment gets flooded with water. The first 2 years this happened I took it to my moms friend who is familiar with BMW's but he obviously didn't fix the source of the problem. I called my favorite service writer at Stevens Creek BMW and knew right off the top of her head that it was probably the sunroof drain either clogged or broken causing the water to pool there.

My question is should I go to my moms friend who charges usually $300 to $500 which I can afford or gamble and take it to the dealership which I might not be able to afford?
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Not another blue puddle!

Mein Auto: 550i
On my E39 there were drains located on both the front and back of the sunroof rails. I assume the E60 is pretty similar, but I haven't checked mine out to know for sure. I used about 10 feet of heavier duty weed wacker line to unclog the blockage (leaf and dirt debris). The front were pretty easy to get the line into, but the back took a flashlight and extra effort to get the line into the drain. Eventually you could hear the line hitting the plastic molding on the inside of my front fenders and rear quarter panels, which means the blockage was cleared. However, if your sunroof seal is bad you should probably replace that too because even if the drains are unclogged they can't handle all the water caused by a leaky seal. On the E39 the water would drip into the front A pillars and rear C pillars. If it's only dripping in the battery compartment there may be a crack or issue with the drain line. From what I remember the line ran through the battery compartment.

If you ask me it actually sounds like the trunk weather stripping is bad, but without seeing it I couldn't tell you.

Long story short, regardless of who you take it to, you should look at it yourself to see if there are any glaring issues like a cracked drain line in the battery area. Then you can figure out the best person to take it to.

2008 550i Sport
Space Gray Metallic

2001 540i6 - Deceased
Topaz Metallic Blue
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
if u have water in the battery compartment. check under the spare tire. make sure there is no water in there.. and relocate the electrical parts . like as soon as possible to avoid a much larger problem like frying ur electrical componants..and cost several thousands to repair I just moved mine last weekend into the side trunk panels.. cant urge u enough to get done A.S.A.P
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
if u have water in the battery compartment. check under the spare tire. make sure there is no water in there.. and relocate the electrical parts . like as soon as possible to avoid a much larger problem like frying ur electrical componants..and cost several thousands to repair I just moved mine last weekend into the side trunk panels.. cant urge u enough to get done A.S.A.P
I second that. I am considering moving them into the panels myself. How hard was it?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Piece of cake, really easy
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Also make sure that its not leaking through your right taillight. Mine would get a pretty decent amount of water into the battery compartment every time it rained. It was the taillight (seal, gasket, weather strip) whatever it's called.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
I know this is a very old post but I thought I would still put the solution out there: water in the battery compartment in my 2007 5 series.. what I found is: open the truck of your vehicle and pour water down the back windshield on the right side nearest the battery. The water drains down the window then it follows the track around the trunk, down between an opening behind the taillight and out of opening in the bottom of the bumper.. The problem is as it drains through the opening near the taillight is splashes and when that happens the droplets find there way to the vent that located on the inner wall where the battery is located and it leaks through the open spaces around the vent.

SOLUTION:

1. REMOVE THE VENT
2. USE A SOME TYPE OF SILICONE AND RUN A BEAD OF SILICONE AROUND THE TRIM OF THE VENT .
3. REINSTALL THE VENT

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!