Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 650i convertible
Transmission question..

Hello folks..

So after a month in my 08 6er, I have loved every minute of it. It is truly a well rounded car and so beautiful - for me!

But..

The one thing I have noticed is when I shift it (specially from R -> D or from D -> R), there is a very noticeable "jerk" and if my door is open, I can here some sort of grinding noise (for a second or so) followed by a "knock". It is almost as if I can hear the transmission shifting and then locking in place with a knock. I told my dealership about this and their response was that this is probably normal but they will look at it when it is in next.

In the meanwhile..

I performed the transmission "reset" (by pressing on the gas pedal routine)..

And..

In the lest few days, I have noticed that when cruising at 2k - 3k RPM at 30-40 MPH and then suddenly pressing on the gas pedal to accelerate, I feel a very noticeable "jerk".. it is like the transmission is almost hesitant to go from the lower to the higher gear.. it is a very split second jerk and only happens at lower gears (2nd or 3rd I think).

I am glad it is under CPO and I dropped it off at the dealer today. I was told while there that not "all" things transmission fall under CPO and it depends on the root cause (which came as surprise to me as I thought CPO was pretty solid when it came to mechanical failures - I understand it doesn't cover iDrive, all electornics and wear and tear like hoses etc.).

While I am waiting, wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar..

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
The noises don't sound good. Hope it's low on fluid and they top it off.

But these cars do have rough shifts at times when all is normal. It took me a few months of getting used to the car before I could drive it really smooth all the time. Second and third gears seem to be the worst, especially in sport mode.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
hi! Many owners of these cars do not get any software upgrades once they are out of warranty, there are good reason's for this as often explained by BMW service departments. However there is a software update which fixes clunky gear shifts, but it is part of an overall software update. There are some threads on the issue.
when I had my 6 I did have the software updated to the latest revision at the time, and took the risk that no other issues would pop up as a result.
Fair to say everything went well and the car did change after the updates, but importantly no more clunky gear changes!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
hi! Many owners of these cars do not get any software upgrades once they are out of warranty, there are good reason's for this as often explained by BMW service departments. However there is a software update which fixes clunky gear shifts, but it is part of an overall software update. There are some threads on the issue.
when I had my 6 I did have the software updated to the latest revision at the time, and took the risk that no other issues would pop up as a result.
Fair to say everything went well and the car did change after the updates, but importantly no more clunky gear changes!!!!!
Sweet! Tell them to hit your software while they have it.
HUD, Comfort Access