Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
pconwell

Mein Auto: 2004 330 ci
(WIP) INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, WINKFP, & EasyDis

***WORK IN PROGRESS***

Intro

I'm setting up my laptop to run INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, & WINKFP. It's a multi step process, so I'm going to update as I go.

This information is probably out there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything specifically for the E46 - most of the info I found was for the E39 or the E90.

Base system setup:
  • Windows XP 32bit - 64bit might not work with some of the tools
  • This cable (you will need to know how to solder)

I'm running Windows XP 32bit on a Dell N5040 (well, technically on Virtualbox, but that's not important here) with 1gb ram, a 10gb harddrive and a 2.5gh i3 processor. Really, pretty much any computer that is halfway modern and has a USB port should work. I'm not 100% sure because I didn't test it, but supposedly some of the tools do not work on 64bit windows and/or some of the new versions of windows, so if you have a choice, run 32bit Windows XP.

The full install for me was less than 2 gb (I didn't really check the before/after size, but it seems like all the files are only about 1gb). The instructions I saw said 40 gb, but I'm guessing that was a typo.

Various coding software and what it does:

This DIY will cover:
Ediabas - database server application with all needed car information for various apps.
INPA - reading status of your car, reading and deleting error-memory
NCS Expert - carcoding, changing VehicleOrder/FahrAuftrag (VO/FA)
NCSDummy - extracing information out of NCSExpert files to understand more easily

And I will NOT cover:
DIS/GT1 - everything the above tools do, but this one is a GUI - PITA to install with no real benefit
Progman - coding and programming your car, GUI based - PITA to install as well, and pretty much does the same stuff as above. Again, no real benefit to outweigh PITA install
data2txt / data2tbl - tools to convert hex NETTODAT files to readable text versions
WinKfP - flashing / updating your ECU/SG
Tool32 - special ECU/SG *.prg tool

DIS/GT1 & Progman take up a *LOT* of space, are a pain to install, and don't really add much benefit. They *do* make the programs easier to use, but with a little time and patience, you can do everything you need to do without going through the massive pain of installing them.

WinKfp and Tool32 are easy enough to install (if you follow the directions below, you will actually install them while installing the other software You can install them when you install EDIABAS, etc below - see the struck out sections), I just won't be going over how to use them.

1st - Make (or buy) a K-line ODBII to USB Cable
  1. Order this cable from Amazon - ($7) - Will probably take 2-3 weeks for delivery from China. Just got an email from Amazon and they said the cable should be here within 5 days (not 2-3 weeks).
  2. Solder some pins together from this page. I'll post some photos when mine comes in and I hack mine up.

K-line *should* work for all E46, but from 2007 till present BMW has been using CAN. If you want to work on multiple models, you may need to find/make multiple cables.

2nd - Install INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, WINKFP
  1. Download this file (346MB)
  2. Extract archive to desktop
  3. Go to /referenz/INSTALL/ and click on Instprog.exe
  4. Select language and click through options till you get to "configuration" page
  5. Select "BMW Group Recertification Programs USA"
  6. Click the "complete" checkboxes for EDIABAS, INAP, NCS Expert, and NSF WINKFP and hit continue
  7. Select ODB for interface
  8. Click continue until you get through to the end. You will probably get an error about PATH
  9. Click START, then right-click 'my computer', properties, advanced, Environmental Variables
  10. Under 'system variables', double click path
  11. Scroll all the way to the end and ADD (do NOT replace anything) " ;C:\EDIABAS\BIN\ " without quotes to the end. Make sure on only add exactly " ;C:\EDIABAS\BIN\ " (without quotes) to the end without changing anything else or you can break your windows.
  12. Go to C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD and run OBDSetup.exe
  13. reboot computer
  14. At this point, you are pretty much done software wise and can start coding your car (if you have the appropriate cable).

3rd - Install NCS Dummy Optional

NCS Dummy takes the 'expert' out of NCS Expert. It doesn't really do anything on it's own, but it basically takes the info from NCS Expert and turns it into a human readable format. It's optional, but you might as well install it because it will make your life easier. (If you are really good with computers and can read German fluently, you can probably get by without this).
  1. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (I couldn't get that link to work, I had to go to update.microsoft.com to install it).
  2. Download NCS Dummy
  3. Extract to your desktop
  4. NCS Dummy is a 'stand alone' app so it doesn't need to be installed, per se. Just open the folder and click on the app to run it.

Look here for more info on how to use NCS Dummy: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553779

4th - Testing setup

Coming soon... (Waiting for my cable to come in from China)

Various sources:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1613244
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553779

Last edited by pconwell; 06-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM
pconwell

***WORK IN PROGRESS***

How to use

THIS IS VERY MUCH A WORK IN PROGRESS BECAUSE I DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE THE CABLE NEED TO TEST THIS. I would highly recommend waiting till my cable comes in and let me test it before you start messing with stuff. Amazon said it would take 2-3 weeks ~5 days to ship my cable from China, so it may be a little while before I can update this... just be patient.

Make sure everything is working correctly above, first. Also, make sure you read through and understand what you are doing BEFORE you attempt to do anything below. You can mess up your car if you are not careful. If you don't know what you are doing, DON'T DO IT.

Before you begin, it will be convenient to make some shortcuts for your desktop. Create shortcuts for the following:
  • C:\INPA\BIN\INPALOAD.exe
  • C:\NCS EXPERT\WORK (<-- this is a folder)
  • C:\NCS EXPERT\BIN\NCSEXPER.exe
  1. First, we will read the data from the car. Plug the ODBII port into your car and the USB to your computer.
  2. Turn the car to position 2 (don't start it)
  3. Go to your desktop and click on IPALOAD (shortcut created earlier)
  4. Both circles should be black (battery = on & ignition = on). If not, double check everything, and make sure your cable is soldered correctly.
  5. Select your chassis (If you are reading this here, I'm assuming you have an E46).
  6. Select "Karosserie" then 'airbag'.
  7. Hit 'F5' to read the status of the airbag. If you don't see any errors, close INPA
  8. Start NCS Expert
  9. Select file -> load profile -> expertmode
  10. then go back to file and select 'edit profile' (password is repxet)
  11. select car-keymemory (may say "Individualisierung") and make sure all three checkboxes are selected. hit okay.
  12. Then go into FSW/PSW and make sure 'from CVT' is selected, and the two checkboxes are selected. hit okay.
  13. Click 'profile info' and change name to FSW PSW MAN. hit okay.
  14. Click 'consistence check'. If there are no error, hit okay.
  15. Go to file -> safe profile as and save it as FZG4.pfl.

This is a rough draft, I will update with more info once I have my cable and I can actually read info from the car.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
WIP notes below: not for general consumption. Must be cleaned up:

*Make sure 'port' is set to com1.

Last edited by pconwell; 07-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
There are several good posts on e46 specific cars. I have done some of this. It is a pain in the ass at points. Good luck

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 PM
pconwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
There are several good posts on e46 specific cars. I have done some of this. It is a pain in the ass at points. Good luck

Any pointers? I'm stuck in limbo for the moment until my OBDII to USB cable comes in. I *think* I have the software installed correctly, but there is no good way to tell without being able to hook up a car.

The biggest pain at the moment is even though I installed it for english, most of the menus, etc are in german. I know a little german, so I can kinda get by, but I don't know most of the technical terms, so it's still kinda hard to decipher.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Well if you have everything installed you will need to wait for the cable. It is too late now but there is a Romanian seller who sells a cable software and instructions which are very helpful.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
pconwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
Well if you have everything installed you will need to wait for the cable. It is too late now but there is a Romanian seller who sells a cable software and instructions which are very helpful.

I did find some 'kits', but they were all $100+. I bought the cable for $7, I just have to solder three pins together once it comes in.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci Coupe ZSP
Just asking, what will this allow one to do to an e46?

I would like to change how my headlights work but don't want to go to the dealer.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM
pconwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMotherWheels View Post
Just asking, what will this allow one to do to an e46?

I would like to change how my headlights work but don't want to go to the dealer.
I'm not 100% sure yet because I haven't gotten it all set up, but IN THEORY, you should be able to to change just about everything - including the headlights. I can't find it now, but I used to have a list of all the things you can set on the key. You can do more stuff with this software, but - for me - the most useful thing is going to be configuring the key memory settings.

For example, you should be able to:

* turn one touch open/close on windows on/off
* turn flash/beep on lock on/off
* have seat adjust automatically on unlock
* etc

(I'll try to find the list of stuff that can be set)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Cool!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
pconwell

Here is a list of some of the settings:
  • Interior protection
  • Tilt Alarm Sensor
  • (Dis)arm by means of...
  • (Dis)arm acknowledgement
  • Remote Control - Interior light
  • Remote Control - Panic mode
  • Remote Control - Convienince mode
  • Interior Lighting
  • Day time driving lights
  • Windshield wipers, rest when idle
  • seat settings
  • Display language
  • Acoustic Warnings
  • One touch open/close
  • rain sensors
  • auto locking after 5mph
  • unlock driver/all doors on unlock
  • seat memory
  • vent positions
  • temperature correction
  • A/C on/off manually/automatically
  • blower on/off
  • enable/disable 'ice' warning
  • reverse 'beep'

This is not a complete list, but it gives you an idea of the settings you can adjust. Additionally, you can run 'advanced' diagnostics (like turn components on and off through the computer - e.g. activate the fan, headlights, various relays, etc; and apply software updates to the car) and read DTS codes. Really, about the only thing you *can't* do (as far as I know) is reprogram the ECU.

Also, you should note that there are settings you can make that the dealer WILL NOT set for you (because they legally cannot for safety reasons). For example, you can set it so you can roll your windows UP with the remote, and set it so your coupe rear windows will close with one touch.

Last edited by pconwell; 06-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Sweet
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci
This thread with the linked cable has all the software and doesn't require soldering.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconwell View Post
This information is probably out there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything specifically for the E46 - most of the info I found was for the E39
This was written for the E39 but the software applies equally well to the E46:
- Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM
pconwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzam View Post
This thread with the linked cable has all the software and doesn't require soldering.
Yes, but why would I pay 5 times as much when I can do it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
This was written for the E39 but the software applies equally well to the E46:
- Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman
That's what I'm actually basing most of this off of. The problem with that post is that it's very convoluted and some of the links are out of date.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci
Quote:
Yes, but why would I pay 5 times as much when I can do it myself?
It is easier for some people and it comes with all the software and step-by-step instructions on how to install it.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
The problem with that post is that it's very convoluted and some of the links are out of date.
I understand.

I tried to make the first post of that thread a complete tutorial (including the software downloads & how-to instructions)- and - I tried to get others to add vignettes of how to use the tool.

But, like almost all BMW diagnostic software threads, it deteriorated into a troubleshooting thread for people who had difficulties setting up the software or using it.

Drat. I hope you do better!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
pconwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I understand.

I tried to make the first post of that thread a complete tutorial (including the software downloads & how-to instructions)- and - I tried to get others to add vignettes of how to use the tool.

But, like almost all BMW diagnostic software threads, it deteriorated into a troubleshooting thread for people who had difficulties setting up the software or using it.

Drat. I hope you do better!
Thanks, and I didn't mean that you (or anyone) did a bad job with any of the other tutorials. Really, this is a way for me to learn. You know the old adage, the best way to learn something is to teach it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 06 M3 Cab
Thumbs up newbie here

Thanks for the tips
I'll be sure to use this when I'm installing all this coding software. I'm making room on the drive right now. I plan to also install dealer-level software as well and I need around 35GB.

Anyway, would you be able to post up a working software link?
DropBox is giving me an error.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
pconwell

Sorry - I gave up on this after I found out that the computer interface (not sure of the exact name) on my car is broken and the dealer wanted 1200$ to fix it.

I don't have the software anymore - sorry. I found them pretty easily by just googling - I don't think you should have much trouble finding what you need.