Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Benz C230K Coupe
Exclamation 2003 X5 won't start unless if I push it?

Hello everyone,

I've looked up on Google, used the forums search engine, other forums search engine, even YouTube and I can't find a solution to this problem and the last option I want to take is to go to the stealership.

My uncle has a 2003 BMW X5 and the car decides whether it feels like starting or not. Such as this morning, the car will attempt to start but won't keep the engine running so this also proved to us that the battery is just fine even though we still gave it a jump and ended up replacing it anyway with a spare we have. The only way to get the car started was by putting the car into Neutral, push the car backwards a little bit, and then when you try to start it again the car will turn on. What could be the cause of this issue? We're guessing it has something to do with the crankshaft sensor but we're not sure. Do you guys agree?

Thanks in advance for your time and help! Happy Holidays!
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E53 4.4i X5
Which engine?
Mileage?
Any faults codes present?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM

3.0 Engine
120,000 Miles
No fault codes present
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: E53 4.4i X5
I assume it is the 3.0 petrol not diesel. I can't see how pushing the car back in neutral can make any change to the starting sequence of an engine.
When you say it won't start do you mean that it turns and turns but doesn't fire but then intermittently it will start no problem?
If it is diesel it is a totally different ball game but if its petrol you need to check your live data, trims, and see if any pending codes are there, not stored codes. It literally could be many things, it may be worth removing and cleaning cam and crank sensors as after 120k they will be very dirty if never replaced from new and will not tell the ecu that you are turning the engine over and trying to start it.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 AM

Yes it is a 3.0 Petrol engine. And yes it cranks the engine but it won't fire at all so the only way we were able to start the car was by giving it a little push. We're going to attempt to remove and clean the cam and crank sensors like you said and we'll give it another shot. So I'm crossing my fingers here! Thanks so much for the help! I'll keep you posted when I get updates about the situation.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Captain WompWomp

Mein Auto: '06 x5
I'm no expert, but I had a similar problem where I had a no start situation with no faults, it would turn over and act as if it wasn't getting spark just recently. I attempted most of the standard troubleshooting steps and didn't find the problem. I went into the dash hidden test menu and did a full reset and everything works fine, I'm sure there is something on it's way out in the electronics, but at least I know it wasn't anything mechanical and it got the guy moving again.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw x5
Can you please tell me how you did the reset. Thank you.

My car has been driving fine. I took it for a 5 minute drive to a meeting. Came back about 30 minutes later. The car started for a few seconds and stopped. Havent been able to start it since. It is still sitting where i had the meeting. When to check on it yesterday, still didnt start. Will try my hand at it - with your suggestions, otherwise get it towed on monday. Any tips are appreciated. BTW, i get no error codes. Thanks in advance! Cheers
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Captain WompWomp

Mein Auto: '06 x5
Sure-

http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/D...0Functions.htm

After you unlock the dash, the last test says "reset".