Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i
Question Engine swap

I have a 1994 325i with suspension completely upgraded lowered and all and swapped LSD's. now I want to do an m3 conversion...i event went as far as to get the bumpers, emblems, and wing...it would be nice if I could find the 3.0 but highly unlikely and I'm not really looking to spend $5000 on just the motor. So I'm mots likely going to have to settle for the 3.2 but the problem is i can't find any m3 motors that are obd1!!! So I gues my question is what am I going to need to complete the m3 conversion. Motor mounts? Obd2 conversion?
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
You can alway get an s52 and convert it to obd1 using the engine harness from your m50 (325 engine)

Not sure if youd need a tune though

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

-Dino
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
yeah, a tune is going to be necesary...it'll run without one, just not like an //M...

df
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: e36 M3
Hey Guys,
I bought a 95 M3 a few months back and it had a bad idle but ran great when driving, I.e... no stalling, great take off. I took it to a BMW independent shop. The tech said it had a 3.2 block and the cam sensor was just hanging there. Did this conversion go wrong? I assume the guy forgot to do something. Not sure if it was converted to OBD2, I havent seen the plug. is there a conversion guide out there?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Step 1. What is the VIN on the chassis?

Step 2. What is the VIN on the block?

Step 3. Skip both of those and just post up pictures of the engine bay. We'll tell you what engine you have in that car in 30 seconds. (Allowing time for someone to actually log on and view the engine pic).

Step 4. Whoa. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM

Please let me know if you'll need me to remove the engine covers? I can't really locate the eng vin.

From what the tech said, it has a 3.0 head and a 3.2 block. So the cam sensor wouldn't fit in causing the idle to be messed up. I think it's causing it to run rich too. I get a really sweet exhaust smell at times, with no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

Thanks again
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Unfortunately your pics aren't showing. Try a site like http://www.tinypic.com.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Ya I guess google + doesn't work! Lets try this again

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM
The Canadian Prick.

It's an S50b30 3.0L engine.

Find a new mechanic.

The S50 has a poorly painted valve cover. The S52b32 3.2L from the '96+ ///M3s has a plastic valve cover.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Additionally, who installed your front suspension struts?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 AM

Hey man thanks for your feedback. Could it be partially true? Just asking because he said it does have the original 3.0 head but a block from a 3.2. Is that even possible?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM
The Canadian Prick.

For that you'd need to get the VIN from the back of the block.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM

I do think this tech could be a bit off! I just saw the cam sensor. It's round with a bolt going through it just under the intake manifold. Does look like someone tightened it too much. It has a small hairline crack on it. But it's plugged in, not hanging like he stated. Unless there's two and I'm missing one?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
The Canadian Prick.

On OBD 2 cars, the crank position sensor is on the rear left of the cylinder block. On OBD 1 it is on the front engine cover.

The Cam position sensor is on the front left of the cylinder head next to the OFH.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavecruzer79 View Post
I do think this tech could be a bit off! I just saw the cam sensor. It's round with a bolt going through it just under the intake manifold. Does look like someone tightened it too much. It has a small hairline crack on it. But it's plugged in, not hanging like he stated. Unless there's two and I'm missing one?
this sounds like a knock sensor....

df
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Okay so after further review I have discovered something. I think there was a loss in translation between the tech and service writer. I can clearly see the cam sensor plugged in behind the VANOS solenoid. I did however find an additional crankshaft sensor on the block drivers rear down by the tranny. It was bolted on but not plugged in. (Picture attached). No sign of a missing plug hanging. I couldn't see if there was also a front sensor under the radiator hose. I assume there has to be or the engine wouldn't run. Maybe my problem is something completely different??? But this idle is weird how it comes and goes. According to the Bentley manual the crank sensor on 92-95 was on the front, 96- obd2 was on the rear. I still can't locate an eng vin. Maybe covered in rust.

Last edited by wavecruzer79; 03-09-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Missing info.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
this sounds like a knock sensor....

df
Ya the original one I thought was the cam sensor turns out to be the knock sensor (got the Bentley manual out).
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Maybe it has an obd2 harness on it? If you look at my previous pictures. My harness looks similar to this one I found on eBay.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM

do you have a crank sensor in the front?? if so, then this could possibly be the reason that it isn't plugged in. it was bypassed to use the obd1 setup. no need to convert to obd2, as that is simply silly....

df
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 318i
It sounds like an s52 maybe with an s50 head but most likely not, not like it would matter much anyway. When you swap to obd1 you need to run a "vr" crank sensor on the front of the crank with a 60/2 toothed wheel, since its got the crank sensor hooked up to the rear section of the block, clearly states that's is an obd2 block, they leave it there to seal it up. The obd2 crank sensor is a hall sensor, which will not operate with obd1.

I converted an m50 to run obd2 using a front mounted hall sensor on the toothed wheel in the from of crank using a sensor from a euro m52
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM

My guess is that it's plugged in at the front under the upper radiator hose or the car wouldn't run. I just hate this erratic idle and weird exhaust smell I get. The more research I do, I'm thinking the idle is the weird "m3 idle" and the smell is the chip the guy put in maybe making it run rich? I hate getting cars that were pieced together.