Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 340i x-drive
2016 US 340i w/ adaptive - coding to Euro spec?

Hey guys, I have a US 340i with adaptive LED headlights. I am seeing conflicting info on whether it is possible to code my car for the euro features such as anti-dazzle.

Is it possible with the hardware I already have?
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
If you have High Beam Assistant (5AC), it should be possible to code your car for anti-dazzle.

However, since your car is a F30 LCI, you have the new FLE ECUs and the coding has not been confirmed yet.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
If you have High Beam Assistant (5AC), it should be possible to code your car for anti-dazzle.

However, since your car is a F30 LCI, you have the new FLE ECUs and the coding has not been confirmed yet.
Thanks. I didn't know for sure if the camera for the high beam assist functioned in the same capacity for he anti dazzle features. I thought someone had posted that some hardware for this was missing on the US spec cars.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320i
What is FLE ECU's? new gen?

Thanks

Quote:

Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Thanks. I didn't know for sure if the camera for the high beam assist functioned in the same capacity for he anti dazzle features. I thought someone had posted that some hardware for this was missing on the US spec cars.
High Beam Assistant comes with the FLA camera, which is all that is needed for the anti-dazzle feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
What is FLE ECU's? new gen?
Yes, FLE = Front Lighting Electronics. It replaces LHM+TMS. Based on what has been posted so far, it is on 2016 F15, F30 and F31 with adaptive LEDs. 2016 F8x with adaptive LEDs still have the older ECUs.

Last edited by dmnc02; 09-22-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Thanks for that dmnc02, it sounds like it will take time till the new codes get figured out till we will know for sure which features can/can't be coded on the new cars. I will just try to be patient, definitely exciting though if the European functionality can be added to my 2016 340i!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Has anyone figured out how to do this on the 2016 340i?
  • 10/24/2015 - Arrived home
Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom701 View Post
Has anyone figured out how to do this on the 2016 340i?
Nope.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
ok what is anti-dazzle?

2013 320i Jet Black, Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Premium Package, BMS Stage 1, coded goodies.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
ok what is anti-dazzle?
It is generic term for "Glare Free", most usually referring to Glare Free High Beams, although also applicable to other technologies applied to Low Beams such as Variable Light Distribution, and even auto-dimming rear and side view mirrors:

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 12-10-2015, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 340i xDrive
hey
i have a 340 with active headlight and i am in canada
so, i should have the same thing as you.
just do as the cheat sheet says delete 5ap and 8s4 and that's it
Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbee View Post
hey
i have a 340 with active headlight and i am in canada
so, i should have the same thing as you.
just do as the cheat sheet says delete 5ap and 8s4 and that's it
Thanks for the info, what have you done to test it and confirm everything is working?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:36 AM

just put it on road at night and turn on high beam assistant
you will tell the difference
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Well, I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but that doesn't really prove what you've accomplished with the coding changes you've made.

For example, you could have changed the way the lights are operating at low speed, but not at high speed. You might notice a difference in how they are working but not getting the full affect of the "tunnel" when you have the HBA on and approach another vehicle on a dark road.

I'm interested though in what you and others figure out, before I go and start messing around with my own car.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
The VO coding you mentioned allows the high beams to split and swivel outward in response to other traffic, and that is probably the difference you notice after coding. It does not, however, fully enable the "tunnel" on F3x cars and, as a result, you are still glaring other traffic. There is a long thread on this, but you might just want to take a look at this video by @shadowyman of his US-spec F36 with glare-free high beam fully enabled and compare to what you see on your car.

Last edited by dmnc02; 12-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The VO coding you mentioned allows the high beams to split and swivel outward in response to other traffic, and that is probably the difference you notice after coding. It does not, however, fully enable the "tunnel" on F3x cars and, as a result, you are still glaring other traffic. There is a long thread on this, but you might just want to take a look at this video of a US-spec F36 with glare-free high beam fully enabled and compare to what you see on your car.

Have to admit that my high beam is not that sensitive as the car in the video. But it still can spilt the high beam or turn one side off keep one side on on my car.

Last edited by tim330i; 12-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Have to admit that my high beam is not that sensitive as the car in the video. But it still can spilt the high beam or turn one side off keep one side on on my car.
The important difference is not how sensitive the high beams are, but whether or not they "tunnel" correctly. To be clear, what BMW calls the "tunnel" is the shadowed area that you can see tracking an oncoming or preceding car in the video. After VO coding, your high beams will indeed split, swivel outward and turn on and off independently, but you will still not see a clearly defined "tunnel". Give it enough drive time and you will notice other cars flashing you.

To summarize from the other long thread, the LED headlights currently used by BMW (manufactured by HELLA) create the "tunnel" through a combination of two actions:
  1. The high beams turn on/off independently and the reflectors in the high beams swivel (both horizontally and vertically), pointing away from other cars;
  2. Some of the LED emitters (there are multiple ones in each high beam) selectively dim, shadowing a portion of the light projected by each high beam.
Both of the above actions need to happen in order for the "tunnel" to work as designed and for glare to be avoided. On most Fxx cars, VO coding only enables the first action, but unfortunately the second one is the most critical one: in fact, the newer generation of adaptive LED headlights by HELLA (used by Audi) no longer have swiveling reflectors and create the "tunnel" entirely through selective dimming of the LED emitters.

Additional coding after VO coding is needed precisely to enable this dimming action.

Last edited by dmnc02; 12-10-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Can someone with a European spec LED equipped F30 provide the info for their car's programming and that gets compared to the US cars?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Can someone with a European spec LED equipped F30 provide the info for their car's programming and that gets compared to the US cars?
There is no need: all the information is in the coding files and I posted the comparison several months ago in the other thread.

As I have mentioned before, I am fairly confident that activating this on F30/31 LCI is not going to be problematic, especially given the fact that the coding already appears to be working on the 2016 F15 that uses exactly the same headlight ECUs. The only residual step is finding somebody with with a F30/31 LCI who is comfortable coding and can test the coding on his car to confirm it works.

Last edited by dmnc02; 12-10-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
There is no need: all the information is in the coding files.

As I have mentioned before, I am fairly confident that activating this on F30/31 LCI is not going to be problematic, especially given the fact that the coding already appears to be working on the 2016 F15 that uses exactly the same headlight ECUs. The only residual step is finding somebody with with a F30/31 LCI who is comfortable coding and can test the coding on his car to confirm it works.
Okay. Maybe I will get the necessary tools and try to do it. My plan was to hire someone to do the coding as it was not something I was super comfortable with.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Okay. Maybe I will get the necessary tools and try to do it. My plan was to hire someone to do the coding as it was not something I was super comfortable with.
It is really not difficult to learn and there is plenty of support on this forum.

The key reason it would be best to have somebody who can code to test this is that there might be a bit of fine tuning needed.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
It is really not difficult to learn and there is plenty of support on this forum.

The key reason it would be best to have somebody who can code to test this is that there might be a bit of fine tuning needed.
Okay, I will start looking at forum stickies to get an idea of what I need to obtain in order to begin.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, I will start looking at forum stickies to get an idea of what I need to obtain in order to begin.
All you need is the software from Shawn and an ENET cable off eBay. The relevant instructions are in the two PDFs titled "E-Sys - Getting Started Coding - Part 1" and "E-Sys - Getting Started Supplement - Part 3" in this sticky.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
All you need is the software from Shawn and an ENET cable off eBay. The relevant instructions are in the two PDFs titled "E-Sys - Getting Started Coding - Part 1" and "E-Sys - Getting Started Supplement - Part 3" in this sticky.
Okay, ENET cable ordered. Will wait for it to arrive to dig any deeper.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Okay, ENET cable ordered. Will wait for it to arrive to dig any deeper.
What I would suggest you do once you receive the cable is to start by VO coding as @greatbee did and try the lights coded that way for a couple of days, so that you can experience your high beams starting to swivel and trying to tunnel. You can then do the additional coding to enable the selective dimming: at that point, the difference will be very clear.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search