Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 118d sport 2014
HELP! I think I've completely messed up my car!!

I tried coding for the first time today and it looks like I've made a total mess of things. I wanted to enable enehanced bluetooth on my 2014 F20.

Thinking I knew what needed to be done and trying to follow the helpful instructions on the forum here, I changed 6NK to 6NS.

However, that didn't seem to have any effect, so having read another post about needing to code the HU, I selected the HU_ENTRY folder and clicked "code". The iDrive unit restarted.

Now I no longer have even basic telephone Bluetooth, nor does the drive mode (sport, comfort etc) button work.

As I said, I made a mess of it. Obviously I didn't follow the instructions properly.

If anyone can help me restore my car back to default, I'd be very grateful.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
As I wrote you here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=813

Since both 6NK & 6NS are Extended Bluetooth options, what is it you hope to gain?

Change FA back to 6NK and VO Code HU_ENTRY.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-26-2014, 01:47 AM

Thanks for replying. I mistyped. I didn't have any extended Bluetooth, so my original setup must have been 6NH - the standard Bluetooth phone setup.

I changed it to 6NS and coded HU_ENTRY. Or so I thought. When this didn't change anything, I went back to try again. However, now the HU_ENTRY folder has no option to code when I right click and no green line inside the folder (I believe that's referred to as the CAF file, where the various options can be edited?).

I think that whatever I did must have removed the CAF file from HU_ENTRY as now it's like all of the options are set to off - I have no Bluetooth telephone, DAB radio won't tune etc.

Any advice to restore to default settings?

Thanks a million.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:53 AM

Thanks for replying. I mistyped. I didn't have any extended Bluetooth, so my original setup must have been 6NH - the standard Bluetooth phone setup.

I changed it to 6NS and coded HU_ENTRY. Or so I thought. When this didn't change anything, I went back to try again. However, now the HU_ENTRY folder has no option to code when I right click and no green line inside the folder (I believe that's referred to as the CAF file, where the various options can be edited?).

I think that whatever I did must have removed the CAF file from HU_ENTRY as now it's like all of the options are set to off - I have no Bluetooth telephone, DAB radio won't tune etc.

Any advice to restore to default settings?

Thanks a million.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M135i
Change FA back to 6NK. Then it sounds like you need to inject CAFD into HU_ENTRY and VO Code the ECU:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on HU_ENTRY => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from the latest I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on HU_ENTRY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

DO NOT PRESS "CODE DEFAULT VALUES"

Last edited by wiggis; 10-26-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 AM

Thanks I'll try that and report back I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM

I tried what upi suggested but unfortunately, no luck. There seems to be an error when trying to code the CAF. I'm not sure if this is related but the istep version displayed in the esys interface ends in 05 and is different from the latest one available when trying to detect CAF from SWE. When I try to code I get an error related to the CAF file.

If I take the car to the dealer, will they be able to fix it? Will they know that it was me who messed it up?

Lastly, do you have a paypal account? I'd like to buy you a beer for all the help you provide on this forum
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 AM

If you can let me connect with Team Viewer while you are connected to car, I can probably fix it for you.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
If you can let me connect with Team Viewer while you are connected to car, I can probably fix it for you.
Will the car obtain its IP address from a DHCP server? Everything I've read on coding so far says to connect directly to the car and use the fallback IP address, which generally means you're not connected to any other network (unless you can be connected to wifi simultaneously). I suppose I should experiment . . .

I'm just wondering how you'll get teamviewer to work if you're only connected to the car.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM

That would be amazing. I'm just installing team viewer now & need to ensure I can access WiFi from the car. When would you be free? I'm in UK (GMT) so it's 16:45 here.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Car is wired to LAN Adapter. Team Viewer is connect to Internet via WiFi. LAN Adapter will take Fallback Class-B 192.168.xxx.xxx IP Address, and WiFi simultaenoulsy will take normal DHCP IP Address with WLAN access. I do it all the time, typically 3 cars per day.

I am free in 45 minutes.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 10-26-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Okay, I'll PM the teamviewer details and be set up 35mins from now.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
Some options, when added to FA, will prevent coding the HU. I had this problem with my old NBT. Nothing a correct FA + VO Coding can't fix. I'm sure Shawn will help you sort things out.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Just want to say thanks so much to Shawn for taking the time to help me reset my car after I messed something up. (It's not easy explaining to your wife that the car doesn't work because you decided to mess around with the software!).

I'm still not sure what I did that messed it up and I was convinced I followed the exact same process as you Shawn to try to get back to default...but I guess that's the difference between a total noob and a pro - you knew what you were doing.

You definitely got me out of a jam - much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:34 AM

No problem.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Car is wired to LAN Adapter. Team Viewer is connect to Internet via WiFi. LAN Adapter will take Fallback Class-B 192.168.xxx.xxx IP Address, and WiFi simultaenoulsy will take normal DHCP IP Address with WLAN access. I do it all the time, typically 3 cars per day.

I am free in 45 minutes.
Gotcha. Shortly after I asked the question I went out and connected to my car and discovered that I could be connected to wifi just fine with the laptop plugged into the car via ethernet. I thought I'd read somewhere that all other network connections needed to be shut down for e-Sys to do its thing.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Gotcha. Shortly after I asked the question I went out and connected to my car and discovered that I could be connected to wifi just fine with the laptop plugged into the car via ethernet. I thought I'd read somewhere that all other network connections needed to be shut down for e-Sys to do its thing.

Thanks!
Yes, many have written that, but the fact is that it is incorrect.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M135i
The wonders of routing tables

Sean - just for reference, what was the problem with the car? curious what magic you had to perform to restore it?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM

I just injected CAFD in HU_ENTRY and VO Coded it.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Mein Auto: 04 330I ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencethisnois View Post
Just want to say thanks so much to Shawn for taking the time to help me reset my car after I messed something up. (It's not easy explaining to your wife that the car doesn't work because you decided to mess around with the software!).

I'm still not sure what I did that messed it up and I was convinced I followed the exact same process as you Shawn to try to get back to default...but I guess that's the difference between a total noob and a pro - you knew what you were doing.

You definitely got me out of a jam - much appreciated.
Shawn is the man!!! Helped me too!