Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
High-Beam Assistant Activate/Deactivate Speeds

Hi everyone. Got a new 2017 F30 and am coding it as I did my previous car.

One thing has me stumped: I have S552 Adaptive LED Headlights and S5AC High-beam Assistant and I am in the US. There's a lot on this board about coding high-beams, mostly around converting US high beams to do European-style "tunneling", but I'm happy enough with my normal automatic high beams, except that they come on at 25mph/40kph and go off at about 20mph/30kph. I would like both of these speeds to be about 5mph slower, 20mph/32kph and 15mph/24kph. I have tried the following settings:

- FEM_BODY => 3074 => C_HBA_UC1_LBNS_THRES_LO (default 31kph/0x1F) to 24kph/0x18
- FEM_BODY => 3074 => C_HBA_UC1_LBNS_THRES_HI (default 39kph/0x27) to 32kph/0x20

I chose these because the default values very closely matched what the car was actually doing but they had no apparent effect. So then I went with the obvious choice from all the HBA threads:

- FEM_BODY => 3074 => C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (default 60kph/0x3C) to 24kph/0x18
- FEM_BODY => 3074 => C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (default 70kph/0x46) to 32kph/0x20

Again, no luck, perhaps not surprisingly since C_HBA_ENA is disabled.

Has anyone successfully changed the activation speed on the stock HBA? It seems like such a simple thing but the board is so full of much more sophisticated HBA stuff that I can't seem to find the answer.

Side note: would love to have the HBA come on automatically when the car starts, but it appears this is not possible in the F30?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by wrigley; 02-14-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Coded 2016 F10/ F15 Sport
Regular HBA comes on at any speed below 41 mph. It is based on detected ambient light. Mine will even come on when stopped at dark intersection.
The first ones you adjusted are for upper/lower threshold for deactivating/reactivating NGHB on Left/right side.

Then, you adjusted the speed thresholds for NGHB, which normally activate above 41 mph and deactivate below 38 mph.

Yes, automatic HBA is only available on vehicles with FRM (eg F010 for F025).

Last edited by Almaretto; 02-14-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Regular HBA comes on at any speed below 41 mph. It is based on detected ambient light. Mine will even come on when stopped at dark intersection.
The first ones you adjusted are for upper/lower threshold for deactivating/reactivating NGHB on Left/right side.

Then, you adjusted the speed thresholds for NGHB, which normally activate above 41 mph and deactivate below 38 mph.

Yes, automatic HBA is only available on vehicles with FRM (eg F010 for F025).
Thanks for responding, and for the additional info.

Do you mean KPH (not MPH)? Assuming all other conditions for activating high beams are met, my car very consistently turns them on at 25mph and off at 20mph. My 2014 F30 did exactly the same.

Last edited by wrigley; 02-14-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Thanks for responding, and for the additional info.

Do you mean KPH (not MPH). Assuming all other conditions for activating high beams are met, my car very consistently turns them on at 25mph and off at 20mph. My 2014 F30 did exactly the same.
All the values are written in Hexadecimal for KPH.

C_HBA_ENA_V_HI: 46 = 70 kph (activating threshold)
C_HBA_ENA_V_LO: 3C = 60 kph (deactivating threshold)

So, below 41-43 mph (at any speed), I only get ON/OFF.
Above thresholds, I get either full brights if no cars are detected or tunneling.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Thanks, I get that. I do not have tunneling enabled --- have done no high-beam coding (on this car).

So straight stock automatic high beam (S5AC) is what I have. I press the button on the stalk to turn on the high beam assistant, the indicator light in the cluster comes on, but high beams will not activate until I reach 25mph.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I get that. I do not have tunneling enabled --- have done no high-beam coding (on this car).

So straight stock automatic high beam (S5AC) is what I have. I press the button on the stalk to turn on the high beam assistant, the indicator light in the cluster comes on, but high beams will not activate until I reach 25mph.
There is not a separate button for HBA & NGHB activation.

There are limitations.

There are different driving modes. VLD, HBA, & NGHB Explained.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks Almaretto, I appreciate your help, but I think my long initial post may have obscured exactly what I am trying to do.

I have a 2017 F30 (340i) with STOCK Adaptive LED headlights and HBA (US). With HBA on, my high-beams (if all conditions are met) activate at 25mph, and I would like them to activate at 20mph.

Can this be coded? Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks Almaretto, I appreciate your help, but I think my long initial post may have obscured exactly what I am trying to do.

I have a 2017 F30 (340i) with STOCK Adaptive LED headlights and HBA (US). With HBA on, my high-beams (if all conditions are met) activate at 25mph, and I would like them to activate at 20mph.

Can this be coded? Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
I understand what you are asking, but my HBA does not seem to be speed limited nor do I know the parameters for which you are looking.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I understand what you are asking, but my HBA does not seem to be speed limited nor do I know the parameters for which you are looking.
Thanks again. I'll troll through FEM_BODY and see what else I can find.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. I'll troll through FEM_BODY and see what else I can find.
If you do not find anything there, you can also check in FLA or KAFAS.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Thanks. Does anyone know what C_FLC_... in FEM_BODY 3073 refers to? There are a bunch of related items there.

i.e.
C_FLC_FUZZY_AMPL_THRES
C_FLC_FUZZY_AMPL_MIN
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Found it!

KAFAS2 => 3050 => SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (default 0x28)
KAFAS2 => 3050 => SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF (default 0x1D)

So, with stock automatic High-beams switched on (using stalk button):

The first controls the speed above which the high-beams will activate, and the second controls the speed at which they deactivate.

Values are in KPH, Hex.

Tested on a US-spec 2017 F30 (340i) with adaptive LED headlights (S552) and high-beam assistant (S5AC), no other headlight coding.

Thanks Almaretto for steering me toward KAFAS.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Found it!

Thanks Almaretto for steering me toward KAFAS.
Anytime

Last edited by Almaretto; 02-19-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i xDrive
I think the stock settings are just fine because if it's set too low, when you drive around the neighborhood at night you will high beam people's houses waking them up. I think that is the whole point why the automatic high beam system is designed to be as they are. This is why I left the rear view camera turn off speeds stock. Mirror unfold stock too but when I was driving in heavy traffic but moving on a bridge in between NJ and NYC w/ construction so everything is tight I wanted the mirrors to fold but because traffic didn't exceed 41mph I couldn't. :( Speeds were like 25-38mph and I wished I coded it for less lol
Old 02-21-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
I think the stock settings are just fine because if it's set too low, when you drive around the neighborhood at night you will high beam people's houses waking them up...
Although I drive, uh, "aggressively" on open roads, I am very careful in residential areas. My neighborhood has a lot of narrow roads and lots of kids and pets. Often I don't even make it up to 25mph, which is why I wanted to lower the activation speed.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
hba, high beam assist

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search