Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 550i M-Sport
F10 major gas leak due to fuel pump issue

Hey Guys, I have heard of some fuel pump issues but never similar to this- after filling up my tank I noticed a strong smell of gas. I drove to the office and when I left I noticed again, smell of gas and a large wet spot under the car. I looked but didn't notice anything dripping so drove home.

On looking at the fuel gauge I noticed it was now only half full (or half empty depending on your outlook : ). I pulled up to the house and recorded this:

Car spent a week at the shop (they apparently didn't have a gasket) and the repair order stated: due to wires for fuel pump connector melting causing pins to fall through holes causing fuel leak- performed test and found many fault codes- replaced supply module, socket housing, grommet, fuel pump and socket housing. cleared fault codes.

Anyone else have fuel pouring onto their tank? Is this the fuel pump issue I have heard about or something one off?

My 550 doesn't need help getting rid of fuel
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Sounds like something cause the fuel pump connector to over heat, it doesnt sound like the old N54 HPFP problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Have you modded your car in any way?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 550i M-Sport
It has Dinan 2 but nothing else at all.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
The old N54 HPFP issue is more an internal problem because of a bad part or faulty sensor causing long cranks upon startup or engine stalls. In your case, it's a leak of gasoline but your engine ran smooth as long as there is still enough of it to feed the engine. I'm glad you noticed it right away and took care of it and no one got hurt. From your video, that's a pretty bad leak.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i X-Drive
Covered under warranty 10 years regardless of mileage

I actually just joined so I could post a response to this thread. I had the same issue on my 2011 535 and took it to my mechanic. He told me that due to the repeated fuel pump issues, not only was there a warranty extension, but the original extension to the 10 yr/100k miles warranty has been superseded by a 10 yr warranty with no limit to mileage. BMW will repair the issue and all associated issues for FREE. If they try to refuse like the lady I spoke to at the stealership, tell them you would like to speak with a warranty manager (who should help you out). I was appalled at the lack of honesty and complete ignorance I experienced when I went to the dealership and just wanted to shed some light to anyone looking at this thread. If you want to confirm it was the pump, take the back seat out and unscrew the four screws around the circular plate covering the fuel pump connector. I have attached a photo of my failed connector as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151229_083838.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	544156  
Old 01-01-2016, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi everyone, I am living and working in China. I have a 2011 535Li on the extended F18 chassis. I had it at he dealer for two recall issues 2 weeks ago. The first was the bolts breaking in the vanos, the second was to replace the fuel pump wiring harness and fuel pump. Neither had been an issue with my car and they did it almost free of charge... Ended up paying for a new valve cover because mine was a..."broken"
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
The old N54 HPFP issue is more an internal problem because of a bad part or faulty sensor causing long cranks upon startup or engine stalls. In your case, it's a leak of gasoline but your engine ran smooth as long as there is still enough of it to feed the engine. I'm glad you noticed it right away and took care of it and no one got hurt. From your video, that's a pretty bad leak.

Also the hpfp is a mechanical device that sits in the engine bay.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by preetmandavia View Post
I actually just joined so I could post a response to this thread. I had the same issue on my 2011 535 and took it to my mechanic. He told me that due to the repeated fuel pump issues, not only was there a warranty extension, but the original extension to the 10 yr/100k miles warranty has been superseded by a 10 yr warranty with no limit to mileage. BMW will repair the issue and all associated issues for FREE. If they try to refuse like the lady I spoke to at the stealership, tell them you would like to speak with a warranty manager (who should help you out). I was appalled at the lack of honesty and complete ignorance I experienced when I went to the dealership and just wanted to shed some light to anyone looking at this thread. If you want to confirm it was the pump, take the back seat out and unscrew the four screws around the circular plate covering the fuel pump connector. I have attached a photo of my failed connector as well.
I am having the exact same issue on my 2011 535i. Just this morning, my mechanic removed the seats and confirmed this is the melting power wire issue causing a hole in the body of the fuel pump. He reiterated this is not the high-pressure fuel pump, but rather the low pressure one. So there is a big question mark about whether BMW should fix it for free. My initial understanding was that they covered only the high-pressure pump, and on N54 engines (mine is N55). But it sounds like in your post that BMW did in fact fix it for you. Can you confirm? Was it enough to talk to the dealership manager, or did you have to talk to BMW-NA head office? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I prepare to go into battle with the corporate bureaucrats. Any warranty doc to link to or share?
Thanks!
rico-b
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-b View Post
I am having the exact same issue on my 2011 535i. Just this morning, my mechanic removed the seats and confirmed this is the melting power wire issue causing a hole in the body of the fuel pump. He reiterated this is not the high-pressure fuel pump, but rather the low pressure one. So there is a big question mark about whether BMW should fix it for free. My initial understanding was that they covered only the high-pressure pump, and on N54 engines (mine is N55). But it sounds like in your post that BMW did in fact fix it for you. Can you confirm? Was it enough to talk to the dealership manager, or did you have to talk to BMW-NA head office? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I prepare to go into battle with the corporate bureaucrats. Any warranty doc to link to or share?
Thanks!
rico-b
Yes! The dealership will fix it for you until 2021. The word for word description of the warranty duration is "Ten years from production with no limit on mileage". If they tell you anything different, speak to a dealer manager and ask them to SHOW you on their computer where the warranty is described. I have the n55 as well and they fixed without hesitation after escalating.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Man, that is interesting. My story is unfolding differently After my mechanic confirmed that my issue is same as yours (low pressure fuel pump with melted wiring under rear seat), and encouraged by your story, I went ahead and had my car towed to the BMW dealership earlier this afternoon, hoping to duplicate your success. The dealership will do their own diagnosis tomorrow, but the service agent VERY emphatically told me that if they reach the same conclusion as my mechanic did, then they definitely will NOT warranty this. He said it ONLY applies to the high-pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. He said that since my original warranty is already long gone (expired about 18 months ago), I wouldn't even be eligible for a "good will gesture" warranty service. It did not seem to interest him in the slightest when I mentioned that others (e.g. you) did get this repair covered. He said "If it turns out to be the low-pressure fuel pump, I wouldn't even be able to submit this to BMW-North America".
This particular service agent was not the manager, so I'm still planning to escalate if he won't budge. Can you tell me what you saw on their warranty description that was decisively in your favor? Does it not specifically limit repairs to the high-pressure fuel pump, as my service agent claims? Also, were you in a similar situation as me, with your original warranty being long expired? I'd really hate for all this to come down to bad luck with an a-hole agent...
Thanks for your quick reply, BTW
Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-b View Post
Man, that is interesting. My story is unfolding differently After my mechanic confirmed that my issue is same as yours (low pressure fuel pump with melted wiring under rear seat), and encouraged by your story, I went ahead and had my car towed to the BMW dealership earlier this afternoon, hoping to duplicate your success. The dealership will do their own diagnosis tomorrow, but the service agent VERY emphatically told me that if they reach the same conclusion as my mechanic did, then they definitely will NOT warranty this. He said it ONLY applies to the high-pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. He said that since my original warranty is already long gone (expired about 18 months ago), I wouldn't even be eligible for a "good will gesture" warranty service. It did not seem to interest him in the slightest when I mentioned that others (e.g. you) did get this repair covered. He said "If it turns out to be the low-pressure fuel pump, I wouldn't even be able to submit this to BMW-North America".
This particular service agent was not the manager, so I'm still planning to escalate if he won't budge. Can you tell me what you saw on their warranty description that was decisively in your favor? Does it not specifically limit repairs to the high-pressure fuel pump, as my service agent claims? Also, were you in a similar situation as me, with your original warranty being long expired? I'd really hate for all this to come down to bad luck with an a-hole agent...
Thanks for your quick reply, BTW
I'm not sure if there is more than one pump under the seat, but the service agent I spoke to was reluctant as well. Like I said, have her show you the part information on the computer screen. My car was fixed the day I posted that and at the time, it had 130k miles on it so warranty was definitely out of the question. I would raise all hell if I were you. The fact that your car is currently flooding your cabin with gas fumes is a pretty scary thought. These fuel pump connectors are known to be faulty and the dealership I went to specifically told me that the repair would be covered, and it was! Go back to them and make them show you on a computer screen that the pump is not warranted. Any argument they make (unless it is indeed another issue) is garbage. If you see fuel leaking from under the right passenger seat, then it is indeed the same problem I had.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E90 328i 6MT sport
F10 major gas leak due to fuel pump issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetmandavia View Post
Yes! The dealership will fix it for you until 2021. The word for word description of the warranty duration is "Ten years from production with no limit on mileage". If they tell you anything different, speak to a dealer manager and ask them to SHOW you on their computer where the warranty is described. I have the n55 as well and they fixed without hesitation after escalating.

I would much rather have a BMW document number to TELL the dealer to look at which confirms coverage, not ask them to prove to you that is isn't.

I fear that a lot of these things concerning extended warranties won't apply in Canada because they'll just explain it away as a US or California only thing.

Last edited by surly; 02-09-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM

UPDATE: my story has a happy ending

Dealership called to let me know they completed the diagnosis, and that the gas leak was in fact caused by the "in-tank fuel pump module". And that it IS covered under the special extended warranty. The agent apologized for initially rejecting this as a warranty claim, explaining that he was 'confused' and thought my car was an E60 (previous gen), not an F10. So now it is being repaired for free while I enjoy a delightful 320i M-package loaner
FYI, there are two other ways to check if your car is eligible for any special warranty:
1) call BMW-NA and speak to an agent (have your VIN ready)
2) go to http://www.bmw-rp.com and it will let you know if you're qualified for any service reimbursement based on your VIN (the in-tank fuel pump came up when I did this)

Cheers!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search