Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
Another leather dye thread

I've done a search, and a few threads came up, but I'd like to hear from people who have tackled sprucing up their leather seats recently as to their experiences. The dye on my daughter's car's light gray leather seats is pretty worn in spots, so I'm thinking about tackling re-dying them myself. There are no cracks, tears, burn marks, and the stitching is perfectly intact - the only issue is the worn-off color, making the interior look a little drab, in contrast to the car's exterior, which looks practically new.

I've read a lot about products like leatherique, but most of the projects I've seen it used on were on seats that were much more "far gone" than my daughters'. Is leatherique the best product to use (it's a little pricey, but definitely a lot cheaper than re-upholstering the seats!), or are there others that are better, or just as good for less money? How long should I expect any dye to last? Is this a reasonable DIY project, or is it best left to a professional? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
leatherique works great, even for touch up. Just have them color match and FOLLOW the directions. Prep is key.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the response. I've heard great things about leatherique, but as I said, I've only seen it applied to seriously trashed seats, which I guess is a good endorsement of the product. Have you used it yourself?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I used the crappy stuff and the leatherique. Provided you follow directions and take your time the Leatherique is the way to go 110% no questions about it. You won't believe the results.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci Auto Vert
I had great results using Leather Works. It was a perfect color match. Use several thin coats, don't try to do it all in one coat. It has been three months now, and it is holding up great.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Try the link below. I used their product about 4 years ago with no problems. Also, lots of useful information.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/depa...and-paint.aspx
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
The dye on my daughter's car's light gray leather seats is pretty worn in spots.
I typed /seat F3 in the E39 bestlinks to come up with this for you:

- How to reupholster or repair or re-foam or dye worn leather or cloth BMW seats (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) & recommended suppliers (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9).
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
I know on E46Fanatics, this stuff called "Color Bond" was all the rage when someone started a thread about it. It's apparently some good stuff from what I've seen, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
Thanks for the response. I've heard great things about leatherique, but as I said, I've only seen it applied to seriously trashed seats, which I guess is a good endorsement of the product. Have you used it yourself?
It worked well for touch up as well. Just get the two seat kit as you will most likely want to touch up both but talk to them (send them pictures) and see what they say. They are very helpful.

Yes I have, used it on an entire interior.

Before:

After:

Obviously, that seat was very trashed. Still, I used it on the entire interior some of which was pretty good shape. I had the interior completely out so I just went ahead and did it all. This was three years ago and it has held up well.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM

I'm glad to hear there have been so many good experiences with these products, and that they seem to hold up well. Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
It worked well for touch up as well. Just get the two seat kit as you will most likely want to touch up both but talk to them (send them pictures) and see what they say. They are very helpful.

Yes I have, used it on an entire interior.

Before:

After:

Obviously, that seat was very trashed. Still, I used it on the entire interior some of which was pretty good shape. I had the interior completely out so I just went ahead and did it all. This was three years ago and it has held up well.
You did a great job! Looks brand new.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Try the link below. I used their product about 4 years ago with no problems. Also, lots of useful information.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/depa...and-paint.aspx
I have had great luck with their dye also.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Leather Dye

I used a kit from a British company called Furniture Clinic. It worked great. I took grey leather seats and changed them to black. The kit got rid of the worn areas and made the seats look factory fresh.

I get lots of compliments and nobody can believe the seats used to be grey.

or if that link isnt working just paste the link:
http://flic.kr/p/dFue9K

The company has a facebook page, too.

The other suggestions in this post are probably good, too, but I found these guys had no negative comments at all about their products. Comes form England.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02412.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	355092