Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i -5spd black/black
Exclamation WARNING - If you think you hear your spare knocking around in the trunk but its not!

Get this crazy ISH...
Drove down to Lakeland, Florida few days ago (480 miles) and then did a little drifting on a nice dirt road, hit some nasty spots... Any who... came back home (480 miles) and a day or so later I noticed this sound coming from the rear of my car. It was after I removed everything from the trunk and made the car light weight again... Id be driving down the road at 40 mph and Id here what sounded like the spare tire knocking on the floor board of the trunk of something. I checked it out,.. Nada. tire was nice and secured. I drove down town and on the way back I realized it got even worse. Every little roll, or bump that I would barely feel I would hear the knocking.
About half way home I realized.. ****, maybe I messed up a bushing for the sway bar or something. I got home. crawled under and checked it,.. everything was nice... then I looked at the rear left suspension and I took a double take in disbelief... I found my problem The single 19mm? bolt that holds the "coil?" (like the bottom bolt on coilovers) to the wheel was undone. The coil was pretty much almost all the way off the rubber gasket and Id say the bolt was pretty much all the way out I could turn the damn thing with two fingers... Jacked up the car and attempted to tighten it. Barely did anything but I got it to where my fingers wouldn't turn it... went for a careful spin,,, the sound was gone. Its still not sitting right but Im taking it to get tightened up correctly later today when the sun comes up.

Good thing I caught it... I have to drive to west palm beach (9.5 hrs one way) tomorrow

So lesson learned.. If you hear knocking or suspension or something and you cant quiet figure it out and you hear it even on a normally smooth road... check your bolts... **** happens. I wouldn't wanna know what would have happened if it came out tomorrow when Im cruising 80 mph down the highway with the 5000000 other ppl that will be cruising around me....
Check yo KNOTS BOYS!!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Sure, it's good to check strange sounds in time, before it gets more expensive.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansour View Post
then I looked at the rear left suspension and I took a double take in disbelief... I found my problem The single 19mm? bolt that holds the "coil?" (like the bottom bolt on coilovers) to the wheel was undone. The coil was pretty much almost all the way off the rubber gasket and Id say the bolt was pretty much all the way out!
I'm really confused by the description of the problem you solved. Can you show which bolt you're talking about from a realoem.com diagram?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Sure, it's good to check strange sounds in time, before it gets more expensive.
True that bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
I'm really confused by the description of the problem you solved. Can you show which bolt you're talking about from a realoem.com diagram?
tell me if this link makes no sense and I will just cut the image and upload it.

Bolt #2
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...41&hg=33&fg=45

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Yes, that clears it up. You snugged up the lower shock mounting bolt.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Yes, that clears it up. You snugged up the lower shock mounting bolt.
Yah I'm back in west palm beach now. It held up fine but I still have to get the shock all the way back on... Still hanging off a bit