Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Google Maps Question

Hi can anyone tell me how to setup Google Maps on my Nexus tablet so I can send destinations to my F30's Nav? I don't see any 'Send to Car' option on the app when I select a destination.

I think the problem may be that I don't have Google Maps on this tablet setup with my BMW Assist login, but not sure how to do this. I can do it from my iPhone but not sure how to do it from the tablet.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
you need to use the My BMW remote.

you'll need to sideload it, google for "my bmw remote apk"
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Hi can anyone tell me how to setup Google Maps on my Nexus tablet so I can send destinations to my F30's Nav? I don't see any 'Send to Car' option on the app when I select a destination.

I think the problem may be that I don't have Google Maps on this tablet setup with my BMW Assist login, but not sure how to do this. I can do it from my iPhone but not sure how to do it from the tablet.

Thanks.
There are two ways to have a tablet send addresses to iDrive:

1. Download the BMW Remote app. I am not sure if this is available for your tablet's OS. Check your app store. If it is, sign on, use the Google Search function, tap on the flag, choose Send To Car.

2. Download an alternative web browser app that "spoofs" Firefox for Windows PC. There are several out there that do this. Your tablet's default browser sends a signal to web pages that it's a tablet so you are getting the "tablet" version of the internet on your device. Google Maps tablet webpage doesn't have the Send To Car feature. I use an app called iCab Browser that allows me to change that signal to web pages to whatever browser I want including Firefox for Windows PC. When Google Maps webpage sees you coming, it thinks you're on a PC instead of a tablet and provides you with the PC version of Google Maps which has the "Send To Car" function on a pop up over the location flag.

If neither of these work, be advised that Google Maps on any standard notebook browser has the Send To Car feature and you don't even need to log into Google Maps to do it. You put your BMW Assist email address (all caps) and password in once, it gets cookied, done.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 528i +328xi
Since you are running an android product there are two ways to set up send to car;

1) In the Playstore there is a free app called "Send to car" I have it installed on my phone and it works fine. You can launch the app itself which gives you several options such as opening google maps or sending the address right from the app. You can open google maps search for the location and once it shows on the map press on the address box which open another screen showing street view and some options. Hit the menu button on the phone and you should be given the option to share. Hit that option scroll through the list and select send to car.

2) The "My BMW Remote" app is not available in the US Playstore. You can download the app from the XDA developers website to a pc and sideload it into your Nexus (this means to transfer it via usb cable or wi-fi into the device). When you open the file on the device it will install and work like a regular app.

I find the "send to car" option is much quicker, the "my BMW remote" sometimes take 10-15 minutes.
I do like the locate my car and the remote lock feature in "My BMW Remote" but it also takes several minutes to get to the car.
Sounds like a lot of work but once it is set up you can get the destinations to your car with just a couple of moves.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Thanks for super advice guys! The Send to Car app works great for my Nexus tablet, and the browser method from my work PC works great too. I don't need the other functions from 'My BMW Remote' (already have them from my iPhone) so I won't bother with the sideload thing until I'm better versed in Android.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
If you're using Chrome on either Android or iOS, there's a "View Desktop Site" item in the tools menu that spoofs a desktop user agent. This should allow you to access the desktop features of the maps site.