Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 318i
Thermostat

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 97 BMW 318i. I noticed that it runs very cold (needle in blue) but when it's idling, it gets to operating temperature. As soon as I begin driving it cools down again. I read somewhere that these symptoms are due to a faulty thermostat. Seems logical. Just wanted to get a few more opinions.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Search for "replace entire cooling system".

You should find a thread or two about it.

Hope that helps.

Ed
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i agree with ed, but double check the coolant level first. there are a lt of little, brittle plastic parts on the m42/44 that get overlooked when doing a cooling system service.

there's a pipe that runs along the block under the manifold, as well as a bunch of nipples along the back of the head.

i wish someone made them out of metal....

df
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Shot thermostat. Best off doing an entire system overhaul.

http://jlanephoto.smugmug.com/
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Thermostat is stuck open. While you're replacing it do the water pump (get one with metal impeller), replace the plastic thermostat housing with a metal one and replace the hoses. Some would recommend replacing the radiator too, and I'd agree but if you're on a tight budget you can do the basics above and then do the radiator as soon after as you can.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Ok. So I guess I need to do the entire cooling system. I'm at 130,000. I probably won't do the radiator.

Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Is it relatively easy to do yourself? I've done it on my other car, eagle talon, but haven't done any work on the bimmer yet
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Very, very easy. Plenty of DIYs available online for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDD View Post
Ok. So I guess I need to do the entire cooling system. I'm at 130,000. I probably won't do the radiator.

Thanks guys
The radiator needs to be replaced if it has more than 75k miles on it, so you're way overdue and flirting with disaster. Do yourself a favor and read all the stickies at the top of E36 page, and also search for "E36 overheat", and then read all the responses you find. You'll figure it out pretty quickly.

1998 BMW 328is Shooting Brake
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 12-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
I know I said earlier you could defer the radiator, but with that many miles I would replace it unless you can verify that it's been replaced once and doesn't have a bunch of miles on it. The failure on these radiators is the upper neck on the radiator breaking off. Sometimes there will be some micro-cracks form first and you get a drip/drip leak and sometimes it's just spontaneous catastrophic failure. Bonehead Performance has great prices on all aluminum Mishimoto radiators for the I-6 engines but I haven't looked to see if they make on for the I-4.
Cooling system on an E36 is much easier than on any transverse engine car.
If you go to the "Useful Links" sticky and click on the second link (This one went missing....) it's a link to the Bentley Manual for the E36. Best manual you can get for these cars.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks a lot guys. Guess ill have to do everything. Will be cheaper if I can manage to do everything myself. I'll read up the links.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yeah, just replace everything and you'll be very happy you did. By far, the number one thing that kills these cars is a blown head gasket due to cooling system neglect. If you replace the cooling system according to the widely recommended intervals before something breaks, you'll never have a problem and the car will last you forever. Just about every other major system in these cars is bulletproof. The process of swapping everything out is very straightforward. Took me a few hours when I did it the first time, and I was going sloooowly to make sure I did everything right.

1998 BMW 328is Shooting Brake
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 12-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.