Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I'm probably going to get slammed for saying all this, but a 328/335 is well beyond the $40k market segment. You really need to be in the ballpark of about $45k to $50k before a 328/335 should even be a consideration, and if you really want all the cool stuff, then it definitely has to be a lot closer to $50k than $45k..
Not trying to slam, but I paid a little over $41k for my 328 M-spec. He could save ~$1k and just get Sport, which is essentially the same thing. I had to sacrifice some of the neat goodies, but I just asked myself if I'd really use them. Do I trust a computer to tell me when someones in my blind spot? No! Do I really need a handless trunk opener? No! etc, etc.

Everyone has different priorities, but he could get Nav, M-spec, and Xenon's for what to me is a fair premium vs. an A4 (I know, this is a g37 thread, sorry). 335 will cost him, but I imagine you can get a 328 to the 335 level with limited mods.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin951 View Post
Not trying to slam, but I paid a little over $41k for my 328 M-spec. He could save ~$1k and just get Sport, which is essentially the same thing. I had to sacrifice some of the neat goodies, but I just asked myself if I'd really use them. Do I trust a computer to tell me when someones in my blind spot? No! Do I really need a handless trunk opener? No! etc, etc.

Everyone has different priorities, but he could get Nav, M-spec, and Xenon's for what to me is a fair premium vs. an A4 (I know, this is a g37 thread, sorry). 335 will cost him, but I imagine you can get a 328 to the 335 level with limited mods.
Yep.

I got my $43k M-Sport for $38k because it was a July build with the missing Bluetooth. I hate Bluetooth in cars lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Of course you can get an insanely good deal on an G37 for $7k below MSRP also.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Of course you can get an insanely good deal on an G37 for $7k below MSRP also.
That's what happens with old stuff.

I am reading people on here getting $7k+ off of E92's.

I would be very tempted by a G37S RWD with a 6mt if it meant $30k+ taxes. It is a lot of car for the money and I always find that appealing.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
That's what happens with old stuff.

I am reading people on here getting $7k+ off of E92's.

I would be very tempted by a G37S RWD with a 6mt if it meant $30k+ taxes. It is a lot of car for the money and I always find that appealing.
In total I got 6k off my 2013 335i
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
The G37 Sport was on our short list, too. We had a 2004 G35 Coupe, 6MT and loved that car for it's performance and handling. We wanted something a little bigger. In the end, it was the test drive that put us into the 2012 335i Sport, AT. Overall, the 335i just felt better than the Infiniti. Our experience with Infiniti was very good and I would definately recommend them to anyone considering a performance car. It just boils down to what feels best to you. As for gas consumption, you gotta ask yourself do we really buy these types of cars for fuel efficiency?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I have been in the market for quite a while now (too long) for an A4 or a 328i. Just for the heck of it, I checked out some specs and prices for the G37 Sport 6MT, as they sometimes offer incredible discounts when a model near its end.

A car buying service promises a price of about $36K (about $6800 off MSRP, without any negotiations). I glanced over the list of standard features and they seem to have grown quite a bit since last time I checked them out:
  • Navigation
  • Backup camera & sonar
  • Xenons
  • Sport suspention
  • 12-way power seats
  • Power tilt and telescopic steering
  • High end stereo
  • Intelligent Key
  • Voice recognition
  • USB, bluetooth, XM, etc.
  • 60K B2B warranty
Oh, and 328Hp and outstanding handling, and very good reliability.

To get a similarly equipped 4-banger 328i, you are looking at about $47-48K street price.
  • Some lows of the G37 Sport: it is looking a little dated and it has never been able to compete on looks with the pretty ones, inside and outside.
  • Biggest low: awful gas mileage for the manual, partly due to a mystifying choice of a close-ratio gear box (why with such a powerful engine?)

I can't see anything that offers the same kind of bang for the buck in terms of performance and practicality. If very long commutes/mpgs are not an issue, it seems like an irresistible package for self-proclaimed enthusiasts.

Yes, yes, it is not the most refined in looks, both inside and outside, but it still is easy on the eyes and build quality and materials are very high. Yes, it is getting old and it may not be the most refined, but it is still a very well performing and yet civilized ride.

What am I missing? Maybe BJ is more right than he thinks. Is it all about the badge and the magazine fueled myths of telepathic steering, magical voodoo qualities, etc.?

What am I not seeing in the $11-12K + Tax price difference?
They have bought this "pile of junk" to the UK, I have test driven all there products awful sums them up, MPG terrible handling same, we call them "the poor man's Lexus".
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
The final reason why I would pick a BMW over Infiniti:
Euro Delivery.
You can drive the Autobahn and the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Ask your Infiniti dealer about that.

And it brings down the price considerably.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KES328 View Post
When viewing the video it appeared to me that the G rather than absorbing the crash survived the crash based on the side of the car being sheered off. Both cars ended up in different spots relative to the barrier based on how they took the hit.
That was exactly my observation as well. I feel the TL "did well" for the same reason. The side kind of peel off and i bounced off sideways, avoiding real head on contact, whereas some of the other cars got caught to a dead stop by the cage. But perhaps that happened by design. I am pretty sure that was the case with the Volvo S60, but not quite sure whether a couple of the ones that did well lucked out or did well by design.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Well, your budget is a big factor.

If you're max spend is $40k, then you probably should go with the G. Because you're basically going to end up with a stripped down 328. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but even though I am fanatical BMW enthusiast, I'm also very practical and concerned about getting top value for my money. Honestly, if I had a $40k max budget, I wouldn't even be looking at the 328. You just can't get all the goodies and creature comforts for $40k. You're basically buying the badge and that's it.
It's $40K street price and $43K MSRP. I would not be passing up anything I actually want. Something like Sport line + leather + wood + Xenons gives me just about what I want. I might also consider lux line + premium + DHP + Xenons for a little more. With the G37, I don't have a choice of leaving out anything I don't want. It comes fully loaded.

Btwy, the 328i configs I am considering are hard to find since it seems like many dealers prefer to stick with the base no-line and progressively pile on the packages/options.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Double wishbone is inherently superior to the McPherson struts employed by BMW. It is also more expensive - one would expect it to be on BMWs.
It is on the higher model BMWs and I thought it was going to make it on the new 3. I think the new setup it not the old simple struts. It may have an extra arm or something else.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
It is on the higher model BMWs and I thought it was going to make it on the new 3. I think the new setup it not the old simple struts. It may have an extra arm or something else.
The struts on the 3 Series are like the pushrods in Corvette V8s, the live axle in a Mustang Boss 302 and the enging hanging out behind the rear axle on a Porsche 911. Perhaps not the latest or most sophisticated technology but it has been highly devoloped and refined over the years and works very well and in many cases better than cars with "more modern" technology.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I would be very tempted by a G37S RWD with a 6mt if it meant $30k+ taxes.
That would mean nearly $13K off MSRP
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That would mean nearly $13K off MSRP
Sounds good to me!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken335i View Post
As for gas consumption, you gotta ask yourself do we really buy these types of cars for fuel efficiency?
If you want to have one car for commute and the weekend, and if you drive about 24Kmiles/year, then it does become a factor.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by g37to335i View Post
Nope, the ATS will be dethroned by the Q50 (formerly G37). That's why I never got concerned about the ATS
And how do you know this? Very unlikely.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 01-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
And how do you know this? Very unlikely.
To us who have owned the g37 it's rather obvious but only time will tell for the doubters
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
To us who have owned the g37 it's rather obvious but only time will tell for the doubters
By what measure do you say ATS is dethroned by the Q50, when the time comes?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
By what measure do you say ATS is dethroned by the Q50, when the time comes?
First off, the ATS is not wearing any throne. The 3er is still the benchmark.

The throne I am talking about is the wannabe 3er throne which one fester here gave to the G 37. As one who drives the G and found it to be the closest thing to the 3er I agree with this fester. This was before the ATS came. I see in the ATS exactly what the G37 accomplished, some wins over the 3er, listed in the C&D ten best (twice btw once with the vq35hr and once with the vq37), wards ten best (once with the 306hp engine although the earlier engines made it there too), some accolades for best interior, best residual value, some kbb awards, consumer reports best entru level sports sedan, the list is long. Bear in mind the ATS is yet to accomplish some of these. By the time we got to the 2010 model years it was becoming apparent that the 3er was just supreme. The S4 also came but its still not the benchmark. Anyway wait for the Detroit Auto show when the Q50 ( formerly G37) will be unveiled. That will be the death of the ATS as the wannabe 3er. The guys at Nissan have the upperhand at this game.

Last edited by g37to335i; 01-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I was a little confused when you used the word "dethroned."

Quote:
The throne I am talking about is the wannabe 3er throne which one fester here gave to the G 37. As one who drives the G and found it to be the closest thing to the 3er I agree with this fester. This was before the ATS came. I see in the ATS exactly what the G37 accomplished, some wins over the 3er, listed in the C&D ten best (twice btw once with the vq35hr and once with the vq37), wards ten best (once with the 306hp engine although the earlier engines made it there too), some accolades for best interior, best residual value, some kbb awards, consumer reports best entru level sports sedan, the list is long. Bear in mind the ATS is yet to accomplish some of these. By the time we got to the 2010 model years it was becoming apparent that the 3er was just supreme. The S4 also came but its still not the benchmark. Anyway wait for the Detroit Auto show when the Q50 ( formerly G37) will be unveiled. That will be the death of the ATS as the wannabe 3er. The guys at Nissan have the upperhand at this game.
I have driven G37, it is not close to the 3 than the ATS, in fact I think in terms of chassis tuning, ATS is closer to 3 than 3 is today, but that is just my opinion.

I am interested to see how Q50 does. It has nothing to do with how many awards it will get, but how close or better than the F30 in driving dynamics. I have more doubts about it than the ATS, because ATS was designed with E46 in mind. I don't think Nissan had the same goal. But I don't mind if Nissan surprises me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I was a little confused when you used the word "dethroned."

I have driven G37, it is not close to the 3 than the ATS, in fact I think in terms of chassis tuning, ATS is closer to 3 than 3 is today, but that is just my opinion.

I am interested to see how Q50 does. It has nothing to do with how many awards it will get, but how close or better than the F30 in driving dynamics. I have more doubts about it than the ATS, because ATS was designed with E46 in mind. I don't think Nissan had the same goal. But I don't mind if Nissan surprises me.
If the issue is will the E46 win over the F30 then I think the answer there will be no. Prior to the ATS yes the G37 was closer. Now the ATS is closer but the Q50 whose chassis should be the same as the C class, should take care of business in a couple of months. Infiniti appeals to a young generation. At some stage we have to let go of the E46, it has its place in history.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
The G37 couldn't "dethrone" a E90 328i, what makes you think the upcoming model will "dethrone" the ATS.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:

ATS has accomplished MORE than expected and it is considered by many to be the best sport sedan on the market today.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 01-03-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
The G37 couldn't "dethrone" a E90 328i, what makes you think the upcoming model will "dethrone" the ATS.
What makes you think the ATS would dethrone the same 328i. The Motortrend guys who gave the ATS the nod clearly stated the best car wasn't there, the 328i. I am not sure this is where you want to take this
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
ATS has accomplished MORE than expected and it is considered by many to be the best sport sedan on the market today.
It has not accomplished more than the G37 or G35 in their respective first years. Wait for the Q50, it still needs to overcome that hurdle and I don't see it happening, that's just my view.