Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Questions

Just checking to see if anyone else having issues with windshield wipers and start/stop button:
1 - are there just two regular speeds plus rain sensor option? Most have three speeds I would think.
2 - rain sensor not sensitive enough at it's strongest setting. In light rain sometimes the windshield is completely covered with rain drops and I have to press down on the arm to wipe off the water as the sensor fails to respond.

3 - Too many times having to press the start/stop button after the first time is not responsive. My other cars have no hesitation at all.

No major issues but may be different from unit to unit as my 2011 X5 was not an issue from my memory. The third wiper-speed was a question my wife brought up. Thanks
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
1 - are there just two regular speeds plus rain sensor option? Most have three speeds I would think.
Most? Name one car that has 3 speeds (as oppose to modes) for wipers.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Not sure really, I usually leave them on sensor mode but before that low, medium, and high.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

I've never seen it in any modern car. Re other points,
2 - same here, usually when rain slows down and then intensifies back, the sensor doesn't always pick up. I attribute it to the windshield getting dirty too gradually for the sensor. A bit annoying.
3 - compared to MINI (other BMW product), X5 requires more prolonged push, as if there's a programmed delay. Not sure about the reasons behind it, but I find a similar delay b/w depressing brake & disengaging parking brake, too often I get "apply foot brake.." message even though I did step on the brakes - now that's very annoying.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

I will be in for first service on the 14th and will go over these issues and post their feedback. Drove my wife's LS 460 over the weekend and wiper sensor and push start was a totally different experience but I guess no one has it all. Goes to show that my problems are small when this is at the top of the list.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
I have Rainsense in my 2012 Caddy CTS, along with the X5.

The system in the CTS requires much less intervention than the one in the X5. During a recent drive in a snow storm, I was forever fiddling with it. Either it was going too fast, or it would let the windshield get completely covered before starting up again.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Small things often go a long way; to this day I remember how my old land rover would automatically turn on rear wiper when reversing in a rain, or engage front parktronic when crawling... and if diesel LR4 was available here, I'd probably choose it over X5.