Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
How much research did you do before getting your F30?

A. I just went to the dealership to trade my E90 in and they said I should get one.
B. I asked a friend how they liked theirs and looked at a comparison review video on YouTube.
C. I read a few reviews online on most popular websites and browsed all the info on BMW's official website.
D. I dug a little deeper, went on several forums online and searched for more detailed opinions from people who actually own an F30 and had been driving the car for a while. Looked at more than a few videos and squeezed every little bit of info I could from my salesperson at the dealership during the test drive.
E. I'm a walking F30 encyclopedia.

GIVE AN HONEST ANSWER PLEASE!
I am posting this partially because you guys were right (all the forum veterans) - there indeed seems to be a new thread every day about someone not being able to get their X generation iPod to work with their new F30 so I just wonder whether I really am one of the few people out there who still read manuals
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
A. I just went to the dealership to trade my E90 in and they said I should get one.
B. I asked a friend how they liked theirs and looked at a comparison review video on YouTube.
C. I read a few reviews online on most popular websites and browsed all the info on BMW's official website.
D. I dug a little deeper, went on several forums online and searched for more detailed opinions from people who actually own an F30 and had been driving the car for a while. Looked at more than a few videos and squeezed every little bit of info I could from my salesperson at the dealership during the test drive.

I am posting this partially because you guys were right (all the forum veterans) - there indeed seems to be a new thread every day about someone not being able to get their X generation iPod to work with their new F30 so I just wonder whether I really am one of the few people out there who still read manuals
Basically I knew what I wanted in the car from owning other BMW's and "TEST DRIVE". Also had a very very good CA at JMK BMW. I'm also one of the few people that read and reread the manual. good luck
cheers
ven
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 12-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
i knew i wanted the car but I still did a lot of research via this site and a couple others. thankfully the car is in its 2nd yr of production and i didn't have to dig too deep in the forums.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
i knew i wanted the car but I still did a lot of research via this site and a couple others. thankfully the car is in its 2nd yr of production and i didn't have to dig too deep in the forums.
Can you really say the second year of production? It was only a few months in 2012.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Quote:

I will say D for me. Asked a lot of questions on this forum, and to my CA. I actually did a test drive after ordering the car just to convince my wife that this was the car for us.
Also, since i'm a tall guy, the size increase from the E90 was a major factor for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
328XI *****

Mein Auto: 328XI-2007
I am between D & E.

Another JMK BMW - NJ buyer here. I spent roughly 50hrs day & night studying about lease. Searched all pricing sections of e90post, f30post and bimmerfest forums. The idea was clear.

I used http://leaseguide.com/calc.htm to calculate my lease.

Last edited by capriguy84; 12-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
We had a 2004 Infinti G35 Coupe, 6MT (Excellent car!) and wanted something a little bigger. The short list was Infiniti G37 Sport, MB C350, and BMW 335. Didn't even test drive the MB 'cause the wife thought it looked to stodgy. The BMW test drive sealed the drive over the Infiniti. Did a bit of interenet research prior to coming up with the short list. In the end, we can not be more pleased with our decision.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
I was somewhere between C and D. Wish I was more toward D as I have a few minor regrets. But, in the end, I'm quite pleased with my first Bimmer!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
A. I just went to the dealership to trade my E90 in and they said I should get one. Of course the dealer wants to sell you a new F30 and get your E90 trade in!
B. I asked a friend how they liked theirs and looked at a comparison review video on YouTube. Always find someone with a like car and find out about the dealer you are considering purchasing from, but consider the source as they may not want you to have the same car as them
C. I read a few reviews online on most popular websites and browsed all the info on BMW's official website. I read everything I could get my hands on from multiple sources both pro and con.
D. I dug a little deeper, went on several forums online and searched for more detailed opinions from people who actually own an F30 and had been driving the car for a while. Looked at more than a few videos and squeezed every little bit of info I could from my salesperson at the dealership during the test drive. Did the same and even had two different Olympic drive events where we are able to compare cars, one drive comparing an Audi A4/335i and a Cadillac CTS/328i and still test drove an ATS on the side. Then after picking the 3-series, I had to see each color and went to multiple dealers just to see the different colors
E. I'm a walking F30 encyclopedia. Yes, when I can tell you what the options and packages are, what each one contains and the cost from the top of my head

Final thought, when I put down the deposit for the 328i, my Wife's first words were "Finally, its over!" with a smile and a sigh of relief because I had become obsessed And yes I have read the paper manual cover to cover but not even opened the Manual from the iDrive!?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
I was somewhere between C and D. Wish I was more toward D as I have a few minor regrets. But, in the end, I'm quite pleased with my first Bimmer!
What is your regret? Mine is that I had my price limit of $45K (Invoice + $500 total), should have paid the extra $900 ($820 invoice cost) to get lighting package but I would have been $800 over my limit. (but what are limits for?)

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 12-27-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
I have simply known that a 328i is the perfect car for me, I've wanted one for 10 years. I've driven a few over the years, and always loved them. To be honest I don't think I even needed to test drive it.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

I didn't have to do any research at all since I knew I was moving from an E90 to an F30 no matter what it looked like. BMW could have put four wheels on a sack of potatoes, I'd still have leased it.

The only information I needed was in the details about the different Lines and the nuances of Technology Package differences between the '12 and '13 models which I was able to obtain in one thread I created here.

I felt that a 4 cylinder motor would be beneath me, but upon reading a review by Emission on this site as well as the first 30 seconds of my 328i test drive made me realize my false assumption and I was thrilled to re-up in the 328i.

My only regret is the assumption that the Adaptive M Suspension would be too harsh for my needs; it was only after the car was built that I realized that it was a magic-presto-chango suspension that could tighten on the fly and soften on the fly, but a sway bar will fix my only issue with my car- slight body roll in severe turns.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-27-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Can you really say the second year of production? It was only a few months in 2012.
cheers
vern
i just ordered on black friday
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
I have done too much research already and I haven't even bought the car, and I am not sure when and if I will end up with one . But before my final decision, I will find a way to rent the car for one day and use it on my commute.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Based on my previous experiences with BMW I was sold immediately after the F30 was revealed and test driven by the pros. It took me a whole 15 minutes to figure out that I wanted a sportline. I might have ordered a modern line if I could have gotten sport auto transmission.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: Cur: Porsche(s), Audi, MB
In the process of gathering C and D (not to be confused with or exclude Car and Driver) information now. This will most likely be an additional versus replacement car for me, so I have some time for review. The 3 series is on my short list, which also includes the 535 and a few others. I like the slightly larger than previous 3, have a larger car and SUV now, so I don't really need the extra size of the 535, but love the looks. I'm one who appreciates the design continuity among the 3, 5 & 7, so the 3 now comes more into play. I'm usually more immediate/impulsive in my car purchases when I know exactly what I want, but admittedly the research and hunt is also part of the fun.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
This is my fourth car in a row where I never spoke to the salesperson. If you go into a dealership and try to negotiate, you're doing yourself a disservice. Yes, it's possible to negotiate a good deal in person, but the odds are against it, unless you're very experienced. And what's the point, unless you're talking about a car in their stock that you must have right this second. Unlikely, for most. Negotiate from a position of strength, behind your computer, at your home, once you've educated yourself to the fullest extent, possible.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
B, C, D and E

B, C, D and E.

Checked out my friend's E90.

Read all reviews - good and bad, pros and cons. Read all comparisons BMW vs Audi/MB/Porsche, read all comparisons, A4, A6, S4, C/E class.
Read everything about all BMW technologies - x-Drive, dynamic dampers, adaptive suspension, I6, etc.

Test-drove 335i coupe, 335is, f30 328i xDrive in no line, sports line and msport line, then f30 335i xDrive in sports line and msport line. Also test drove A4 and A6. After driving 335i right after 328i, decided on 335i

Been lurking on bimmerfest, e90post, f30post.
Learnt about leasing and financing across many websites including the bimmerfest wiki. Not to forget walking through the members' own calculations.

I love reading about new owners' problems and solutions - kind of prepares me what to expect and how to get around them. Also tells me of different fun-stuff that I might miss while reading the manuals. Biggest as of now - how to bond f30 with android phones..
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
What is your regret? Mine is that I had my price limit of $45K (Invoice + $500 total), should have paid the extra $900 ($820 invoice cost) to get lighting package but I would have been $800 over my limit. (but what are limits for?)
Mine is similar. If I were to do it again, at the same point in time, I'd be inclined to do the Sport line rather than Base. I loaded my Base, but I'd love to have a few of the goodies from a Sport line, plus a few options I didn't choose. If I were to do it again right now, I'd be extremely tempted to go for an Estoril Blue M Sport. However, I love my Imperial Blue base F30 328. I've had it since June and have enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. I still find myself doing double and triple takes of the car in admiration. It's my first Bimmer.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:

Between D and E. I spent weeks goign through a detailed comparison of the 4 cars that made my short list, then weeks more going and test driving the F30 with all the different transmissions and stereo options, with hours upon hours on the 'net and in the forums of this and other BMW sites. I think I am going to be very happy! I have already read the manual and plotted out the maintenance schedule for my car which is weeks away. I am very conservative and don't jump into any major decision lightly, though.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
D
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: F30 '13 328i xDrive
D - These forums in particular were an invaluable resource. I've never known so much about a car before and it made the actual purchase very easy. The only hard part has been waiting for my car to get here!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I have no interest in an F30 but may be interested in a 4 Series which will probably for all practical purposes be an almost identical car in terms of features, driving dynamics, etc. I have already started my research by reading F30 reviews, following this thread, etc. So far I have not seen any posts from an F30 driver that indicates they regret their decision.

Before I decide on any car I will do an extended test drive in the environment I will be driving the car in. Quite frankly if I had done that with the 335 I never would have purchased it. I learned my lesson and drove a 7 for 500 miles before I pulled the trigger.

I solved my issues with the E93 but that is the last time I will mod a brand new car to make it drivable in my environment.

So far I have not seen a post by anyone on this forum who purchased (or leased) an F30 that has indicated that they regret their decision.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-29-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
D for me. I actually was very close to deciding on an Audi S5 Cab but really liked the new F30 design and thought the car was more practical for me. Custom ordered one and it will be in around two weeks. Getting excited!

This forum was rather helpful in negotiating options and pricing! Maybe I'll end up in 4 series cab in a few years!!

Last edited by DSTJ99; 12-29-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i-Xdrive
0, went to the dealer with my mother since she was buying one, test drove, signed papers and now there's two BMW owners in my family.